Winter walk – Rotenboden to Riffelalp questions

• Uallin
    Participant
    115 posts
    18 October 2017 at 9:54:21 #813524

Hi! Just saw this page and we are thinking of attempting it in end February to see the frozen lake with the Matterhorn in the background: http://www.zermatt.ch/en/Medi a/Planning-hikes-tours/Rotenboden-Riffelberg

Would like to ask if This place is worth a visit? Is there is a walking trail or is it well signposted towards the lake? Would snow be too deep and hamper walking? Would the path along Rifflsleeweg be a good viewing point?Would it be too cold to walk there? We will buy the Round trip ticket, which I believe allows us to get off at any stops. Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 October 2017 at 13:43:12 #871058

Hi Uallin,

It is a winter hiking trail but it is possible that weather conditions when you are there could close the trail.

I haven’t done this hike myself but from reading your link above it sounds like there are great views.
    I can’t tell you if it will be too cold for you to enjoy the hike. But at that altitude I would expect temperatures to be below 0 degrees and possible quite a but colder. Whether the temperature on the day you want to go is too cold is a personal decision (and based on how warm your clothes are). 🙂

The link you provided talks about recommended safety equipment and clothing and many other details that will come in handy if you go.

We also have information on that hike, with details on the route, on our Zermatt activities page here.

Mark
    Participant
    794 posts
    19 October 2017 at 2:21:42 #871059

We stayed at Riffelalp in September and did the hike to the lake and continued on to Gornergrat summit. The hike to the lake has very good views of the Matterhorn and also Zermatt. The trail was well maintained and fairly well marked although there were a few junctions with no clear signs. The trail was fairly narrow and steep in places and I would guess it would be difficult to keep clear in the winter. The concierge at the Riffelalp resort would know for sure if the trail was doable in February. Just past Riffelsee is a gorgeous view of Gornergletscher and Mt Rosa. Well worth the extra 15-20 min walk. Mark

Uallin
    Participant
    115 posts
    19 October 2017 at 2:44:52 #871060

Hi Mark. Thanks for your valuable input. Will check out Gornergletscher. Is it continue on the route after Lake Riffelsee as on the attached map?.

Mark
    Participant
    794 posts
    19 October 2017 at 13:22:18 #871061

Yes, the Gornergletcher lookout is an easy , flat 15 minute walk past Riffelsee. There are several viewpoints but if you take the path to the right at Riffelsee, that viewpoint is less crowded. We continued on around the mountain towards Mt. Rosa then up switchbacks to Gornergrat summit but the switchbacks were quite steep. In stead you can take a short easy trail from the lookout to the nearby train stop and ride up to the summit or back down to Riffelalp or Zermatt Mark

• The thread ‘Winter walk – Rotenboden to Riffelalp questions’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.