Travel pass for 7 days Lucerne, Jungfrau, Zermatt?

• GoSWZ
    Participant
    4 posts
    26 June 2018 at 22:38:11 #816914

Hi, we’re traveling to Switzerland first time this August. The trip will be In/Out from Paris and planning to take trains while in Switzerland. The trip itinerary as following:

– Lucerne 1 day

– Grindelwald 2 days

– Wengen 2 days

– Zermatt 2 days

– fom Genova back to Paris.

Will be 7 whole days in Switzerland, we’ll spend most of our time for hiking. I’ve booked all the hotels. I’d like to know which pass would fit this trip. Your recommendation would be highly appreciated!

Sincerely, Annie

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 June 2018 at 6:19:21 #889536

Hi Annie and welcome to MySwissAlps!

To know which rail pass is the best for your specific itinerary you need to plan out all trips you will make (train, bus, boat, cable car) and compare the prices for regular tickets to the rail pass price (and which routes/mountains are free or discounted). Once you have that information you can read our page here on how to choose the best rail pass. There is a spreadsheet there to help with the math. 🙂

https://www.myswissalp s.com/train/ticketspas ses/practical/choosera ilpass

A side thought: you may want to consider (if hotels can be changed) staying in either Wengen or Grindelwald – they are very close to each other and saves you the time/hassle of switching hotels.

GoSWZ
    Participant
    4 posts
    27 June 2018 at 15:52:06 #889537

Good Morning Lucas,

Thank you for the warm welcome!

Totally agree with you for the location of Wengen and Grindelwald hotel, they’re about 1:30 hour away by train. Our plan in Grindelwald is hike from First to the Bachsee, as well as Breinz and Thun lake in Interlaken area. If have extra time, we’d like to take the train from Grindelwald to Bern. The major mission in Wengen ares Jungfraujoch, Schynige and the Golden Pass Line.

We definitely like to experience all the science trains in Switzerland :-)))

I’ve heard the Swiss Pass may cover from France to Switzerland, is that true? We’ll have 4 days in Paris. Should the Euro France + Switzerland Pass working better for my trip?

Thank you so very much for the information !!!!

Annie

Arno
    15471 posts
    27 June 2018 at 17:29:44 #889538

Hi Annie,

An 8-day Swiss Travel Pass is likely the best option, but the spreadsheet can give you the definitive answer. It covers Switzerland, so for the trip to Paris you would need a ticket from the border to Paris: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/france. The border is either Geneva or Basel. Traveling via Basel is usually quicker.

A Eurail Pass may make sense if you plan more trips in France than a trip to/from Paris only. It won’t be very useful in Wengen and Grindelwald, so I would not spend too much time in exploring that option.

GoSWZ
    Participant
    4 posts
    27 June 2018 at 17:45:14 #889539

Great, thank you for the recommendation. Do we need book the Swiss pass in advance or we can get when we arrived in Switzerland?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 June 2018 at 18:51:57 #889540

Hi Annie,

It would be more convenient to buy the Swiss Travel Pass online. It can be emailed to you and printed at home (saving you time at the airport and giving you a copy to print out again in case you lose your pass).

https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisstravelpass/ price

GoSWZ
    Participant
    4 posts
    27 June 2018 at 20:17:30 #889541

Awesome, I’ll definitely get the Pass before I head to Switzerland :-))))))

Appreciated all your guidance !!!!

• The thread ‘Travel pass for 7 days Lucerne, Jungfrau, Zermatt?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10720 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.