Winter room in the SAC Gspaltenhorn hut

• macliu
    Participant
    2 posts
    13 March 2018 at 16:31:21 #814750

Hello,

We are a family of four from San Francisco, California and we hope to complete a 3 days/2 nights hiking trip from Murren to Öschinensee in June this year. We plan to stay overnight at Gspaltenhorn Hut and Blümlisalphütte.

Our dates are tentatively June 16th through June 18th. Unfortunately, I see from the Gspaltenhorn hut website that they are not taking reservations until June 24th but I believe the hut has a winter room that is always open.

My question is do we need to bring sleeping bags for the winter room or is a travel sheet the only bedding we need to carry. Thank you very much for your help and I look forward to visiting Switzerland!

Mac Liu

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 March 2018 at 8:00:20 #878719

Hi Macliu and welcome to MySwissAlps!

That is often the case with winter rooms, but hard to say if it is needed in June. I would contact them directly (info@gspaltenhornhuette.ch) to see if it is available and what is required.

Arno
    15484 posts
    14 March 2018 at 8:11:40 #878720

Hello Mac Liu,

Just a word of caution here: it is very well possible that the trail you have in mind will still be snow covered and inaccessible in mid June. That’s why the hut is still closed (well, unattended). I’m not sure how experienced you are with high altitude hiking, but this isn’t a trail to attempt if there’s still snow. It’s too dangerous, except perhaps for very experienced hikers with the proper gear for wintry conditions.

• The thread ‘Winter room in the SAC Gspaltenhorn hut’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.