Which train pass is best for 7 days Wengen/Lucerne

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 August 2017 at 16:14:46 #812911

I will be travelling with 3 adults 2 Seniors and kids ages 17,13,13,10 from zurich to wengen( will spend 3 days here) and to lucerne(3 days here ) return to zurich airport. Should i buy the half fare ? 8 day swiss pass or the tell pass?

Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 August 2017 at 6:02:31 #868150

Hi rushvin and welcome to MySwissAlps!

The only way to know which pass is best for you economically is to visit out page on How to choose the best rail pass. There is an Excel sheet to help you do the math as well, but you need to plan out all the trips you plan on making to know for sure (bus, train, cable car, boat).

The Tell Pass only covers the Luzern area so it wouldn’t be your best option. You will want to focus on either the Swiss Half Fare Card or the Swiss Travel Pass. With either rail pass you can get the Swiss Family Card as well (free add-on) for the 3 youngest kids. The 17 year old can get a youth discount on the Swiss Travel Pass.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 August 2017 at 10:41:51 #868151

Thanks Lucas ! It looks like there are two different prices for half fare 120 and 185 why is that and I can not order it online since I plan to use it on the 15 aug . Is my best option to buy it at the airport ?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 August 2017 at 12:15:21 #868152

Hi rushvin,

The Swiss Half Fare Card (SHFC) is 120CHF not 185 (this is a different product for Swiss residents only).

You can certainly buy the Swiss Half Fare Card online. Click my link on my previous post for the SHFC and click the price tab.

Lucas

• The thread ‘Which train pass is best for 7 days Wengen/Lucerne’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.