This is my first ever trip to Switzerland. Travelling in from Barcelona, along with my wife. Myswissalps has really helped me out to get started and figure out a basic itinerary. Need guidance/suggestions to make this even crisper. Help much appreciated!
Day 1, 3rd June: Landing in Geneva from Barcelona at 8:15. Geneva Airport > Zermatt (Train) - Night stay at Zermatt.
Q: 1. Is it possible to catch a 9:02 train? or will it be too tight?
2. Considering we can reach Zermatt by 12:51, if I take the 9:02 train, would probably be done with check-in, lunch etc. by around 15:00. How can we spend the rest of the day in Zermatt?
3. Is it worth staying back at Geneva for a while and doing something instead of reaching Zermatt early?
Day 2, 4th June: Zermatt > Gornergrat > Zermatt - Night stay at Zermatt
Plan to take the cogwheel train to Gornergrat. Spend some time up there and hike from Rotenboden to Riffelalp on the way back.
Q: 4. How much time usually would it take us for this entire Gornergrat trip? If we start early in the first cogwheel train (07:00) can we do something else after coming down to Zermatt?
5. What all can we do once we are at Gornergrat? Any suggestions for good restaurants, hiking etc.?
6. Any hiking trail better than Rotenboden-Riffelalp when around Gornergrat?
7. What to do in Zermatt in the evening?
Day 3, 5th June: Zermatt > Klein Matterhorn > Zermatt - Night stay at Zermatt
Plan to take the first cable car from Zermatt to Klein Matterhorn and reach by 09:08. Check out outdoor + indoor views and maybe do some snowboarding/snow tubing + see ice grotto. Hike somewhere.
Q: 8. If we plan to hike in this area, which one would you suggest on our way back - Trockener Steg > Gandegg hut OR Furi > Zermatt?
Day 4, 6th June: Zermatt > Andermatt > Lucerne OR Zermatt > Chur > Lucerne - Night stay at Lucerne
Plan to take the Glacier Express from Zermatt to Andermatt / Chur. And reach Lucerne by evening.
Q: 9. Which option is better - Glacier Express only till Andermatt and catch Gotthard Panorama Express from Goschenen to Lucerne? OR Glacier Express till Chur and catch a train to Lucerne?
10. What should we do in Lucerne if we reach around 17:00?
(Still planning the rest of these following 3 days)
Day 5, 7th June: Lucerne > Interlaken > Zweilütschinen > Lauterbrunnen > Wengen > Jungfraujoch (Return: Jungfraujoch > Grindelwald > Zweilütschinen > Interlaken > Lucerne) - Night stay at Lucerne
Day 6, 8th June: Lucerne > Engelberg > Titlis > Lucerne - Night stay at Lucerne
Day 7, 9th June: Lucerne > Zurich - Flight back Home