WiFi vs SIM card for 10 days in Lucerne

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Manivannan
Manivannan
4 posts
Mar 11, 2018 - 11:54 AM

Hi, I'll be travelling with my family with 2 children, from 4th June to 14th June.

a) i) I wish to check if most tourist attractions locations and Malls, are they covered with any free WiFi access.

ii)Do i need to purchase any Sim card for the period of stay, that can be shared with my family (Data/ Hotspot). which sim is recommended.

b) next, I'll be reaching Lucerne around 12pm.

i) Will i have enough time to do a trip to Rigis attraction on the same day. Maybe by boat trip from Lucerne to Vitznau, then take a cogwheel to Rigi Kulm or is it faster to do it by train ride to Rigi.

Arno
Arno
12129 posts
expert &
Mar 11, 2018 - 12:15 PM

Hi Manuvannan, welcome to MySwissAlps!

a) i) I rarely rely on such free Wifi access points. It's hard to tell how secure they are and if they work well. I do use them in places where I stay longer, like hotels. Whether free Wifi is widely available in shopping centers and tourist attractions I don't know, I don't really paid attention to it. If internet access is important to you I'd recommend a SIM card (and use your phone as a hotspot for the other family members), or even better: a Wifi hotspot so you don't need to switch your SIM card. Here's some information about internet access in the trains: www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/practical/internet.

a) ii) You'll find our recommendations here: www.myswissalps.com/si mcard

b) i) Yes, that should be possible in an afternoon, even with the boat included. You'll find details to plan this trip here: www.myswissalps.com/ri gi.

rockoyster
rockoyster
4620 posts
expert
Mar 11, 2018 - 11:14 PM in reply to Manivannan

As an addition to Arno's recommendations I would add the Salt Pre-pay SIM. I used this in Switzerland last year. Very economical. See www.salt.ch/en/prepay/ (you need to hit the "x" to cancel the pop-up window to see the real deal).

There is a Salt shop in Lucerne or at Zurich Airport if you happen to be arriving there.

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019