Winter Tell Pass validity & what to do in Luzern?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 November 2017 at 0:07:10 #813669

Hello….travelling to lucerne on xmas day with 3 kids incl baby.

is winter tell pass a good option ?

we are not very adventurous..just want some sightseeing options.

Is train from zurich airport to lucerne covered in pass?

we are planning to go to mt pilatus so kids can play in snow.How do we use the tell pass to reach pilatus and is the cog whee train to pilatus working on dec 27th?

how is the golden express pass train trip from lucerne to interlaken ?

Do I make reservations on the train ahead or just show up with my pass?

where can i find the time table for it?

ge lucerne lake boat trip worth to do during this cold time with kids ? Does it get super cold at this time on boat ?

we are planning 1 day lucerne exploring,1 day for Mt Pilatus and 1 day for golden pass train to interlaken from lucerne and boat trip around lake!

Is that a good enough itinery or should I add some thing else ?

Is there a chocolate museum in lucerne too and is there a discount with tell pass?

also if we ship yhe pass to us , how muchbis the approximately shipping cost ?

Sorry too many questions,some probably silly but will appreciate the help 🙂

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 November 2017 at 9:41:40 #871929

Hi Supriyan,

The Tell-Pass Winter is a good option if you are staying in the Lucerne area (it only covers a portion of the trip from Zurich airport – check out the PDF Map on our Tell pass page here).

The Tell Pass covers the trip to Mt. Pilatus yes. The cable car from Kriens is the only option in the winter as the cogwheel closes until spring.
    You don’t need reservations for the trip from Luzern to Interlaken. Hop on any train and show the pass to an employee when asked.

Use the timetable here to plan your trip.

Yes, it could be quite cold out on the water for sure. There are dinner cruises and areas to sit inside the boat if you choose to go out on Lake Lucerne.

Definitely take a look at the Swiss Transport Museum! There is a Swiss world of Chocolate exhibit inside as well and the Tell Pass gets you 20% off the ticket price.

The Tell Pass would be mailed to you yes. Have a look at these online retailers to see prices and shipping costs to you.

I hope that helps answer all your questions? Let us know!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 December 2017 at 3:47:00 #871930

Hey lucas

thanks for the details:)

i also wanted to ask if it’s possible to get a taxi all the way to cable car station from Kreins from train station there

we will have a stroller and 2 kids who dont like to walk and idea of uphill walk does not seem too easy !

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 December 2017 at 9:31:25 #871931

I haven’t been to Kriens myself but I imagine taxis are there to take you to the cable car – it is about 500 meters between the train station and the cable car.

There is also a bus that will take you directly to the cable car from Luzern bahnhof. The timetable on my last post will give you the details.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    3 December 2017 at 10:10:49 #871932

The timetable shows Kriens PB, the Gondola Station, an 11 min walk from Kriens Zentrum Pilatus bus stop ( 600 metres – see attached). I can’t imagine a cab from Lucerne downtown to the cable car station would cost the earth.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 December 2017 at 10:36:03 #871933

Sorry Rockoyster! 600 meters. 😉

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 December 2017 at 16:07:35 #871934

Thanks for the replies:)

also we are planning to do golden express from lucerne for one day

what is the most scenic route on it from lucerne where we can reach in about 1-2 hours ..get off in a town , wander around for an hour or two ,grab some lunch and come back to lucerne ?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    3 December 2017 at 19:34:55 #871935

Hi Lucas,

LOL, I wasn’t quibbling about the precise number of metres but about your “There is also a bus that will take you directly to the cable car from Luzern bahnhof”. That’s just incorrect. You still have an 11 minute walk from the nearest bus stop to the cable car station according to the timetable. Unless you know of another bus than the #1.

Also there is no train station at Kriens. Just saying . . .

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 December 2017 at 19:38:28 #871936

Oh

so we take #1 bus from lucerne to kriens and then walk

where do we get the bus from ?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    3 December 2017 at 19:48:40 #871937

Correct. The #1 bus departs Lucerne main railway station for Kriens. See red pin on attached map for location of Lucerne bus stop. The walk from the Kriens Zentrum Pilatus bus stop is very well sign-posted.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 December 2017 at 9:09:53 #871938

Yes, good point. There is always a bus involved and a bit of a walk!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 December 2017 at 3:01:56 #871939

Great 👍🏼

thanks!

where can I buy winter tell pass at zurich airport or lucerne train station?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 December 2017 at 8:13:18 #871940

Hi Supriyan,

You can buy the pass at both places, however, if you’re using the pass for your trip from Zurich airport to Lucerne, Lucerne wouldn’t be an option.

You could also purchase them online. We’ve listed some retailers here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 December 2017 at 12:08:23 #871941

Thanks!

so where do I go to buy the pass at the airport?

I will not be using it that day though!

can we change the dates for the pass coz of weather or does it have to be used on exact dates as specified whem buying?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 December 2017 at 13:14:59 #871942

The SBB travel centre is located in the Check-in 3 area. The train is very well signposted. Just follow the signs and you’ll get there. The ticket counters are open from 07:00 a.m. to 07:00 p.m.

When you buy your pass, you’ll have to give them your start date. From that date your pass is valid for the number of consecutive days you’ve chosen. You can’t change the days. If you don’t travel on such a day, it still counts as a travel day. More information about how the pass works can be found here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 December 2017 at 13:39:30 #871943

Great !

we will be arriving on Christmas day !

I am assuming they will be closed !

I guess we will have to buy them at lucerne station the next day !

should I look for SBB there too ?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 December 2017 at 13:58:46 #871944

I just checked with them and they’re open.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 December 2017 at 16:48:38 #871945

Oh wow !

thank you so much 🙂

• The thread ‘Winter Tell Pass validity & what to do in Luzern?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.