Where is yodeling still practised in Switzerland?

• Wallaby_Bob
    Participant
    65 posts
    21 March 2018 at 20:52:24 #814897

Hello All and thanks for your effortless contributions to this fantastic site.

We are only a fortnight from departure to Europe and our Swiss trip is a further week on. I have so far received many travel hints and advice from many people who visit and have incorporated this into my packed itinerary.

Could someone tell me if the age old art of Yodeling is still practised in Switzerland and if so where can we see this being performed.

Looking forward to our trip,

Regards Wallaby Bob

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    22 March 2018 at 2:01:49 #879453

G-day Bob,

See http://www.myswitzerland.com/ en-au/yodeling-it-s-all-in-the-voice.html or pack your Smoky Dawson CD.

Wallaby_Bob
    Participant
    65 posts
    22 March 2018 at 3:55:34 #879454

Gday Rocky,

One of my favourite cassette/CD is one of Smokey Dawson with Trevour Knight called Khancoban. Around 1983 or thereabouts. The music is fairdinkum Snowy Mountain stuff and is the best music package old Smokey ever put out.

I notice also on the site you gave, there is a capacity to actually learn Yodelling. Did you do this whilst in Switzerland? I can see you practicing on top of Mt Wellington during those fresh Tasmanian winter mornings.

Regards Wallaby

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    22 March 2018 at 4:07:26 #879455

I’ve done the odd bit of “yodelling” in years gone by . . . . but we won’t go there. 🍻

Have a great trip cobber.

Wallaby_Bob
    Participant
    65 posts
    22 March 2018 at 4:19:54 #879456

Hope you’re not referring to technicolour yawns there old son.

Wallaby

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 March 2018 at 7:14:47 #879457

You should see some while you are here.

There are buskers who I see from time to time in Zurich in the summer. There was also a group of them at the top of Pilatus last September – not sure if it was a regular scheduled show or not though.

Wallaby_Bob
    Participant
    65 posts
    22 March 2018 at 8:05:57 #879458

Thanks Lucas I guess we will just ask on tour.

Regards Wallabybob

pvonk
    Participant
    383 posts
    22 March 2018 at 18:54:44 #879459

When I was to the top of Mt. Pilatus last Oct. there was a group of four men dressed in native Swiss dress, two playing the alpine horns and the others were yodeling. I guess you never know when you’ll be serenaded.

andrew
    Participant
    147 posts
    23 March 2018 at 15:37:56 #879460

Hi Wallaby Bob,

A few years ago on holiday in Spiez we coincided with a Yodelling Festival. It shouldn’t be difficult to find something during your visit. Yodelling choirs appeared to be almost everywhere round Lake Thun and we went to a free concert. The standard of singing was extremely high. They stood in their group in National costume all with hands in pockets. There was no conductor yet the ensemble was spot on. Try as I might I couldn’t detect any actual leader: no nods or eyebrows on the move. It was great fun, as was the ship which left Spiez jetty only to circle and return because a lady from one of the two performing choirs on board had been in the ‘Damen’ when the rest of her choir left the ship.

Have a look at / listen to http://www.myswitzerland.com/ en-gb/yodeling-it-s-all-in-the-voice.html There are links there to recordings.

Andrew

Debra
    Participant
    156 posts
    23 March 2018 at 20:43:15 #879461

Last year on Swiss national holiday a group came to the campground in lauterbrunnen and sang with some yodeling mixed, in traditional dress. Later that night at the bonfire they repeated the performance; I suspect this goes on pretty much throughout Switzerland on the national holiday. It was quite fun to witness, even if I didn’t understand a word.

Wallaby_Bob
    Participant
    65 posts
    23 March 2018 at 22:52:24 #879462

I hope I am as lucky as you, thanks for your input.

Wallaby

Wallaby_Bob
    Participant
    65 posts
    23 March 2018 at 22:57:35 #879463

Thanks Andrew,

After checking some of the provided links, I have found national competitions and festivals are held much later in the year. Because we are travelling next month these aren’t an option. Checking with local tourist information centers I am sure will provide help with anything local at the time.

Regards Wallaby

Wallaby_Bob
    Participant
    65 posts
    23 March 2018 at 23:01:53 #879464

Debra It sounds like you were very impressed with what you witnessed. I have only ever seen performances on tele and never live, so to stumble upon something that good would be quite outstanding.

I will keep my fingers crossed.

Regards Wallabybob

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    24 March 2018 at 10:50:58 #879465

Hi Wallaby Bob-

<<“After checking some of the provided links, I have found national

competitions and festivals are held much later in the year. Because we

are travelling next month these aren’t an option. Checking with local

tourist information centers I am sure will provide help with anything

local at the time.”>>

I was going to post a note to that effect, but you beat me to it.

The All-Federation Jodlerfest is quite an event, and we used to schedule our trips in June to make sure we could see some of it.

http://www.newlyswissed.com/s wiss-national-jodlerfest/

de.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Eidgen%C3%B6ssisches_J odlerfest

On one of our earliest trips to Switzerland, in 1984, we got off the train in Skt. Gallen and found a bunch of Swiss in traditional costumes , some with alphorns. All a surprise.

We got to at least Sarnen, Frauenfeld, and Fribourg. Also, a cantonal festival at Sempach ( Canton Bern).

A few old photos attached.

During the Summer months in particular, and the harvest festivals in the Fall, there will be local or cantonal regional Jodlefests here and there every week, it seems. The village harvest festivals often have a few local groups singing. Those are fun because you can have a beer and a wurst, and get a feeling of the local community.

So, you’ll just have to return a bit later in the year. 😉

When I was in Ftan last September, I was returning from a walk to Ardez, and heard alphorns at twilight.

As I got close to the village, I looked up on a hill and saw the attached image. Nice touch for the tourists, but they might have just been having fun… Hard to tell.

Slowpoke

Slowpoke

Wallaby_Bob
    Participant
    65 posts
    25 March 2018 at 20:26:18 #879466

Thanks Slowpoke and as usual your comments are full of very interesting content. This will probably be our last trip to Europe, but you never now, a return ticket from Sydney to Zurich during September/October could very well happen.

Regards Wallaby Bob

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    25 March 2018 at 23:30:38 #879467

<<” a return ticket from Sydney to Zurich during September/October could very well happen.

Regards Wallaby Bob a return ticket from Sydney to Zurich during September/October could very well happen. “>>

Why return?

Seriously, I have learned a lot about Switzerland by traveling at every time of the year. Some times were dictated by business, but still taught me a lot.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Where is yodeling still practised in Switzerland?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.