One day in Zermatt to ski & visit Klein Matterhorn

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2019 at 4:59:02 #821939

Family of 4, including 2 kids below 16. First visit to Switzerland

Reaching Zermatt on 22 June evening and leaving on 24th June morning.Staying in hostel.

Activities planned : Skiing and cable car to Kleine Matterhorn.

Question 1. Tickets : Do we need one or both or something else ?

a. Single Ride Tickets : Total Cost CHF 100 with Swiss Family Pass for 2 adults (50 apiece) and 2 kids are free

b. Ski Pass for one day : Total Cost CHF 204 : 2 adults (68 apiece) and 2 kids (34 apiece)

c. Any other

Question 2. Which Beginner / Intermediate Ski Area available on June 23 ?

a. Snow Park near Kl matterhorn

b. Beginner Area near Trockener Steg

c. Any other

Question 3. Assume

a. we rent skis in Zermatt before boarding cable car .

b. then stay in ski attire throughout the day

c. carry our skis along all the time

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    31 May 2019 at 21:02:33 #913752

Hello Himalayan!

1. a+b. If you have never skied before add c=ski instructor, or, rather, give up the idea.

2. Only a on June 23.

3. a+b+c. b « throughout the day » mesns as long as you want to ski, then go to hostel and change clothes, of course. c : there are no personal servants in Switzerland, really.

As you mention, you must add equipment rental to the budget.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 June 2019 at 3:41:13 #913753

Hello Snowman!

Great to hear from you.

I was reading http://www.matterhornparadise .ch/en/Book/Online-tickets/Summer-ski

1. So the one day ski pass does not include the cable car from Zermatt; as it mentions all lifts in the glacier area ?

2. while.the 3 day ski pass additionally mentions all lifts/trains in Glacier Paradise then would it include the cable car from Zermatt, (nothing specifically mentioned about uphill only)?

There is some info around on forums which suggests, that skiers must use the ski pass, while non skiers must use the regular ticket.

But it seems the one day skier will need the additional two way lift ticket.

Lots of info around on the web, but need practical advice from experienced folks like yourself ..

3. I assume it is summer skiing, is it much fun i.e. good snow and less skiers ?

4. Or hiking / biking may be a better choice, (we have a full day, want to spend the first half outdoors) ?

Thanks

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    1 June 2019 at 8:27:59 #913754

1 and 2. Let me confess that I don’t know anything about passes and tickets. I was at Kl. Matterhorn last year, did not ski.

3. Fun or not, it depends on the weather, temperature and the extent to which you are a good skier or a beginner. If a beginner be aware that your kids will lesrn much faster than you.

4. Yes, a better choice.

APFELS
    Participant
    28 posts
    1 June 2019 at 11:46:38 #913755

Greetings Himalayan!

My son and I skied for 6 days the last week of March. We had a wonderful time, thanks in part to the advice we received from participants and the Moderators of this forum. If you buy a ski ticket, it provides you access to all lifts serving the ski areas. Your ski pass allows you to enter lifts through the turnstiles for the gondolas, trams, etc. As example, if you travel to Klein Matterhorn, and use the Matterhorn Express, your ski ticket will allow you access to all lifts with open ski areas. I have not researched summer skiing, but in the winter/spring skiing, we purchased an international ski pass for 6 days and that allowed unlimited ski trail and ski lift access in the Zermatt and Italian area. We had wonderful weather during our week, and sometimes skied in Italy in the morning and Zermatt in the afternoon. Good luck and enjoy your day in Zermatt.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 June 2019 at 0:23:21 #913756

Summer ski-ing is always on Glaciers, and the Zermatt summer ski-ing is only on the highest runs which can be very windy. It is certainly not as good as skiing in the normal ski season.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 June 2019 at 13:28:45 #913757

Hello Himalayan,

As I understand from the Zermatt homepage you’ve linked above, the 1 and 2 day Summer Ski Pass ONLY includes the lifts in the actual skiing area, which, as said by 1960man in summer ins only on the glacier. The longer passes seem to include the tickets as well.

For input about the Klein Matterhorn and alternative inspiration of what to do in and around Zermatt use:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/ze rmatt/activities
    http://www.myswissalps.com/kl einmatterhorn

Best,
    Steph

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 June 2019 at 14:26:50 #913758

Thanks for your replies, Steph, 1960man, Apfels and Snowman, I now have all the information.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 June 2019 at 19:44:04 #913759

Wonderful!

Enjoy your trip and know we’re here for any further support needed.

Best,
    Steph

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    3 June 2019 at 20:14:22 #913760

You haven’t told us what you have decided, nor if you guys have previous experience in skiing.

Enjoy the experienve anyway!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 June 2019 at 6:52:12 #913761

Hello Snowman,

I have skied a lot and am keen to do so, wife has skied, not so keen, kids have *not* skied and are *very* keen. At that time only Plateau Breithorn and Testa Ski lifts are operational right at the top and some blue slopes are around there.

They (kids) will not be able to ride the lifts, and I don’t want to leave them alone, so don’t plan to buy the ski passes.

I assume

1. they allow parental instructions,

2. the ski passes are necessary only if you use the ski lifts

3.they let us carry the skis, with the regular ticket on the cable car

So we just rent skis for myself and 2 kids, buy the cable car tickets for 4 of us, and spend an hour or so on the flatter areas at the top, with me watching over the kids, then do something else for the rest of the day.

Himalayan

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    4 June 2019 at 6:59:20 #913762

Hi Himalayan,

OK, that sounds great! Enjoy yourselves!

Snowman

• The thread ‘One day in Zermatt to ski & visit Klein Matterhorn’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.