Winter hiking/walk trails in Jungfrau and Zermatt

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 February 2015 at 13:51:13 #806903

I will be in Switzerland for 5 days from 3 to 7 April. Asking this question based on Winter hiking/walking, I got to know its April and most of the top travel would be closed and the tourist officer could help locally.
    I have gone through your website and few others for hiking/walking trails in winter. Would like to know what are the trails I should look for. I am planning to stay in Jungfrau and Zermatt regions two days each.

1. For 3/4 hours walks or little hiking with beautiful view of the mountains which trails I should choose in Jungfrau region and Zermatt regions (both). If possible, would prefer to go for higher trails for mountain views.
    2. Is it possible to visit Mt Titlis and Mt Rigi in the same day (starting Lucerene in morning). If possible I would love to do few of the winter sports on Titlis/Rigi.
    3. In Zermatt, which area would you recommend Gornergrat, Matterhorn glacier paradise, Rothorn , Schwarzsee , Sunnegga.

Looking forward to your response.

Thanks!

Alok

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    20 February 2015 at 13:41:04 #841790

Hi Alok,

A safe assumption is that higher trails are still covered in snow in early April. However, some trails will be prepared for Winter hiking, so these would be excellent to enjoy the views you’re looking for. There are many of them around Zermatt, e.g. from Riffelberg to Rotenboden along the Gornergrat railway. More information can be found on http://www.zermatt.ch. For snow free trails, you should basically be looking for trails below 1500 – 2000 m, but this can vary a lot. Sun facing slopes will be much better, for example. The tourist office can indeed provide the latest information about trail conditions.

Our hiking tips on myswissalps.com/hiking all show the elevation of the terrain. Do read this as well: http://www.myswissalps.com/hiking/winter. The Jungfrau region offers more variation in height than Zermatt, so you’ll have more choice there.

You can visit Mount Titlis and Rigi on one day, but you won’t have much time left for activities. See the links and the timetable for details please.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 February 2015 at 11:51:52 #841791

I have few days planned in cities.

For hiking purpose and walks nearby, is it a good idea to stay in Grindelwald for 2 days and Zermatt for 1 day or Zermatt for 2 days and Grindelwald for 1 day. What would you prefer?

Arno
    15484 posts
    25 February 2015 at 8:07:03 #841792

Hi Alok,

Well, both towns are very good placing for hiking. A reason to stay in Zermatt for 2 days could be that its location is quite isolated, so in case of bad weather you don’t have many alternatives. With 2 days your chances of good weather and actually seeing the Matterhorn increase. Again, both towns are fine, you just need the weather to cooperate.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 February 2015 at 16:50:30 #841793

Thank you very much Arno, for your replies. Its indeed very helpful in my planning.

I read your DO’S AND Dont’s for Winter hiking. I will plan some in Jungfrau and mostly in Zermatt. It might not be the right question to ask here (I will try my luck). On my mobile phone

1. Can you suggest some good apps that I should have on my mobile? I will carry the print outs and your Dos and Donts

2. Can you suggest some good and cheap telecom provider for 4-5 days that can give mobile data (internet) and to make calls in case of emergencies?

Thanks very much again

Arno
    15484 posts
    26 February 2015 at 10:48:44 #841794

Hi Alok,

1. Apps are listed here.

2. You can look into the Swisscom prepaid card. I’m sure if there are cheaper options; you can search our website (the search box is in the top) and you should find some forum discussions about SIM cards.

By the way, I noticed you’re from The Netherlands: 90% of MySwissAlps is available in Dutch too.

• The thread ‘Winter hiking/walk trails in Jungfrau and Zermatt’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.