Which travel pass for Zurich, Interlaken, Zermatt?

Which travel pass for Zurich, Interlaken, Zermatt?

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
blueblue
blueblue
3 posts
Jul 5, 2017 - 1:21 AM

Hi there,

We will go Switzerland for a 9-day trip in Aug with the following itinerary and would like to know if a 8-day Swiss travel pass is well enough to cover the transportation fee or 4 days within a month pass plus a half price card…….

1 Home--> Zurich

2Zurich→Bern→Interlaken

3 Interlaken-->Grindelward→ Kleine Scheidegg → Jungraujoch → Kleine Scheidegg -->Lauterbrunnen →Interlaken

4 Interlaken → Grindelwald →First--> Grindelward

5 Grindelward→Mannlichen → Kleine Scheidegg →Wengen → Lauterbrunnen →Grindelward

6 Grubdekward Grund →Interlaken → Zermatt →Wegen→Riffel See →Zermatt

7 Zermatt →Rothorn Paradise-->Zermatt

8 Zermatt →Zurich

9 Zurich→Home

Many thanks in advance

rockoyster
rockoyster
929 posts
top member
Jul 5, 2017 - 3:09 AM in reply to blueblue

Hi BlueBlue,

A 4-day STP-Flex + a Swiss half-fare card will cost you CHF298 + CHF120 = CHF418. An 8-day STP will cost you CHF376 so I'd say that option is better especially as you gain the convenience of not having to buy individual tickets.

Whether a Pass is good value or not depends entirely on how the cost compares to buying full-fare tickets. You can only confirm that by doing the math. See www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass

When I was planning my recent trip I gave up on the math and just went for the pass for its convenience value. I was surprised how much I actually saved versus individual tickets.

Where is "Home"?

blueblue
blueblue
3 posts
Jul 5, 2017 - 4:05 AM in reply to rockoyster

HI Rockoyster,

Many thanks for your reply and sorry for a typo there, should be a 8-days pass Vs half fare card only instead of 4day pass+ half fare card

rockoyster
rockoyster
929 posts
top member
Jul 5, 2017 - 4:15 AM in reply to blueblue

LOL. So an 8-day pass will cost you CHF47/day. I can't see how you wouldn't pay at least that per day given your itinerary. eg Day = CHF70 right off the bat. Zermatt to Zurich = CHF126. Two days and you are halfway to recovering your costs for the pass.

blueblue
blueblue
3 posts
Jul 5, 2017 - 5:05 AM in reply to rockoyster

Got it, many thanks again

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2017