Which travel pass for Zurich, Interlaken, Zermatt?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 July 2017 at 1:21:28 #812517

Hi there,

We will go Switzerland for a 9-day trip in Aug with the following itinerary and would like to know if a 8-day Swiss travel pass is well enough to cover the transportation fee or 4 days within a month pass plus a half price card…….

1 Home–> Zurich

2Zurich→Bern→Interlaken

3 Interlaken–>Grindelward→ Kleine Scheidegg → Jungraujoch → Kleine Scheidegg –>Lauterbrunnen →Interlaken

4 Interlaken → Grindelwald →First–> Grindelward

5 Grindelward→Mannlichen → Kleine Scheidegg →Wengen → Lauterbrunnen →Grindelward

6 Grubdekward Grund →Interlaken → Zermatt →Wegen→Riffel See →Zermatt

7 Zermatt →Rothorn Paradise–>Zermatt

8 Zermatt →Zurich

9 Zurich→Home

Many thanks in advance

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    5 July 2017 at 3:09:18 #866242

Hi BlueBlue,

A 4-day STP-Flex + a Swiss half-fare card will cost you CHF298 + CHF120 = CHF418. An 8-day STP will cost you CHF376 so I’d say that option is better especially as you gain the convenience of not having to buy individual tickets.

Whether a Pass is good value or not depends entirely on how the cost compares to buying full-fare tickets. You can only confirm that by doing the math. See http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass

When I was planning my recent trip I gave up on the math and just went for the pass for its convenience value. I was surprised how much I actually saved versus individual tickets.

Where is “Home”?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 July 2017 at 4:05:16 #866243

HI Rockoyster,

Many thanks for your reply and sorry for a typo there, should be a 8-days pass Vs half fare card only instead of 4day pass+ half fare card

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    5 July 2017 at 4:15:14 #866244

LOL. So an 8-day pass will cost you CHF47/day. I can’t see how you wouldn’t pay at least that per day given your itinerary. eg Day = CHF70 right off the bat. Zermatt to Zurich = CHF126. Two days and you are halfway to recovering your costs for the pass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 July 2017 at 5:05:41 #866245

Got it, many thanks again

• The thread ‘Which travel pass for Zurich, Interlaken, Zermatt?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.