About us | Contact | n%2Fa | n%2Fa
Home Get in touch Forum Zermatt winter hikes with Matterhorn reflection
MySwissAlps features commercial and non-commercial links.

Zermatt winter hikes with Matterhorn reflection

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
sreraku
sreraku
68 posts
Aug 31, 2021 - 8:26 PM

Hi

I was reading all the nice places around Zermatt in the forum. Wanted to check during initial days of January, is it advisable to do a hike like 5 lake one or an easy one?

Also, I love landscape photography and can lug my camera gear around but want to get that nice shot with reflection of matterhorn in a lake.

Appreciate any inputs.

Thanks

Ildiko
Ildiko
1263 posts
top member &
Sep 1, 2021 - 7:20 AM in reply to sreraku

Hi Sreraku,

as far as I remember from the 5 lake route you cannot have a really good reflection of Matterhorn. The reflection, the most often you can see on photos is made at Riffelsee that you can find on the route from Rotenboden to Riffelalp: www.myswissalps.com/hiking/rotenboden-riffelalp/route. But in January it will be frozen for sure, meaning there won't be a great reflection at all.

At www.zermatt.ch/en/winter-hiking-snowshoeing/Winter-hiking-trails you'll find further winter hiking routes.

Anyway, you can also try snowshoe trails, which is also great fun. I think a bit more difficult than just walking but you can use to it quite soon. And makes walking in deep snow easier. More info: www.myswissalps.com/activities/snow

I hope this helps,

Ildiko

More about hiking: www.myswissalps.com/hiking

Last modified on Sep 2, 2021 - 8:11 AM by Ildiko
sreraku
sreraku
68 posts
Sep 1, 2021 - 6:56 PM in reply to Ildiko

Thanks IIdiko. Btw, I am very interested in the landscape photography. Which trails do you suggest for hiking? I will also google but will be better to know from the experienced :)

Regards

sreraku

Ildiko
Ildiko
1263 posts
top member &
Sep 2, 2021 - 8:09 AM in reply to sreraku

Hi Sreraku,

I think that the whole area is wonderful regarding nature.

But my fav parts are the ones from Gornergrat* to Riffelalp (also with the funicular) and I remember I loved Schwarzsee area too (during summer and autumn). 5 lake hike is wonderful too but I've been there only in autumn, I have no experience of it during wintertime.

But as I mentioned the whole area is wonderful, you cannot go wrong. :)

Ildiko

*Note, that Gornergrat is already high altitude (3100 m), if you are not used to it, hiking can be difficult there. You can read more about hiking/walking at high altitudes here: www.myswissalps.com/jungfraujoch under preparation and at www.myswissalps.com/hiking/preparation.

Last modified on Sep 2, 2021 - 8:17 AM by Ildiko
sreraku
sreraku
68 posts
Sep 14, 2021 - 5:02 PM

Thanks IIdiko

1960man
1960man
2759 posts
top member
Sep 19, 2021 - 11:36 PM in reply to sreraku

In January all the hikes you are thinking of around Zermatt are under snow - the area becomes a ski resort. Therefore you won't see any lakes. Around Zermatt village itself there may not be snow cover (depends on what the snow levels turn out to be - varies from year to year (not just since 'climate change' started) but the paths are limited in scope. In winter there are some official walking routes which are made by clearing a path through deep snow with a machine.

SWISS TRAVEL MUST KNOWS

All you need to know about traveling by train, bus or car in Switzerland.

More

NEED SOME TIPS ON WHERE TO SLEEP?

Hand picked Swiss hotels and other accommodations are right here.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2021