Zermatt – cut off due to huge snow fall

• Hudspith
    Participant
    71 posts
    9 January 2018 at 13:37:17 #813986

13000 people are stuck in the Swiss resort of Zermatt due to extremely heavy snowfall over the last few days, the main access road is closed as is the rail line. The Swiss authorities are working hard to resolve the situation. I know the weather must be really bad if the trains stop in Switzerland – stay safe everyone in the area.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 January 2018 at 14:16:42 #873944

I just saw it on the news also. How awful for the locals and visitors alike especially with no power. I am hoping to visit Zermatt in a couple of weeks and have been looking forward to it so much.

I second Hudspith, be safe everyone that is of course the prime concern. Lets hope for a let-up in the snow soon.

Caro

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 January 2018 at 2:08:12 #873945

I also saw this on BBC news on Tuesday. Apparently a few tourists were airlifted out by helicopter! Saas-Fee also had huge snowfall. Only couple of days ago was hearing about extreme high temperatures in Australia!

Makes our UK weather pretty boring!

Maggie

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 January 2018 at 2:20:18 #873946

We had 41c here in Melbourne Aus last Saturday. Next day it was 21. Never boring. Hope all is ok in Zermatt. We will be visiting in late April early May this year. Might still be lots of snow around. Stay safe everyone.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 January 2018 at 6:53:13 #873947

It sounds like the power was restored quite quickly and people are enjoying the atmosphere (says tourism Zermatt!).

I’d love to be there now though! The winters have been horrible in the north around Zurich the past couple years. 🙁

Of course the ski trails and hiking trails are closed due to avalanche risk but still seems lovely – if you don’t need to be anywhere of course 😉

They are taking people out by helicopter if the need to leave urgently (3 minute ride to Täsch) before catching the train from there.

AlanPrice
    Participant
    279 posts
    10 January 2018 at 8:30:19 #873948

By contrast, i checked the Webcam at the Hotel Belvedere in Grindelwald today and it looks like they’ve had a lot of rain in the village that has washed away most of the snow. And it’s snowed in the Sahara desert. Strange times

• The thread ‘Zermatt – cut off due to huge snow fall’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.