WiFi vs SIM card for 10 days in Lucerne

WiFi vs SIM card for 10 days in Lucerne

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Manivannan
Manivannan
4 posts
Mar 11, 2018 - 11:54 AM

Hi, I'll be travelling with my family with 2 children, from 4th June to 14th June.

a) i) I wish to check if most tourist attractions locations and Malls, are they covered with any free WiFi access.

ii)Do i need to purchase any Sim card for the period of stay, that can be shared with my family (Data/ Hotspot). which sim is recommended.

b) next, I'll be reaching Lucerne around 12pm.

i) Will i have enough time to do a trip to Rigis attraction on the same day. Maybe by boat trip from Lucerne to Vitznau, then take a cogwheel to Rigi Kulm or is it faster to do it by train ride to Rigi.

Arno
Arno
11140 posts
expert &
Mar 11, 2018 - 12:15 PM

Hi Manuvannan, welcome to MySwissAlps!

a) i) I rarely rely on such free Wifi access points. It's hard to tell how secure they are and if they work well. I do use them in places where I stay longer, like hotels. Whether free Wifi is widely available in shopping centers and tourist attractions I don't know, I don't really paid attention to it. If internet access is important to you I'd recommend a SIM card (and use your phone as a hotspot for the other family members), or even better: a Wifi hotspot so you don't need to switch your SIM card. Here's some information about internet access in the trains: www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/practical/internet.

a) ii) You'll find our recommendations here: www.myswissalps.com/si mcard

b) i) Yes, that should be possible in an afternoon, even with the boat included. You'll find details to plan this trip here: www.myswissalps.com/ri gi.

rockoyster
rockoyster
3908 posts
expert
Mar 11, 2018 - 11:14 PM in reply to Manivannan

As an addition to Arno's recommendations I would add the Salt Pre-pay SIM. I used this in Switzerland last year. Very economical. See www.salt.ch/en/prepay/ (you need to hit the "x" to cancel the pop-up window to see the real deal).

There is a Salt shop in Lucerne or at Zurich Airport if you happen to be arriving there.

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018