Your comments welcomed…

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 April 2011 at 11:24:47 #804238

Hello, My Wife and I are going to Switzerland on an organised trip arriving at Hergiswil the afternoon of Saturday 16th April. (Soon!) We plan to take an early train to visit the Jungfraujoch on Sunday 17th, and have accomodation booked in Lauterbrunnen that night. Then on Monday we will go up the Schilthorn and return to our main hotel in Hergiswil that afternoon/evening. We have Swiss Card (Half Fares) included in our main holiday package so we may be entitled to some discounts. (Alternatively we could go to the Schilthorn on Sunday and Jungfraujoch on Monday)
    I welcome any thoughts or suggestions you may have. Have not been to the area for many years so really looking forward to it. Thanks, Terry

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15481 posts
    7 April 2011 at 13:51:27 #832622

Hi Terry,

This sounds like a good plan to me. I would suggest to go up the Jungfrau via Grindelwald and go down to Lauterbrunnen via Wengen. If the weather allows, I would also suggest to do a short hike: suggestions are listed here. Note that trails over 2,000m (or even lower) could be covered in snow, so pick something closer to the valley.

And you may want to think about alternatives, just in case the weather would be too bad to have any views. You could indeed swap the two trips if that makes sense, or do a boat trip instead. Hopefully it won’t be necessary!

Have fun!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 April 2011 at 16:11:29 #832623

Hello Arno, Thank you for your help and suggestions. Certainly looking forward to it.
    Best wishes
    Terry

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 April 2011 at 11:39:32 #832624

Hi again Arno, Like your idea of going up to the Jungfrau via Grindelwald and go down to Lauterbrunnen via Wengen. Is this permitted on a ‘return ticket’ do you know? Thanks, Terry

Annika
    7116 posts
    8 April 2011 at 11:56:47 #832625

Hello Terry. This wouldn’t really be a return ticket, but more a roundabout tour. You can ask for the right 50% discounted ticket at the Lauterbrunnen railway station, choosing to return from Grindelwald to Lauterbrunnen either via Zweilütschinen (this is shorter and cheaper) or via Kleine Scheidegg and Wengen again. They’ll be able to provide you with one ticket for the entire trip Lauterbrunnen-Wengen-Kleine Scheidegg-Jungfraujoch-Kleine Scheidegg-Grindelwald-Zweilütschinen OR Kleine Scheidegg-Lauterbrunnen.

Have a great stay in Switzerland! You’ll be leaving within one week, right? Let’s hope weather is still as good as it is now!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 April 2011 at 11:59:06 #832626

That was quick! Thanks for all your help. Yes, leaving next Saturday, getting excited now!!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 April 2011 at 19:05:29 #832627

My wife and I had a wonderful 15 day holiday in Lauterbrunnen in Jan of this year and visited most of the area by train.This was our 6th visit to the same area and we are always impressed with the punctuality of the trains and the beauty of the scenery.I’m sure you will have a marvelous time and like us you will wish to return as soon as possible.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 April 2011 at 12:20:38 #832628

Just to say a big THANK YOU to the moderators on this site and to others who also advised us, helping us have a wonderful holiday in Switzerland last week. We saw most of the Bernese Oberland and returned home via Geneva, all mostly by train. Switzerland is truly a beautiful country (if a little expensive for the UK) and that was my 4th visit. There will be a 5th!

Annika
    7116 posts
    26 April 2011 at 13:22:08 #832629

Hi Terry! Thanks for getting back to us. I’m glad that you enjoyed your stay in Switzerland and plan on getting back there. It’s addictive, isn’t it :-)?

• The thread ‘Your comments welcomed…’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.