Will I be allowed in – UK resident, US passport

• Ilikemountai
    Participant
    2 posts
    15 December 2020 at 18:53:12 #825750

Will I be allowed into Switzerland? The advice here says a British resident would be allowed in, but the uk.gov site says British *nationals* only will be allowed in. I can’t find official information anywhere regarding this situation, and don’t want to be turned back on arrival!

Many thanks in advance for any help.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6382 posts
    15 December 2020 at 20:15:21 #934539

Hi ilikemountai,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

If you are entering Switzerland from the UK and can prove your UK residency , you may be allowed in. However according to the to the Swiss Embassy in the UK website: Non-UK/EU/EFTA citizens may face entry restrictions to Switzerland for a stay of up to three months in Switzerland that does not require a permit and does not involve gainful employment (e.g. a tourist visit), unless they qualify as a case of special necessity or have rights of free movement for specific reasons. I’m really not sure what this means. I strongly recommend that you contact the Swiss Embassy in London personally for clarification. The contact details are available on the website: http://www.eda.admin.ch/london

Regards,

Anna

Ilikemountai
    Participant
    2 posts
    15 December 2020 at 20:18:05 #934540

Thanks, Anna! Much appreciated.

• The thread ‘Will I be allowed in – UK resident, US passport’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.