Winter room in the SAC Gspaltenhorn hut

Winter room in the SAC Gspaltenhorn hut

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
macliu
macliu
1 post
Mar 13, 2018 - 4:31 PM

Hello,

We are a family of four from San Francisco, California and we hope to complete a 3 days/2 nights hiking trip from Murren to Öschinensee in June this year. We plan to stay overnight at Gspaltenhorn Hut and Blümlisalphütte.

Our dates are tentatively June 16th through June 18th. Unfortunately, I see from the Gspaltenhorn hut website that they are not taking reservations until June 24th but I believe the hut has a winter room that is always open.

My question is do we need to bring sleeping bags for the winter room or is a travel sheet the only bedding we need to carry. Thank you very much for your help and I look forward to visiting Switzerland!

Mac Liu

Lucas
Lucas
8915 posts
expert &
Mar 14, 2018 - 8:00 AM in reply to macliu

Hi Macliu and welcome to MySwissAlps!

That is often the case with winter rooms, but hard to say if it is needed in June. I would contact them directly (info@gspaltenhornhuette.ch) to see if it is available and what is required.

Arno
Arno
11164 posts
expert &
Mar 14, 2018 - 8:11 AM

Hello Mac Liu,

Just a word of caution here: it is very well possible that the trail you have in mind will still be snow covered and inaccessible in mid June. That's why the hut is still closed (well, unattended). I'm not sure how experienced you are with high altitude hiking, but this isn't a trail to attempt if there's still snow. It's too dangerous, except perhaps for very experienced hikers with the proper gear for wintry conditions.

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018