Zermatt – Trift Bridge – Engelberg

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 December 2017 at 9:28:25 #813815

Would anyone know if we are packing too much in:

Train from England to Zermatt, Zermatt for 5 nights, Wengen for 3 nights and then we were going to do Meiringen for 3 nights ( Trift bridge we fancy ), then to Engelberg for 3 night.

We love Zermatt so that is a must, but would we be disappointed with Titlis if we love Zermatt.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 December 2017 at 17:57:05 #872850

Hi Shaun,

I personally wouldn’t go to Meiringen for 3 nights if it’s just to go to the Trift Bridge. If you start early enough you could do this in a day from Wengen: http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/form-wengen-to-the-trift-bridge.

I don’t know how many activities you have planned per location, so it’s difficult to tell whether you’re packing too much in. Spending 3 nights in Wengen and 3 in Engelberg gives you flexibility in case weather should’t be great to go up into the mountains. From that perspective it looks fine to me.

Every mountain in Switzerland is unique in its own way. In general a visit to Mt. Titlis gets great reviews. Should you go up, you shouldn’t compare. Because it’s not the same.

In case you could’t find the question you posted earlier, here’s a link to the thread: http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/trift-bridge-where-to-stay.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 December 2017 at 19:25:57 #872851

Thanks Chantal

if we skipped staying in Meiringen and did Trift bridge from Wengen (would be going using our swiss pass )would you say 4 nights in Wengen and 4 in Engelberg would be better .

we have stayed in Zermatt and Wengen two years ago but loved it so much we thought it a good idea to go back

Or is there anywhere else you would recommend. We love being in the mountains breathing the air and admiring the stunning scenery

i also looked at a spar town of Leukerbad to stop in from Zermatt to Wengen for a night to relax for a day

any thoughts on that

again all our trave will be by train and post bus

Thanks shaun

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 December 2017 at 9:05:17 #872852

Hi Shaun,

I love the Swiss Thermal Spa Resorts. I haven’t been to Leukerbad yet, but I’m sure it will be nice. I don’t think it’s a bad idea to relax for a day.

Engelberg is far less charming than Wengen. It depends on what you would like to see and to do from Engelberg. If you like walking, it’s a good spot, but I still think you shouldn’t 4 nights. If you like to visit other mountain tops in the area I would recommend to stay in Lucerne. More information on this webpage: Things to do in Lucerne.

Are you still planning to take the Bernina Express? Lucas suggested a few (new?) places to stay at. Have a look at his post here: http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/trift-bridge-where-to-stay

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 December 2017 at 17:21:56 #872853

hi Chantal

ONCE AGAIN THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION.

as a mater of interest what thermal spar resorts have you been to

can’t make up my mind whether to include the Bernini express on this trip or do it on another trip .

think it would have to be lucerne or the Bernini express as if we finished in lucern we would fly back from Zurich but if we did the Bernini express it would be Milan.

have you any thoughts on both

We stayed in Lucerne 5 years ago and liked it .if I remember right we took a boat to rigi and places around Weggis looked nice to stay but can’t quite remember

Arno
    15482 posts
    14 December 2017 at 18:06:56 #872854

Hi Shaun,

Chantal will be back here on Saturday. I don’t know which spas she went to, but I’d consider the nearest to where you will stay so it doesn’t require too much traveling time.

The Bernina Express is pretty far from the areas you’ve mentioned so far. You won’t have to fly out of Milan necessarily. Assuming this is a summer trip, you could stay in Wengen first, then Zermatt, and take the scenic Centovalli railway via Domodossola and Locarno to Lugano. The next day you’d take the Bernina Express bus and then train to Chur. From there it’s a quick train ride to Zurich.

All mentioned areas are wonderful so I’d suggest to combine a few that make sense logistically. And come back for more another time!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 December 2017 at 7:28:28 #872855

Hi Shaun,

I usually go to Les Bains de la Gruyère, Les Bains de Saillon or Les Bains d’Ovronnaz because these are not too far from where I live. One day I will go to the thermal baths in Vals (7132 Therme), because I’m interested in its architecture as well.

• The thread ‘Zermatt – Trift Bridge – Engelberg’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.