White Christmas in Switzerland: where to stay/go

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Kooala
Kooala
3 posts
Sep 14, 2018 - 7:44 AM

Hello and thank you to everyone who reads this. I am traveling by air to Zurich from Dic 22- Jan 1th. We are a couple and a 7 year old child longing for a white christmas, visiting beautiful towns and experiencing the natural wonders of Switzerland. But I am very confused about where to go. I’ve booked the 10 nights stay at a hotel in Lucerne and thought about moving from there to other small towns and mountain and lakes... but I think it might be overwhelming for mi 7 year old son. Or maybe stay 5 nights in Lucerne and somwhere else? Also is it better to rent a car o get a train pass? I’ve been planning for a month but haven’t really found a solution. Thank you for All ypu help! Carla

Lucas
Lucas
9627 posts
expert &
Sep 14, 2018 - 2:08 PM in reply to Kooala

Hi Kooala and welcome to MySwissAlps!

For a 10 night stay, I think at least 2 base towns is a good idea - to prevent long travel days assuming you are interested in exploring outside of Lucerne.

Lucerne (www.myswissalps.com/lu cerne) is a very nice and popular town so I think having it as one base town makes sense.

To decide on the 2nd (or 3rd) base town, you'll need to decide on what you want to do during your trip and where it is located in Switzerland.

Other towns or regions that are popular to stay in are Montreux, Zermatt and the Jungfrau region. Read through the links below to see what appeals to you.

Also, look through our suggested activities page to see what you want to do and where they are/how to get there: www.myswissalps.com/ac tivities

WE always recommend traveling around Switzerland by train over car: www.myswissalps.com/ca rversustrain

To help you plan your train trips around the country, use the Swiss railways timetable here: www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

and to help you pick the best rail pass (once you've decided where you are going and where you are staying) look here: www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass

Last modified on Sep 14, 2018 - 2:08 PM by Lucas
Arno
Arno
11364 posts
expert &
Sep 16, 2018 - 12:28 PM

Hi Kooala,

If you prefer to stay somewhere with snow on the ground (rather than having to travel up the mountains for snow), you'd best pick a town as high as possible. Lucas mentioned Zermatt, which is a good option. The Upper Engadine area would be an option as well: www.myswissalps.com/up perengadine. Even then, a white Christmas is not guaranteed nowadays, but you'll have a good chance.

Just let us know if you have more questions.

Last modified on Sep 16, 2018 - 12:28 PM by Arno
Kooala
Kooala
3 posts
Sep 27, 2018 - 11:24 AM in reply to Lucas

Thank you Lucas and Arno!! You helped me very much. cheers!

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
5170 posts
expert
Sep 28, 2018 - 12:58 AM in reply to Kooala

Maybe Engelberg and Titlis, from your base in Luzern?

www.myswissalps.com/ti tlis

At that altitude. you'll surely find some snow.

Slowpoke

Kooala
Kooala
3 posts
Oct 2, 2018 - 8:16 AM in reply to Slowpoke

That’s a fantastic idea. Thank you!

cam223
cam223
75 posts
Oct 4, 2018 - 3:05 PM

Christmas in Zermatt is very busy and booked far in advance. I would make my reservations as soon as possible. Lodgings, restaurants , etc are booked months in advance. The sooner that you make plans the better it will be for a great holiday.

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018