Which travel pass for Zurich, Interlaken, Zermatt?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
blueblue
blueblue
3 posts
Jul 5, 2017 - 1:21 AM

Hi there,

We will go Switzerland for a 9-day trip in Aug with the following itinerary and would like to know if a 8-day Swiss travel pass is well enough to cover the transportation fee or 4 days within a month pass plus a half price card…….

1 Home--> Zurich

2Zurich→Bern→Interlaken

3 Interlaken-->Grindelward→ Kleine Scheidegg → Jungraujoch → Kleine Scheidegg -->Lauterbrunnen →Interlaken

4 Interlaken → Grindelwald →First--> Grindelward

5 Grindelward→Mannlichen → Kleine Scheidegg →Wengen → Lauterbrunnen →Grindelward

6 Grubdekward Grund →Interlaken → Zermatt →Wegen→Riffel See →Zermatt

7 Zermatt →Rothorn Paradise-->Zermatt

8 Zermatt →Zurich

9 Zurich→Home

Many thanks in advance

rockoyster
rockoyster
4963 posts
expert
Jul 5, 2017 - 3:09 AM in reply to blueblue

Hi BlueBlue,

A 4-day STP-Flex + a Swiss half-fare card will cost you CHF298 + CHF120 = CHF418. An 8-day STP will cost you CHF376 so I'd say that option is better especially as you gain the convenience of not having to buy individual tickets.

Whether a Pass is good value or not depends entirely on how the cost compares to buying full-fare tickets. You can only confirm that by doing the math. See www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass

When I was planning my recent trip I gave up on the math and just went for the pass for its convenience value. I was surprised how much I actually saved versus individual tickets.

Where is "Home"?

blueblue
blueblue
3 posts
Jul 5, 2017 - 4:05 AM in reply to rockoyster

HI Rockoyster,

Many thanks for your reply and sorry for a typo there, should be a 8-days pass Vs half fare card only instead of 4day pass+ half fare card

rockoyster
rockoyster
4963 posts
expert
Jul 5, 2017 - 4:15 AM in reply to blueblue

LOL. So an 8-day pass will cost you CHF47/day. I can't see how you wouldn't pay at least that per day given your itinerary. eg Day = CHF70 right off the bat. Zermatt to Zurich = CHF126. Two days and you are halfway to recovering your costs for the pass.

blueblue
blueblue
3 posts
Jul 5, 2017 - 5:05 AM in reply to rockoyster

Got it, many thanks again

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019