World Cup & where to watch in/near Wengen!

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 February 2018 at 14:53:43 #814369

Hi everyone! I was thrilled to find out that my trip to Wengen in June coincides with the World Cup, and I look forward to cheering for both Switzerland and Germany. My husband and I are really hoping to get away from our hotel room TV and into the thick of the celebratory vibe… but at the same time, we’re guessing that Wengen doesn’t have the sports bar scene of the U.S. So my questions are:

• Are we wrong, is there a lively bar scene for the World Cup in Wengen?
    • Is this scene perhaps better if we venture into Interlaken? If so, is it easy to get a late train back to Wengen from there?
    • Would it be terrible to cheer for Germany among the Swiss?
    • Anything else to take into account for World Cup time in the Wengen area?

Thank you very much!!

Mara

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 February 2018 at 16:15:52 #876341

Hi Mara,

I think the Rocks Bar Wengen is just what you are looking for. You shouldn’t have to go too far to find a bar or pub showing the World Cup games. Lauterbrunnen has the Horner Hotel and Pub as well. Interlaken should have several options for you as well but is a little farther away of course.

Interlaken is large enough that you might feel more of a sports party vibe there (at least more people).

You can use the Swiss railways timetable to plan all your trips on public transport.

clarksm67
    Participant
    16 posts
    15 February 2018 at 23:02:41 #876342

The Crystal Bar in Wengen has a lot of TV’s and always seemed to have soccer on when I was there.

Sorry I meant to say football not soccer.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    16 February 2018 at 0:13:37 #876343

Hi Mara,

It may be poor form to cheer for Germany if they are playing Switzerland but as they are in different groups the probability is not high. 🍾

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 February 2018 at 8:05:35 #876344

Good point Rockoyster! But knowing how many Germans live in Switzerland…she’s bound to come across some German fans!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 February 2018 at 15:53:34 #876345

Thank you everyone for the help! I’m glad to hear that I won’t necessarily have to venture all the way to Interlaken, that Wengen has some great options.

• The thread ‘World Cup & where to watch in/near Wengen!’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.