Would you like a one month Swiss Travel Pass?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Mageo
    Participant
    63 posts
    26 September 2016 at 10:09:54 #854124

Hello Arno,

Because of the long, expensive trip from Australia, we would like to make the most of our holiday in Switzerland, so would really appreciate a 30-day pass.

Mageo

Arno
    15483 posts
    26 September 2016 at 11:08:03 #854125

Ok, I see. Thanks Gladysknight!

Arno
    15483 posts
    26 September 2016 at 11:09:55 #854126

Thanks Mageo. That makes sense indeed.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 September 2016 at 11:23:20 #854127

Hi Arno

We spend a month in Switzerland each summer so the 30 day pass was our pass of choice. As Gladys pointed out regarding 22 day pass the 30 day pass allowed for arrival and departure days that wouldn’t have been included if pass was for 28 days for example. Would really love to see the 30 day pass re-instated.

We are busy planning next year’s trip already! As last year, a week in St. Moritz followed by three weeks in Thun.

Best wishes

Maggie

Arno
    15483 posts
    26 September 2016 at 11:50:05 #854128

Thanks Maggie! And good to hear you’ll be returning to Graubünden as well as the Berner Oberland. Two of my favorite regions as well.

Minnie
    Participant
    35 posts
    30 September 2016 at 22:34:49 #854129

Sorry about the delayed reply, Arno. But, yes – the one month pass is essential for people coming from Australia. The one month pass enables us to enter and exit Switzerland within the duration of the pass. Thanks again for your advocacy.

Arno
    15483 posts
    1 October 2016 at 10:51:24 #854130

Thanks Minnie!

Arno
    15483 posts
    5 October 2016 at 15:26:13 #854131

Hi everyone,

I had a meeting with representatives from Swiss Travel System and Switzerland Tourism today. I had contacted them before so they knew about the discussion here. They have had a good look on this thread and also discussed this with the management. The trend towards shorter holidays and their goal to simplify the offered products has caused the 22-day and 1-month passes to be discontinued, and they are currently not planning to re-introduce them. These products just do not fit into the bigger picture.

The good news is that they took this seriously: you have been heard. It does not result in any changes though. They do continue to work on offering an attractive Swiss Travel Pass and Swiss travel products in general. For example: Schynige Platte and Mount Rigi are already free for Swiss Travel Pass holders, and Mount Pilatus will be fully covered by the Swiss Travel Pass as well as of 2017. Of course we’ll update our website accordingly. The Wilhelm Tell Express will be replaced by the Gotthard Panorama Express, which will be an improvement as far as I am concerned. More on that later.

I will keep this thread open for another week or so, so feel free to add your thoughts. We’ll add some tips for longer holidays on the Swiss Travel Pass page during the next couple of days, so that will hopefully be helpful for those of you spending more than 15 days in Switzerland.

Thanks again for sharing all your insights here!

ruedi
    Participant
    26 posts
    5 October 2016 at 16:22:03 #854132

Hi..really have to sound negative but am very disappointed, this in indeed a great loss…but…look forward to any helpful hints as we would not stay less than 30 days.

Love the Wilhelm Tell express…?what is the Gotthard Panorama express please? thank you

Arno
    15483 posts
    5 October 2016 at 17:10:44 #854133

Hi ruedi,

We’ll update our Wilhelm Tell Express page with the Gotthard Panorama Express details this month. It will be a similar train/boat combination.

ruedi
    Participant
    26 posts
    5 October 2016 at 17:25:27 #854134

Thank you…will be looking forward to it!!

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    5 October 2016 at 20:37:02 #854135

Hi Arno,

Thank you for all your efforts to “revive” Swiss rail passes for three or four weeks. A pity our voice wasn’t strong enough.

But to be honest I can understand STC. Só many visitors of Switserland prefer shorter stays nowadays. It’s just a pity for us diehards.

Thanks again!

