Zermatt - cut off due to huge snow fall

Zermatt - cut off due to huge snow fall

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Hudspith
Hudspith
25 posts
Jan 9, 2018 - 1:37 PM

13000 people are stuck in the Swiss resort of Zermatt due to extremely heavy snowfall over the last few days, the main access road is closed as is the rail line. The Swiss authorities are working hard to resolve the situation. I know the weather must be really bad if the trains stop in Switzerland - stay safe everyone in the area.

Last modified on Jan 9, 2018 - 3:56 PM by Chantal
caro69
caro69
16 posts
Jan 9, 2018 - 2:16 PM

I just saw it on the news also. How awful for the locals and visitors alike especially with no power. I am hoping to visit Zermatt in a couple of weeks and have been looking forward to it so much.

I second Hudspith, be safe everyone that is of course the prime concern. Lets hope for a let-up in the snow soon.

Caro

maggiehorswell
maggiehorswell
570 posts
top member
Jan 10, 2018 - 2:08 AM

I also saw this on BBC news on Tuesday. Apparently a few tourists were airlifted out by helicopter! Saas-Fee also had huge snowfall. Only couple of days ago was hearing about extreme high temperatures in Australia!

Makes our UK weather pretty boring!

Maggie

strahandg
strahandg
8 posts
Jan 10, 2018 - 2:20 AM in reply to maggiehorswell

We had 41c here in Melbourne Aus last Saturday. Next day it was 21. Never boring. Hope all is ok in Zermatt. We will be visiting in late April early May this year. Might still be lots of snow around. Stay safe everyone.

Lucas
Lucas
7081 posts
expert &
Jan 10, 2018 - 6:53 AM in reply to Hudspith

It sounds like the power was restored quite quickly and people are enjoying the atmosphere (says tourism Zermatt!).

I'd love to be there now though! The winters have been horrible in the north around Zurich the past couple years. :(

Of course the ski trails and hiking trails are closed due to avalanche risk but still seems lovely - if you don't need to be anywhere of course ;)

They are taking people out by helicopter if the need to leave urgently (3 minute ride to Täsch) before catching the train from there.

Last modified on Jan 10, 2018 - 6:53 AM by Lucas
AlanPrice
AlanPrice
193 posts
Jan 10, 2018 - 8:30 AM

By contrast, i checked the Webcam at the Hotel Belvedere in Grindelwald today and it looks like they've had a lot of rain in the village that has washed away most of the snow. And it's snowed in the Sahara desert. Strange times

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018