World Cup & where to watch in/near Wengen!

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Mara
Mara
11 posts
Feb 15, 2018 - 2:53 PM

Hi everyone! I was thrilled to find out that my trip to Wengen in June coincides with the World Cup, and I look forward to cheering for both Switzerland and Germany. My husband and I are really hoping to get away from our hotel room TV and into the thick of the celebratory vibe... but at the same time, we're guessing that Wengen doesn't have the sports bar scene of the U.S. So my questions are:

• Are we wrong, is there a lively bar scene for the World Cup in Wengen?
  • Is this scene perhaps better if we venture into Interlaken? If so, is it easy to get a late train back to Wengen from there?
  • Would it be terrible to cheer for Germany among the Swiss?
  • Anything else to take into account for World Cup time in the Wengen area?

Thank you very much!!

Mara

Lucas
Lucas
9645 posts
expert &
Feb 15, 2018 - 4:15 PM in reply to Mara

Hi Mara,

I think the Rocks Bar Wengen is just what you are looking for. You shouldn't have to go too far to find a bar or pub showing the World Cup games. Lauterbrunnen has the Horner Hotel and Pub as well. Interlaken should have several options for you as well but is a little farther away of course.

Interlaken is large enough that you might feel more of a sports party vibe there (at least more people).

You can use the Swiss railways timetable to plan all your trips on public transport.

Last modified on Feb 15, 2018 - 8:50 PM by Arno
clarksm67
clarksm67
9 posts
Feb 15, 2018 - 11:02 PM in reply to Mara

The Crystal Bar in Wengen has a lot of TV's and always seemed to have soccer on when I was there.

Sorry I meant to say football not soccer.

rockoyster
rockoyster
4028 posts
expert
Feb 16, 2018 - 12:13 AM in reply to Mara

Hi Mara,

It may be poor form to cheer for Germany if they are playing Switzerland but as they are in different groups the probability is not high. 🍾

Lucas
Lucas
9645 posts
expert &
Feb 16, 2018 - 8:05 AM in reply to rockoyster

Good point Rockoyster! But knowing how many Germans live in Switzerland...she's bound to come across some German fans!

Mara
Mara
11 posts
Feb 20, 2018 - 3:53 PM

Thank you everyone for the help! I'm glad to hear that I won't necessarily have to venture all the way to Interlaken, that Wengen has some great options.

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018