Zermatt to Celerina on Regional trains

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 May 2014 at 8:02:33 #806337

Hi

I was planning to take the Glacier Express from zermatt to Celerina on 18 Jun, 2nd class. However when I went to the reservations website, it seems that only the 1st class option came up for online reservations. Furthermore, there is only 1 train available – the 904. Could it be that the 2nd class is all full on all available GEX?

If so, I may need to travel by regional trains along the same scenic route instead. I tried the SBB website and input From Zermatt to Celerina via Disentis-Muster but all the options thrown up involved the GEX. However, strangely, if I input From Zermatt to St. Moritz via Disentis-Muster, then there is an option for regional train at 10.39am and it seems that the 2nd-last station before St. Moritz is Celerina! If there is a stop at Celerina before St. Moritz, why can’t I find this regional train route when I did my 1st search using Celerina as the destination.

Also, if I want to buy ticket from Zermatt to Celerina on regional trains along the GEX scenic route, how do I describe the route to the ticket counter staff/ Just say I want to go via Disentis?

Would really appreciate any advice i can get on this.

Thanks

Jeanne

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 May 2014 at 10:05:20 #839848

Hi

After I looked at the later trains, I found the same one at 1039am from Zermatt to Celerina, so no more problem for getting the regional train. However the route which I put as via Disentis, seems slightly different from the GEX at the last part since the regional train goes through Reichenau Tamins.

Does this mean the regional train does not take the exact same route as GEX? It also does not seem to pass by Chur…is my understanding correct? Or I have misunderstood the SBB website?

Now quite confused and wonder if I am missing out some sights by using the regional trains…

Appreciate any help on this!

Thanks

Arno
    15483 posts
    1 May 2014 at 13:35:02 #839849

Hi geniewho,

Regional trains take the same route as the Glacier Express. The only difference is that the Glacier Express will pass Reichenau to continue to Chur, about 10 minutes further on. Then it goes back to Reichenau to continue its way to Celerina and St. Moritz. With local trains, you can just get off in Reichenau and take a train to St. Moritz without the detour to Chur. That short section isn’t worth it anyway: it’s mostly industry and buildings you would see there. A detailed map and route description can be found on the Glacier Express page.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 May 2014 at 6:39:18 #839850

Hi Arno

Thanks for the response!

Another question – I found that on 18 Jun, I can only find regional trains at 6plus am or 10 plus am…between 7 to 10, there seems to be no regional trains travelling; only the GEX. Is that the case? I noticed that in the earlier part of Jun, there is still a 9.39am regional train but sometime from 14 or 15 Jun onwards, there is only the 10.39 regional train….

I was hoping to get on a regional train around 8 plus to 9 plus but could not find any.

Appreciate your help.

Thanks

Arno
    15483 posts
    2 May 2014 at 11:18:27 #839851

Hi geniewho,

The 9:39 AM train is running daily. What you have to realize is that the timetable displays the quickest connection for the requested trip, because that’s what most travelers want. From June 14 onwards, there’s an extra Glacier Express departing 9:52 AM from Zermatt. On June 18, that train is the quickest way to travel, so the timetable omits the 9:39 AM train. To verify if all local trains are running, you’d better enter each leg of the trip into the timetable seperately (Zermatt to Brig, Brig to Andermatt, etc.)

I am not sure why you can only book 904 train, because the other trains are not sold out. Just follow the reservation link on our Glacier Express page and you will find seats.

I hope this explains things. Enjoy the ride!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 May 2014 at 9:15:27 #839852

Hi Arno

Thanks for explaining about the 9.39 train. Now I understand how the timetable works.

I went to the reservation link on your Glacier Express page – is that the http://www.raileurope.com.sg website? I was directed to the website where I had to indicate my pass (Swiss Flexi pass) and the From/To/Date details. When In put From Zermatt to St. Moritz on 18 Jun, it said that the “Destination City is unknown”…as the system does not have any option for St. Moritz. However if I input Zermatt to Chur, it gives me the GEX (trains 900, 902, 904) but does it mean I can only go till Chur since my reservation is only till there?

I also went to the http://www.glacierexpress.ch website and input the same details for reservation. I got this response:”On 6/18/2014 are unfortunately no longer enough free seats available. Alternatively, we can offer you still sufficient free seats on the trains listed on 6/19/2014.”

Have I done anything wrong in doing the reservations online? 🙁

Greatly appreciate your hep .

Thanks

Arno
    15483 posts
    3 May 2014 at 9:42:12 #839853

Hi geniewho,

If you live in Singapore then you will indeed end up on this page of your local Rail Europe site. If you need a rail pass for Switzerland you can get them there as well. As for the seats: you need to enter St Moritz without the dot. It’s weird but they indeed do not recognize the official town name with the dot.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 May 2014 at 1:27:42 #839854

Thanks very much, Arno!

Arno
    15483 posts
    8 May 2014 at 9:18:23 #839855

You’re most welcome! If possible, it would be great if you could post a trip report about your Glacier Express adventure once you’re back.

Have fun!

• The thread ‘Zermatt to Celerina on Regional trains’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.