Zermatt priorities, strike and love!

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 April 2018 at 12:37:06 #815627

Hello dears! Cheers from Rio de Janeiro!

First of all, congratulations for the kindness, patience and dedication to this website and forums. You are amazing! I’ve been reading a lot in preparation fot my trip to Switzerland!

We will arrive on May 18th and leave via Air Swiss heading to Nice, France, on the 25th late night.

I have a GEX trip from Chur to Zermatt. Since I was not able to book sits earlier, we leave on the 14:26 train. At the time, we get to Zermatt we will have only time to walk trough the village. We have 2 nights there.

Questions:

-> If we are lucky and the weather is amazing on the first hole day in Zermatt, do you recommend me to go to Gornergrat or Matterhorn? (I have the swiss pass)

-> On the last day in Zermatt, we leave to Lausanne by train arround 4 pm. if we are that lucky and get the weather good again, I believe we should have enough time to go up to the other mountain with no rush, correct?

-> I’m familiar with snow in other places in South America and New Zealand, but I was wondering if during this time of the year I can get away in Zermatt and Titls wearing a tick jeans on the bottom half.

-> Is there any chance Swiss Air is impacted any how by the transportation strikes on France? 😨

Many thanks in advance!

Already in love with you guys and Switzerland!💟

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 April 2018 at 16:59:26 #883664

Hi Debora, and welcome to MySwissAlps,

1. You can’t visit the Matterhorn. You can see if from Gornergrat. Have a look at our Zermatt page to find out what else you can do. And yes, when the weather is good, go up.
    2. You will have enough time to do some other activities.
    3. I don’t know what tick jeans are (even not after googling), but a pair of jeans will do. Average temperature during the day is 4 degrees Celsius.
    4. SWISS is not impacted by the current transportation strikes.
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 April 2018 at 19:17:09 #883665

Hey Chantal! Many thanks! 😘 For question 1 and 2, what I meant was which should be the priority with a good weather on the only entire day we will have at Zermatt: to go up to Gornergrat or to the Klein Matterhorn? (Forgot the Klein word😁). The most amazing of the 2? The other one I would go, if weather and time allows, on the following day, when I leave Zermatt in the afternoon.

😣Another typo, a thicker jeans, I meant, a harder pair of jeans.😙

Thank you very much again and sorry for the misunderstood!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 April 2018 at 19:31:28 #883666

Hi Debora, I would do the Gornergrat. Aha, thicker jeans, well that works.

Enjoy your trip.

cam223
    Participant
    97 posts
    1 May 2018 at 15:58:48 #883667

Definitely do the Gornergrat–I’ve done both and liked the train better.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 May 2018 at 13:04:20 #883668
    madduris2000
    Participant
    32 posts
    2 May 2018 at 18:32:09 #883669

You can do a hike from Riffelalp to Zermatt too while coming back from the mountains around Zermatt

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 May 2018 at 23:34:24 #883670

I would do both if the weather stays good.

I frequently champion the Gornergrat on this forum, but the distant view of other mountains from Klein Matterhorn is superb too. In fact on a good day you can see mountains as far away as those not far from Nice!

I know from skiing visits that you can get up to both quite early if necessary so you should be able to make a trip even if you have to leave at 4pm. In both cases it depends where your accomodation is. If you can tell me the name I can advise the quickest routes up to the montains

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 May 2018 at 0:41:12 #883671

👏🏃❄

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 May 2018 at 0:52:33 #883672

Many thanks!

That’s my goal, to go up to both!

Hope the weather stays great for that, but with plenty of snow up there!

We will be close to the Matterhorn group restaurant.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 May 2018 at 23:52:22 #883673

There was snow at gornergrat on May 18 2017 (it was snowing…)

Your stated location doesn’t help as the ‘Matterhorn Group’ a conglomerate group of establishments all over Zermatt.

Zermatt is divided into several districts – do you know if you are at the north or south end?

If your accomodation is further out of the centre it might not be a quick journey to the MGB station on your departure day

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 May 2018 at 3:48:56 #883674

Hi! We will be close to the Ibex Fountain!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 May 2018 at 0:44:48 #883675

Aha – that I do know! That’s the fabulous part of old Zermatt. I stayed a few times in an apartment block in Hinterdorfstrasse, on one occasion the hotel opposite was being demolished to be replaced by what is now the Hotel MatterhornLodge. Hinterdorfstrasse is a cobbled lane with original animal barns still in use (right next to appartments with all mod cons!)

So you will be about 10 minutes walk from the main railway station. A longer 15 – 20 minute walk to the Klein Matterhorn departure point.

Many accomodation providers in Zermatt have their own electric buggy and will transport you and/or your luggage to and from the station. otherwise there is a public electric minibus service.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 May 2018 at 6:51:59 #883676

That’s was what I was counting on! Any other tips (ie restaurants, day spas- why not, whatever swiss interests) are more than welcomed! Many thanks! Counting down!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 May 2018 at 0:59:08 #883677

Hi Chantal!

I would like some help with an issue I just had when buying the swiss travel pass at the sbb web site. At the end of the transaction, the sbb site said that was no conexion with the credit card payment system, that I should try later but at the same time we got an sms by the credit card saying the purchuse was completed and the charge had been done.

Would you please help me with this, since I sbb did not get back to me yet?

Many thanks in advance.

Arno
    15471 posts
    7 May 2018 at 5:13:43 #883678

Hi Debora,

If you want to buy from SBB you better not use their domestic website. Just use that site to search for train schedules, and buy your passes from their tourist webshop at https://www.swissrailw ays.com/en/ or any of the other retailers listed at http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/price. The domestic site is more complicated and payment issues with foreign credit cards are common. Your transaction probably failed but you’d best contact your credit card company to make sure. If it didn’t fail you should receive the passes through e-mail within hours.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 May 2018 at 0:21:06 #883679

Restaurant Walliserkanne in the main street is very ‘Swiss’ and not too pretentious

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 May 2018 at 13:39:18 #883680

Thank you very much!

How about Chez Vrony?! Is really worthed?! At this time of the year do I need a reservation? As per what I was reading it is a little complicated to get there. Do you agree it is?

Is there any other bar or restaurant where I could enjoy the same view (attached)?

Many thanks!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 May 2018 at 13:44:38 #883681

Attachment!

cam223
    Participant
    97 posts
    15 May 2018 at 14:19:46 #883682

In November we enjoyed Old Zermatt for fondue and racalette. Wonderful dinners at the Omnia, Post Stubli and Puro Cervo. We also grabbed a quick lunch at the Brown Cow in the Post Hotel. There are so many good choices. Although we were disappointed that several places weren’t open yet, there were lots of good alternatives even though we had a vegetarian and a pescatarian in our group. Enjoy! the food and wine were excellent.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 May 2018 at 0:21:40 #883683

>> How about Chez Vrony

According to the following site, it will be closed from 23 April until 15 June 2018. As you will be there in May, it will be closed during your visit unfortunately:

http://www.zermatt.ch/en/Medi a/Restaurants-bars-clubs/mountain-restaurant-Zermatt-Chez-Vrony

Alpenrose

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • The thread ‘Zermatt priorities, strike and love!’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.