What to do in Zermatt and Grindelwald in May?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 March 2018 at 13:33:18 #815046

Hello,

My husband and I are planning to end our honeymoon in Switzerland after spending a little over a week in Italy. We will be staying in Zermatt for two nights (May 13 & 14) and then planned on heading to Grindlewald for three nights (May 15, 16 & 17). I’m in a little bit of a panic because I’m starting to see now that many of the cable cars/gondolas are closed in both Zermatt and Grindlewald. I’ve been to the schedule sites to try and see what is open, but I’m confused as to what is available to do (activity-wise) with the limited travel access.

In Zermatt, my husband and I were hoping to do some snowboarding. Can you help recommend a way of transport to do that for a day?

As for Grindlewald, we were wanting to do a lot of hiking but it looks like the Gondola will not be open for easy access to trails in the surrounding towns. Can you offer any advice for our time in Grindlewald?

Should I look to change our itinerary at all?

Thank you for any advice/recommendations you are able to offer! This is such a great forum.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 March 2018 at 18:03:52 #880359

Hi Alexab and welcome to MySwissAlps!

In mid may Klein Matterhorn is your best bet for skiing areas I believe (it is closed May 2 to 11 for maintenance). Gornergrat is also open.

As for Grindelwald, Männlichen gondola is closed (to/from Wengen and Grindelwald) but Schilthorn and Jungfraujoch are open and hiking should be ok at mid to lower altitudes. You’ll need to check when you are there for trail conditions.

Typically the hiking season doesn’t really start until (or is best starting) in early July. It is always hard to combine a skiing and hiking trip at any time of year though!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 March 2018 at 19:30:42 #880360

Thanks so much for the information, Lucas! I’m thankful that the lift up to Klein Matterhorn will be open for our stay in Zermatt. Do we need to buy those tickets ahead of time, or would they be ok to purchase when we arrive? In terms of snowboarding gear, do we rent that when we get up to Klein Matterhorn or do we need to do that before getting on the lift up?

Same question for Grindelwald, should we purchase the gondola tickets before our stay or when we arrive?

Do you have any suggestions for “must do” activities in either or both locations?

Thank you again!!

Arno
    15484 posts
    31 March 2018 at 8:52:45 #880361

Hi Alexab,

Cable car tickets at all locations can always be purchased on the spot and online (see Lucas’s links), whichever you prefer. Snowboarding gear is usually rented in town, I am not aware of options on the mountain. There are various shops in Zermatt, one is at the Klein Matterhorn cable car station (in the valley, so before you board the gondola). About the same applies to Grindelwald. I think there are 2 or 3 shops in the street (Dorfstrasse) leading to the First gondola.

For activity suggestions, please see the links above for both towns.

• The thread ‘What to do in Zermatt and Grindelwald in May?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.