Swiss winter trip – no interest in snow activities

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 November 2017 at 13:30:03 #813685

Hello all, Me and my wife are planning to visit Switzerland for a few days and was hoping to get some opinions about which places to focus on.

We will reach zurich on jan 1 2018, I was hoping to take a train to lucern from there.

Our plan is leave for paris from geneva (or another city if better) on friday jan 5th.

so that leaves us 3 full days (jan 2,3,4)

It is a relaxing type of trip and we do not wish to ski or do any snow activities.

We also want to do at least partial glacier express trip (At least andermatt to Zermatt) – I expect this to take at least 2 days.

Would we have time to do much in lucern/interlaken/jungfro area – any quick stops we can make on the way given the time remaining on our trip as well as considering the time of the year?

Thanks for your help

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 November 2017 at 16:25:11 #872111

Hi robodtechdoc and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Luzern and Zermatt are good ideas for what you are looking for I think (city stays with perhaps a mountain visit or at least mountain views?). Although I have to say Switzerland is the perfect country to visit in the winter for skiing and snow activities!

In any case, both are popular towns year-round. For ideas on what to do in the areas click on these links: Zermatt activities, Luzern activities.

You can certainly train from Luzern to Andermatt and take the Glacier Express (or a regional train on the same route if the schedules don’t work for you) on to Zermatt. Use the timetable here to plan this and other trips.

As for getting back to Paris, all trains within Switzerland heading to Paris will go through Geneva or Basel – so either will work for you depending on what you prefer.

• The thread ‘Swiss winter trip – no interest in snow activities’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.