Zermatt to Como with Swiss Travel Pass

• 3leggeddog
    Participant
    4 posts
    25 September 2022 at 5:05:48 #828427

Hello All,

My husband and I are heading to Como after a few days in Zermatt. We purchased the 4-day Swiss Travel Pass as it’s currently on promo. However, I’m wondering if we would be able to use it on our last day in Zermatt to travel to Como. Based on the map, it appears feasible, but I’m unsure if this is the best route given we will already have our pass, or if we should purchase separate tickets. Has anyone done this? What was your experience?

Appreciate any info or guidance. Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 September 2022 at 6:52:43 #947342

Your STP is valid as far as Domodossola where the Swiss rail network ends.You need a ticket from there. If you want to use a Eurocity train, you must have a ticket from Domodossola to Como including a seat reservation. Latter is not required if you take a regional train.

Arno
    15471 posts
    25 September 2022 at 10:42:01 #947343

Hi 3leggeddog, welcome to MySwissAlps!

That’s right, the Swiss Travel Pass covers your trip as far as Domodossola. You can download the validity map here: https://www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass/validity.

As Trainliner explained, you’ll need an additional ticket from Domodossola to Como. Information about this can be found at https://www.myswissalps.com/traintickets/italy and https://www.myswissalps.com/traintickets/italy/price.

The timetable shows whether or not you need a reservation for your specific connection. The symbols are explained “Seat reservations” at https://www.myswissalps.com/timetable.

3leggeddog
    Participant
    4 posts
    25 September 2022 at 18:46:40 #947344

Thank you both for your response. This is helpful. In looking at the schedule, my worry is the 4 minute transfer at Visp? Should I be concerned that I need to quickly change platforms? I suspect the train schedule would not be this way if it were a major issue.

Just to confirm, I cannot use my STP to go all the way to Chiasso and transfer there? I’m not sure if I’m reading the validity map wrong.

Time is of the essence, so we would like to use as many high speed trains as possible.

Thank you!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 September 2022 at 20:24:36 #947345

I am surprised no-one has mentioned yet anything other than going to Domodossola and buying an Italian ticket.

If you are asking what I think you are asking then, yes, you can get nearly all the way to Como (ie Chiasso) via Switzerland or on lines valid with the STP.

If you have sufficient time, there are at least three ways to do it

1 Zermatt – Visp – Bern – Luzern – Gotthard – Chiasso

2 Zermatt – Visp – Domodossola – Centovalli – Locarno – Bellinzona – Lugano – Chiasso

3. Zermatt – Brig – Andermatt – Goeschenen – Gotthard – Bellinzona – Chiasso

4. Zermatt – Visp – Zurich – Chiasso

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 September 2022 at 20:52:58 #947346

Simply takes ages… hours on trains, time which tourists usually don’t have…

There are direct trains from Locarno to Como.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 September 2022 at 23:02:51 #947347

Fastest connection completely via STP valid area is only 1.5 hours longer than the fastest journey via Domodossola and northern Italy. Someone wanting to keep within the STP free area is very likely to consider that the extra time traveling is worth to stay on a completely ‘free’ route.

Arno
    15471 posts
    26 September 2022 at 7:25:30 #947348

Hi again!

No worries about the change in Visp. 4 minutes are enough. The Swiss timetable is very efficient, and short (but doable) transfer times are part of that: https://www.myswissalps.com/timetable.

You are interpeting the Swiss Travel Pass validity map (https://www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass/validity) correctly. Traveling up to Chiasso is for free with the pass, and you’d have a shorter segment not-covered for which you’d need an additional ticket. But as mentioned above, the journey takes longer. You’ll find all options, both via Domodossola as well as via Chiasso, in the timetable.

If you travel via Chiasso, note that you don’t have to change trains there. The validity areas of passes or tickets don’t determine that. You can just stay seated. Show your Swiss Travel Pass if asked for up to Chiasso, and your additional ticket between Chiasso and Como. The same goes for traveling via Domodossola: no need to change there. Maybe the section “Traveling beyond the area covered by the pass” at http://www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass/howtouse is helpful.

3leggeddog
    Participant
    4 posts
    26 September 2022 at 22:22:37 #947349

Thank you all for this helpful information.

Our goal is to get to Como quickly and utilize our STP as much as possible. Based on the timetable, looks like there Is a morning train which is:

Zermatt – Visp – Brig – Milano – Como

With this itinerary the Brig to Milano leg is via Euro City. If I’m understanding this correctly, I will use STP for Zermatt – Visp – Brig, during my transfer, I will pre purchase a Euro City train ticket for Brig – Milano and so forth.

I appreciate everyone’s help and feedback! We’re looking forward to our trip!

Anna
    6274 posts
    27 September 2022 at 3:45:40 #947350

Hi 3leggeddog,

That is a viable option. You can find travel and ticket information to Italy here: myswissalps.com/traintickets/italy

regards,

Anna

Arno
    15471 posts
    27 September 2022 at 8:16:47 #947351

Hi 3leggeddog!

You don’t have to buy a ticket Brig-Milano. The Swiss Travel Pass covers part of this stretch, up to Domodossola. So paying for the leg Brig-Domodossola would be a waste of your money. What you need is a ticket Domodossola-Milano-Como. And you’ll usually need a seat reservation for the Italian portion of the EC. You can arrange for your ticket and reservation at the spot on a Swiss rail station, or online in advance. The page Anna linked to provides more details.

Does this help you out?

3leggeddog
    Participant
    4 posts
    27 September 2022 at 22:19:30 #947352

OHHH, I see. This makes more sense. So I would just stay on the train and just buy a separate ticket for the Domodossola-Milano-Como leg. I was confused since we would be hopping on at Brig.

Understood now and I will modify my tickets.

Thanks!!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 September 2022 at 12:27:53 #947353

I must return you to my earlier suggestion.

You route is more expensive than it needs to be, and not very much faster. Going via Milano is going south to come back north again.

You can travel via the Centovalli and get all the way to Chiasso free using the STP

Arno
    15471 posts
    28 September 2022 at 13:06:05 #947354

Good to know it’s all clear now! Enjoy your preparations and let us know if you have further questions, we’re happy to help.

• The thread ‘Zermatt to Como with Swiss Travel Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.