Zermatt altitude – safe for toddlers?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 May 2017 at 0:25:44 #811920

We are planning to travel and stay in Zermatt for 2 nights in the 2nd week of June with our 2 toddler, age 2 year 7 months old and 14 month old. I would like to know if the altitude in Zermatt is safe for toddlers of their age to sleep in? I’ve been trying to check forums, some people mentioned Swiss guidelines on altitude sickness for children, but have not been able to find these guidelines – anyone can direct me to these?

Would also add that we will not be bringing them higher than Zermatt’s altitude, the rest of the extended family will head up to view the Matterhorn etc but we will be hanging out in the village with the children and just chilling.

Thanks a lot!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 May 2017 at 8:59:10 #863650

Hi Alisonfoo,

Generally speaking light altitude sickness can occur over 2000m but infants can react differently. Zermatt is about 1600m and shouldn’t be an issue if you stay in town.

But we would suggest that you consult your family doctor to be on the safe side.

Lucas

• The thread ‘Zermatt altitude – safe for toddlers?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.