Which Travel Pass to Purchase

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 March 2015 at 20:04:55 #806968

In early May, I will travel from Basel to Lucerne (two days in Lucerne), from Lucerne to Lauterbrunnen (for two days), from Lauterbrunnen to Interlaken (for two days), and from Interlaken to Zurich on the final day. During our time in these places, we would like to take a boat trip on Lake Lucerne and a few mountain trips, Including Jungfraujoch. We don’t plan to visit museums. I have read a lot of information about rail passes, but I am still confused and uncertain about which pass makes the most sense. Any recommendations you have would be greatly appreciated.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    10 March 2015 at 20:10:34 #841979

Hi jwcod,

Did you check this guide? Did it help you?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 March 2015 at 23:01:07 #841980

I tried, but it got too confusing for me.

Arno
    15471 posts
    11 March 2015 at 8:28:54 #841981

Hi jwcod,

I understand; doing the math can be a bit complex. We’ve already discussed your question here, and I suggested to choose between the 8-day Swiss Travel Pass and the Swiss Half Fare Card. The only way to find out which one works out cheaper is to do the calculations as explained in the guide. I expect the Swiss Half Fare Card to be the winner here, but again, we can’t be 100% sure until the math is done. You can also decide based on convenience: with a Swiss Half Fare Card, you need to buy tickets for each trip. With a Swiss Travel Pass, you can simply board any train, bus or boat (including Lake Lucerne). So you’re more flexible and quicker. Mount Rigi near Lucerne is free as well with a Swiss Travel Pass.

Does this help to decide?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 March 2015 at 12:50:57 #841982

Yes, this is very helpful. Thank you again.

• The thread ‘Which Travel Pass to Purchase’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.