Scenic train ride options -from Luzern

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 October 2017 at 21:37:49 #813528

Hello

I am going from Luzern to Grindelwald tomorrow. I did not take any scenic train packet until now. I think Glacier Express is not for me? Right? What about Golden Pass? Should I go to Montreux or stop Zweisimmen? I don’t want to spend so much time also. If I complete route go to Montreux , how can I go to Grindelwald ?

Best one is Glacier Express?? Must for Switzerland trip?

Thank you for your recommendations .

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    19 October 2017 at 6:23:30 #871076

Hi Traveller 17 –

I’m not quite sure whether youare asking about a trip in addition to your trip between Luzern abd Grindelwald?

That trip travels on part of the Golden Pass route. specifically, on the portion of the Golden Pass route called “The Luzern-Interlaken Express” between Luzern and Interlaken Ost, via the Brunig Pass. There is some nice scenery along that route. Once you reach Interlaken Ost, you change trains for Grindelwald. It is a side trip from the Golden Pass route.

http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass

The most scenic part of the Golden Pass Route is the part from Zweisimmen to Montreux.

To understand that, you can use this map, enter some of the city/town names above in the search box, and see where each one is on the map.

map.search.ch/?pos=648576,179200&z=2

I have zoomed in a little bit so you can see Montreux.

map.search.ch/?pos=599680,154048&z=4.

Zoom in more and you can see the train lines. This view shows the line between Interlaken and Grindelwald.

map.search.ch/?pos=642528,167384&z=32

The glacier Express runs in a completely different part of Switzerland, and is not near the places you have named. If you wish to take it, you will have to do some more traveling.

Check this link and use the map to search for various city names mentioned in this link. Then you can see where the Glacier Express runs:

http://www.myswissalps.com/gl acierexpress

This link discusses scenic trains:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ac tivities/scenictrips/t rain

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 October 2017 at 10:19:47 #871077

Thank you so much

I am in Interlaken stat. I cant decide to go to Grindelwald directly or should take golden pass till Montreux.

Could you help please?

I have only 2 days including today.

Best regards

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    19 October 2017 at 12:25:56 #871078

If the weather is clear, go to Grindelwald and the Jungfrau.

If not, go to Montreux.

Ask tourist info office in Interlaken about the weather at the Jungfrau and Männlichen.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Scenic train ride options -from Luzern’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.