Wandermann

Minnie
    Participant
    35 posts
    5 October 2016 at 21:45:26 #854136

Hi Arno,

I join the others in expressing gratitude in all you are doing for us! And, ironically, for Swiss rail tourism!! I am interested in Mageo’s suggestion, which you commented on:

“Thank you for sharing that suggestion. I haven’t heard of it before but it seems to be a viable option. One would need the one year Half-Fare travelcard, which basically is a product for Swiss residents. On top of that, one can buy a 1-month travelcard (not available without the Half-Fare travelcard). The total price is CHF 185 + CHF 410 = CHF 595 (2nd class) or CHF 185 + CHF 670 = CHF 855 (1st class). Details can be found here: http://www.sbb.ch/en/travelcards-and-tickets/railpasses/half-fare-travelcard.html#zusatzdienste. I will try to get some additional information.”

I would certainly like to follow that up, and any suggestions from you to help our planning will be gratefully received!

Kind regards and thanks to all participants in this stream.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    6 October 2016 at 0:47:51 #854137

Hi Arno-

Thanks for your efforts.

I was involved for many years in a specialty products business. When for any reason, we wished to discontinue a product, our staff on the interface with customers explained and listened.

We were part of a company that sold commodity products at very large volumes and USD flows. Pricing in their case was set at the top of the business, because so much dollar volume was involved. Pricng was dictated by internal considerations, with almost no input from customers.

Our response in our customer focused specialty business was, essentially always, “We’ll keep the product, but we have to raise the prices.” Worked well for all concerned. Kept the customers happy, and met our profitability goals. Was quite puzzling to those who sold large volumes, with pricing dictated top down. They were accustomed to dictate to the customers…for better or worse.

The effort for SBB to keep any pass and alter pricing is trivial. Their response is insensitive to the customers. They could simply raise the price until the customers stopped buying.

Nice that they have a monoply…;-(

You are dealing with a bureaucracy who does not understand the concept of listening to the customer.

Did you suggest that they raise the price?

Slowpoke

Arno
    15483 posts
    6 October 2016 at 6:49:07 #854138

Hi Wandermann, Minnie and Slowpoke,

Thanks for your posts. It’s a pleasure to work on issues like this.

@Minnie: we’ll post tips about alternatives on our Swiss Travel Pass page soon (probably in the Details tab).

@Slowpoke: yes, I also suggested to make it more expensive. They won’t do so though, we will have to work with the lesser alternatives. But, at least there are alternatives 🙂

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    6 October 2016 at 7:41:31 #854139

<<“@Slowpoke: yes, I also suggested to make it more expensive. They won’t do so though, we will have to work with the lesser alternatives. But, at least there are alternatives 🙂 “>>

Thanks Arno.

And, since they run one of the best rail systems in the world, if not the truly best, I guess we have to give them credit for knowing how to do it .

Slowpoke

Arno
    15483 posts
    6 October 2016 at 13:38:51 #854140

Our summary of alternatives is now available on myswissalps.com/ swisstravelpass/ details.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 October 2016 at 19:56:13 #854141

Hi Arno

First of all, thank you for trying!

We are also disappointed with their decision not to sell longer time scale passes. Especially as there are never (in our experience) any special offers or promotions for UK customers. Like most big businesses their priority is attracting new customers while not rewarding the long-time loyal customers. That’s the way the world works these days.

For our most recent visit earlier this year we bought 2 15-day passes each to cover our month’s stay which was pretty expensive. We saved a bit of money by ordering them in December before the January price increase and will probably do the same for next year, especially considering the hefty slide in the value of the pound sterling!! But I will look at your suggestions before I act.

I am about to order 8 day passes for this December as we have booked a week to visit Christmas markets!

Thanks again and best wishes to you and Annika,

Maggie

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    6 October 2016 at 23:11:31 #854142

<<“Especially as there are never (in our experience) any special offers or

promotions for UK customers. Like most big businesses their priority is

attracting new customers while not rewarding the long-time loyal

customers. That’s the way the world works these days.”>>

Hi Maggie-

If all the UK travelers, upon whiom the Berner Oberland has depended since the 19th century, went on strike, they might pay attention. However, I think they consider people like you and me to be “sure things”- so why waste funds on us?

;-(

Slowpoke

Arno
    15483 posts
    7 October 2016 at 7:25:45 #854143

Hi Maggie,

The Christmas market visit sounds like a great idea. Will you be staying in Thun again, or travel around on the scenic trains?

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 88 total)
  • The thread ‘Would you like a one month Swiss Travel Pass?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.