Klein Matterhorn or Gornergrat or peak-to-peak

• Isobel
    Participant
    54 posts
    16 June 2019 at 10:14:53 #822295

Hi everyone, I’ve been reading about the Peak to Peak and seeing as I cannot make up my mind about whether to go up by cable car to Klein Matterhorn, or cog railway to Gornergrat – I thought “Peak to Peak” sounded a really good option. They both sound wonderful. Has anyone got opinion if we only do one – which one? We only have 2 nights in Zermatt, arriving from Montreaux, so probably just have time for stroll around town, and not a lot else first day. I would have liked to do the 5 Lakes hike also, but obviously will have to be the Matterhorn or Gornergrat or Peak to Peak , or the 5 Lakes hike, not all. Should have allowed 3 nights for Zermatt. Of course all weather dependent. We will have been at Wengen for 5 nights already, s o aim to do either the Jungfraujoch or Schilthorn, or both, while at Wengen, so decision could become easier after Wengen. We are a couple 70 and 71, reasonably fit and like easy to some moderate hiking, but to come to Zermatt, and not either go up by cable car to Klein Matterhorn, or the train up to Gornergrat would seem crazy perhaps. Any advice/ideas you can give will be appreciated. With thanks, Isobel

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    16 June 2019 at 10:33:26 #915303

Hi Isobel,

The Peak2Peak is just a travel pass. What do you think it is? Don’t you already have a Swiss Travel Pass?

You can do Gornergrat and Matterhorn Glacier paradise in a day if pushed.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 June 2019 at 23:08:47 #915304

“You can do Gornergrat and Matterhorn Glacier paradise in a day if pushed.”

I would say you can do both even if not pushed!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 June 2019 at 23:13:33 #915305

Gornergrat is the one to do if you want to do some hiking around above Zermatt. You can take the train up and walk your choice of trails and paths in that sector (Klein Matterhorn isn’t suitable for that type of activity as it is too vertiginous at the top)

Gornergrat is also the more relaxing option as the train ride on the GGB railway is a ‘sit back and watch the scenery’ journey.

Isobel
    Participant
    54 posts
    17 June 2019 at 0:18:32 #915306

Hi Rockoyster, I just found the website Peak to Peak somehow, not sure which one, and with Swiss Travel Pass the total cost was around CHF72 or SHF78 for both peaks. Sorry, I am a bit pushed for time right now as leaving in couple of hours for airport, so my details might be a bit hazy and I haven’t got time to check. It involved going up to Matterhorn Glacier Paradise by cable car, coming back down as far as Riffelberg where another cable car takes you across to the Gornergrat cogwheel train line to go up the Gornergrat. Or you can do Gornergrat first, then Matterhorn. So yes is a travel ticket that includes both Peaks as you say, but I thought the cable-car across from Riffelberg was an interesting addition – maybe it’s not, and I am just confused. It seemed an interesting way to do both in one day. I gained the impression somehow that it only operated like that in the peak tourist season – late June onwards, and we might be just slightly too early for it anyway. Thanks for your input. Regards, Isobel

Arno
    15481 posts
    17 June 2019 at 6:11:12 #915307

Hi Isobel,

That’s for sure an interesting option if you want to go to both places in a day. From the top of my mind the short-cut cable car operates in July and August. If you’re too early, you can simply go down to Zermatt, walk to the Gornergrat train, and go up that way. It takes more time but can still be done in a day.

• The thread ‘Klein Matterhorn or Gornergrat or peak-to-peak’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.