Zermatt – Gornergrat & Klein Matterhorn 1 day

• Ari
    Participant
    29 posts
    14 June 2018 at 2:44:31 #816635

In my 12 dY Swiss tour I m staying at Zermatt for 2 nights, on day 1 we are reaching from Interlaken late because I m planning to visit Bern on the way, on the next day planning to do Matterhorn Glacier paradise trip, I also want to go to Gornergrat . is it possible to do it in a day (both Matterhorn and gornergrat), is there any direct route between Matterhorn to gornergrat without going back to Zermatt, I have to complete both on the same day as on the next day I have to board Glacier Express from Zermatt

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 June 2018 at 4:37:55 #888251

Hi, Ari

Yes, can do both places, Gornergrat and Glacier Paradise/Klein Matterhorn, on the same day.

You cannot reach Matterhorn. You can view the Matterhorn from distance if weather cooperates. The cogwheel train ride from Zermatt to Gornergrat is a wonderful experience.

Enjoy your trip!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 June 2018 at 6:03:15 #888252

Hi Ari,

You can do both mountains together without returning to Zermatt yes. Have a look at the Peak2Peak option: https://www.matterhorn paradise.ch/en/summer/ tickets-tariffs-summer/peak2peak

Ari
    Participant
    29 posts
    14 June 2018 at 6:21:44 #888253

Is it operative on 23- JUNE-2018

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 June 2018 at 6:30:22 #888254

Ah no doesn’t appear to be.

You can still do both mountains in 1 day if you like though.

jatinsmehta
    Participant
    114 posts
    14 June 2018 at 7:05:10 #888255

Dear Lucas,

Peak2Peak rates are not mentioned for the month of Sep – Oct, Does that mean it is not operative during those months?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 June 2018 at 13:08:17 #888256

Yes, as far as I’m aware it is only available during the months they list pricing for. Peak summer season and winter ski season only.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 June 2018 at 23:05:12 #888257

It is easy to do both trips in one day.

The Klein Matterhorn takes less than half a day – and there isn’t a huge amount to do at the top station.

Gornergrat railway takes about 35 minutes each way – and what time you spend at the top is up to you.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 June 2018 at 5:47:33 #888258

Hi jatinsmehta,

>> Peak2Peak rates are not mentioned for the month of Sep – Oct, Does that mean it is not operative during those months?

That’s right. The Peak2Peak trip is available from 30 June to 19 August 2018 and again from 24 November 2018 until 23 April 2019.

This route uses a gondola from Furi to Riffelberg to take a shortcut between the Klein Matterhorn/Glacier Paradise cableway and the Gornergrat train, and the gondola only operates between the above dates.

Alpenrose

jatinsmehta
    Participant
    114 posts
    15 June 2018 at 9:09:09 #888259

Thanks a lot guys.

Without Peak2Peak tickets, can I do both the excursions in a day?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 June 2018 at 9:12:55 #888260

Yes, sure.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 June 2018 at 23:12:20 #888261

When the Furi – Riffelberg gondola is not working you have to return to Zermatt. If you want to feel less pressured for time, omit the Klein Matterhorn, as the Gornergrat if a perfectly good single activity for one day in Zermatt. At the top of the Gornergrat you get a good view of the Matterhorn, and also good views of the other high peaks, including Dufourspitze, the highest peak on Swiss soil.

As a bit of background, the modern additions to Zermatt’s cable car network are really there to benefit skiers in the winter. Furi – Riffelberg is really only built to improve the connectivity of the ski lift network in winter. Over the years there has been a gradual reversal of the main season for Zermatt, with the ski season winning out over summer tourism. You can see this in the modern arrangement of the railway stations with automatic gates designed mainly for ease of use with a ski pass, and the fact that there used to be a cable car above Gornergrat to Stockhorn – aimed at summer tourists- but that was dismantled a few years ago and money diverted to other ski-related installations.

• The thread ‘Zermatt – Gornergrat & Klein Matterhorn 1 day’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.