Road conditions Como to Zermatt in January?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    4 January 2018 at 18:45:46 #873589

Hi Johnr,

Please feel free to edit your post (within an hour) or reply to me with your full question.

Welcome to MySwissAlps!

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    4 January 2018 at 21:15:49 #873590

Are you on an iPhone/iPad? Tough isn’t it. If you scroll up to the top of the text box you’ll find the text you just typed which disappeared. It is actually easier to compose your post in say Notes then copy/paste it into the forum text box. Or get on a Mac/PC.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 January 2018 at 21:18:07 #873591

I am travelling by car from Como to Zermatt on 8 January and probably staying for 4 nights before driving to Zurich. Any advice on road conditions, chains, snow trains, best route etc would be appreciated

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 January 2018 at 21:19:29 #873592

Thanks for the tip!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 January 2018 at 6:45:44 #873593

Hi Johnr,

The route would be south towards Milan and the up to Domodossola, Brig and then down to Zermatt. You will be driving over the Simplon pass which is currently snow covered but open. If you want to avoid this pass you can take the Brig to Iselle car train – noted here.

For road conditions and mountain pass details click here: https://www.alpen-paesse.ch/en/

A fair amount of the mountain passes are closed now and route detours or car trains will have to be used. If you aren’t set on driving I always recommend taking the train in Switzerland in the winter.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 January 2018 at 8:02:04 #873594

Hi Lucas, I’m committed to the car trip and due in Zurich by Sunday 14th. Is there any website where I can gain info about road conditions on the Simplon pass and the Gotthard pass? Will chains need to be fitted?

Your advice is greatly appreciated

Regards

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 January 2018 at 10:29:17 #873595

Hi John,

The Alpen-Paesse link on my last post gives conditions for all road passes in Switzerland.

The Simplon is open currently (could change) & the Gotthard Pass is closed for the winter – reopening probably in May or June depending on weather conditions.

• The thread ‘Road conditions Como to Zermatt in January?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.