Winter Tell Pass validity & what to do in Luzern?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Supriyan
Supriyan
15 posts
Nov 14, 2017 - 12:07 AM

Hello....travelling to lucerne on xmas day with 3 kids incl baby.

is winter tell pass a good option ?

we are not very adventurous..just want some sightseeing options.

Is train from zurich airport to lucerne covered in pass?

we are planning to go to mt pilatus so kids can play in snow.How do we use the tell pass to reach pilatus and is the cog whee train to pilatus working on dec 27th?

how is the golden express pass train trip from lucerne to interlaken ?

Do I make reservations on the train ahead or just show up with my pass?

where can i find the time table for it?

ge lucerne lake boat trip worth to do during this cold time with kids ? Does it get super cold at this time on boat ?

we are planning 1 day lucerne exploring,1 day for Mt Pilatus and 1 day for golden pass train to interlaken from lucerne and boat trip around lake!

Is that a good enough itinery or should I add some thing else ?

Is there a chocolate museum in lucerne too and is there a discount with tell pass?

also if we ship yhe pass to us , how muchbis the approximately shipping cost ?

Sorry too many questions,some probably silly but will appreciate the help :)

Lucas
Lucas
9609 posts
expert &
Nov 14, 2017 - 9:41 AM in reply to Supriyan

Hi Supriyan,

The Tell-Pass Winter is a good option if you are staying in the Lucerne area (it only covers a portion of the trip from Zurich airport - check out the PDF Map on our Tell pass page here).

The Tell Pass covers the trip to Mt. Pilatus yes. The cable car from Kriens is the only option in the winter as the cogwheel closes until spring.
You don't need reservations for the trip from Luzern to Interlaken. Hop on any train and show the pass to an employee when asked.

Use the timetable here to plan your trip.

Yes, it could be quite cold out on the water for sure. There are dinner cruises and areas to sit inside the boat if you choose to go out on Lake Lucerne.

Definitely take a look at the Swiss Transport Museum! There is a Swiss world of Chocolate exhibit inside as well and the Tell Pass gets you 20% off the ticket price.

The Tell Pass would be mailed to you yes. Have a look at these online retailers to see prices and shipping costs to you.

I hope that helps answer all your questions? Let us know!

Supriyan
Supriyan
15 posts
Dec 3, 2017 - 3:47 AM

Hey lucas

thanks for the details:)

i also wanted to ask if it’s possible to get a taxi all the way to cable car station from Kreins from train station there

we will have a stroller and 2 kids who dont like to walk and idea of uphill walk does not seem too easy !

Lucas
Lucas
9609 posts
expert &
Dec 3, 2017 - 9:31 AM in reply to Supriyan

I haven't been to Kriens myself but I imagine taxis are there to take you to the cable car - it is about 500 meters between the train station and the cable car.

There is also a bus that will take you directly to the cable car from Luzern bahnhof. The timetable on my last post will give you the details.

rockoyster
rockoyster
4019 posts
expert
Dec 3, 2017 - 10:10 AM in reply to Lucas

The timetable shows Kriens PB, the Gondola Station, an 11 min walk from Kriens Zentrum Pilatus bus stop ( 600 metres - see attached). I can’t imagine a cab from Lucerne downtown to the cable car station would cost the earth.

Last modified on Dec 3, 2017 - 10:18 AM by rockoyster
Please login to see the attached documents
Lucas
Lucas
9609 posts
expert &
Dec 3, 2017 - 10:36 AM in reply to rockoyster

Sorry Rockoyster! 600 meters. ;)

Supriyan
Supriyan
15 posts
Dec 3, 2017 - 4:07 PM

Thanks for the replies:)

also we are planning to do golden express from lucerne for one day

what is the most scenic route on it from lucerne where we can reach in about 1-2 hours ..get off in a town , wander around for an hour or two ,grab some lunch and come back to lucerne ?

rockoyster
rockoyster
4019 posts
expert
Dec 3, 2017 - 7:34 PM in reply to Lucas

Hi Lucas,

LOL, I wasn’t quibbling about the precise number of metres but about your “There is also a bus that will take you directly to the cable car from Luzern bahnhof”. That’s just incorrect. You still have an 11 minute walk from the nearest bus stop to the cable car station according to the timetable. Unless you know of another bus than the #1.

Also there is no train station at Kriens. Just saying . . .

Supriyan
Supriyan
15 posts
Dec 3, 2017 - 7:38 PM

Oh

so we take #1 bus from lucerne to kriens and then walk

where do we get the bus from ?

rockoyster
rockoyster
4019 posts
expert
Dec 3, 2017 - 7:48 PM in reply to Supriyan

Correct. The #1 bus departs Lucerne main railway station for Kriens. See red pin on attached map for location of Lucerne bus stop. The walk from the Kriens Zentrum Pilatus bus stop is very well sign-posted.

Last modified on Dec 3, 2017 - 8:52 PM by rockoyster
Please login to see the attached documents
Lucas
Lucas
9609 posts
expert &
Dec 4, 2017 - 9:09 AM in reply to rockoyster

Yes, good point. There is always a bus involved and a bit of a walk!

Supriyan
Supriyan
15 posts
Dec 5, 2017 - 3:01 AM

Great 👍🏼

thanks!

where can I buy winter tell pass at zurich airport or lucerne train station?

Chantal
Chantal
944 posts
top member
Dec 5, 2017 - 8:13 AM

Hi Supriyan,

You can buy the pass at both places, however, if you're using the pass for your trip from Zurich airport to Lucerne, Lucerne wouldn't be an option.

You could also purchase them online. We've listed some retailers here.

Supriyan
Supriyan
15 posts
Dec 5, 2017 - 12:08 PM

Thanks!

so where do I go to buy the pass at the airport?

I will not be using it that day though!

can we change the dates for the pass coz of weather or does it have to be used on exact dates as specified whem buying?

Chantal
Chantal
944 posts
top member
Dec 5, 2017 - 1:14 PM in reply to Supriyan

The SBB travel centre is located in the Check-in 3 area. The train is very well signposted. Just follow the signs and you'll get there. The ticket counters are open from 07:00 a.m. to 07:00 p.m.

When you buy your pass, you'll have to give them your start date. From that date your pass is valid for the number of consecutive days you've chosen. You can't change the days. If you don't travel on such a day, it still counts as a travel day. More information about how the pass works can be found here.

Last modified on Dec 5, 2017 - 1:57 PM by Chantal
Supriyan
Supriyan
15 posts
Dec 5, 2017 - 1:39 PM

Great !

we will be arriving on Christmas day !

I am assuming they will be closed !

I guess we will have to buy them at lucerne station the next day !

should I look for SBB there too ?

Chantal
Chantal
944 posts
top member
Dec 5, 2017 - 1:58 PM

I just checked with them and they're open.

Supriyan
Supriyan
15 posts
Dec 5, 2017 - 4:48 PM

Oh wow !

thank you so much :)

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018