Hiking parts of Zermatt to Gornergrat journey Jun

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 March 2019 at 4:21:52 #820426

Zermatt to Gornergrat is via cog railway. SBB site says one way it is 19 CHF for the half fare card. So 38 CHF one way. But I will have a swiss travel pass so I get 50% discount = 19 CHF. Is that right?

Can I get off at Rotenboden and walk down (passing Rifelsee) to Riffelalp then get back on the train to Gornergrat? Or do I have to get another ticket to do that?

How much does it cost to get the Gifthittli/riffelberg express cable cars down instead of returning to Zermatt via the cog railway?

Finally found a map of the cog railway and chair lifts https://www.gorn ergratbahn.ch/en/winte r/discover/map/

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    17 March 2019 at 5:22:40 #906685

Zermatt to Gornergrat is via cog railway. SBB site says one way it is 19 CHF for the half fare card. So 38 CHF one way. But I will have a swiss travel pass so I get 50% discount = 19 CHF. Is that right?

Correct.

Can I get off at Rotenboden and walk down (passing Rifelsee) to Riffelalp then get back on the train to Gornergrat? Or do I have to get another ticket to do that?

Yes you can break the return journey wherever you like and rejoin the train.

How much does it cost to get the Gifthittli/riffelberg express cable cars down instead of returning to Zermatt via the cog railway?

The summer map (when I think you are travelling) looks a bit different to the winter one. Look here to see which cableways are operating in June.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 March 2019 at 5:29:36 #906686

Great news that I can rejoin the train, thank you.

Ah, thank you for finding the summer timetable. The riffelberg express cable car won’t be open when I am there in mid-late june.

And I miss the Schwarzsee cable cable car by one day.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 March 2019 at 6:30:34 #906687

Hello Paddington,

I believe Rockoyster has already answered all your questions. What a pitty you won’t be able to do the hike you planned.

Here an overview of the hike.
    http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king/rotenboden-riffelalp

Also I would like to provide some very helpful, general links connected to hiking in the Alps:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king/preparation
    http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king/etiquette
    http://www.myswissalps.com/we ather
    http://www.myswissalps.com/we ather/forecast

Have a wonderful time in Switzerland.

Best,
    Steph

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    17 March 2019 at 6:35:32 #906688

Hi Steph

I think Paddington will do the hike he planned and which you kindly linked to. “Rotenboden and walk down (passing Rifelsee) to Riffelalp then get back on the train to Gornergrat”. 😎

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 March 2019 at 6:42:51 #906689

Yes we can do the Rotenboden – Riffelsee walk. Looking at the map again we will probably get back on the train at Riffelberg. We just have to do the trip to and from Gornergrat all on the cog railway in mid june.

It is Schwarzsee that we won’t be able to do.

Thanks for your help and the links.

Mark
    Participant
    794 posts
    17 March 2019 at 13:38:43 #906690

Hi Paddington

If you can do the hike from Riffelsee to Riffelalp you will find it very scenic with good views of the Matterhorn and Zermatt valley. I have attached photos of the hike which we did in the opposite direction. There is about an 1800 foot elevation change and you will be going downhill to Riffelalp.

As you come down towards Riffelsee from Rotenboden there is a very beautiful and surprisingly little used overlook of the Gornergletscher area. I’ve attached a photo of overlook. You veer to the left of Riffelsee and follow a path to the left for about 5-10 minutes. It is well worth the effort as is the hike to Riffelalp. Mark

Mark
    Participant
    794 posts
    17 March 2019 at 14:25:22 #906691

Hi Paddington

I thought you might also like a sample of the views from Riffelalp. In my opinion it has the best overall views of the Matterhorn in the area. There is a nice outside restaurant there as well if you want a drink or food with a spectacular view Mark

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 March 2019 at 20:04:17 #906692

Hi Mark,

Great photos!

It depends on the weather but also on time. We want to go up the Matterhorn Glacier paradise in the afternoon on the same day. Last cablecar down from the Matterhorn Glacier Paradise is 16:45 so we should plan to leave Zermatt by 2pm.

Gornergrat 9am-1pm (4 hrs-including the platform walk up the top) should mean we can add the riffelalp walk as well on the same day. That gives us an hour to get to/find the Matterhorn Station which gives us a little leeway. DH is not into dawn starts even to get a great photo like yours but I might be able to get him to start a bit earlier than 9am.

The next day we were planning the 5 lakes walk which might take longer than the Gornergrat one.

Mark
    Participant
    794 posts
    17 March 2019 at 23:34:42 #906693

Actually I’m not much of a dawn hiker either. The photo was taken from the balcony of our hotel room at the Riffelalp Hotel while still in my pajamas.

We did the 5 lakes walk as well and it is quite pleasant. The lakes are small but picturesque ,however in Tennessee we would call them ponds. There is just above Grunsee an area called Hidden Valley. It is not on any maps I’ve seen but all the locals including the hotel staff are familiar with it. It had the prettiest scenery in that area and is a fairly short extension on the 5 lakes hike along a well traveled path. It is across the glacier from Fluhalp. You might want to ask about it at your hotel concierge. Mark

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 March 2019 at 3:12:33 #906694

Rock oyster

On that summer lift timetable you linked to (I’ve attached it because I don’t know how to link to a PDF) the fine print at the bottom says:

<Matterhorn glacier ride (3S Bahn): Maintenance work 03.-19.06.2019. Cable

car Trockener Steg – Matterhorn glacier paradise in work.>

Does that mean neither the new or old gondolas to Matterhorn will be working for those three weeks?

Thanks, Mark. Will do.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    18 March 2019 at 4:20:22 #906695

I interpret it as just the new 3S-bahn is not operating. You can still get up to Matterhorn Glacier Paradise but note that Furi to Trockener Steg is closed 22.06. – 28.06.19 and you need to go via Schwarzsee during that time. But I think that is after you are gone?

Where it says “Cable car Trockener Steg – Matterhorn glacier paradise in work.” means the old cable car is operating (“in work”).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 March 2019 at 4:41:31 #906696

Great information and photos guys.

Just to make it clear for me, if doing the Gornergrat cog wheel to the top, going back to Rotenboden, seeing the lake at Riffelsee then walk to Riffelberg, can this be done in a day? Will there be enough time to go see the Matterhorn Glacier Ice Palace? Is this in the same area? Thanks.

Mark
    Participant
    794 posts
    18 March 2019 at 10:48:18 #906697

Sorry I’ve not been to the Matterhorn Glacier Paradise so I can’t say for sure but it is a different area than the Gornergrat area. Mark

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 March 2019 at 21:44:14 #906698

Kmabey

The answer is probably. Gornergrat cograil is 33mins each way. Rotenboden to Riffleberg walk is 1 hr. If in summer it will be much quicker to take the Riffleberg express from Riffleberg to Furi Station. Klein Matterhorn cable car is about 45 mins each way.

If in spring (june) start early, add time for waiting for the train at the top and at stops. Allow 20 mins to walk from Gornergrat Bahn to Matterhorn Talstat. Don’t muck around at lunch and watch the last cable car time down from the Klein Matterhorn.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 March 2019 at 20:29:12 #906699

Thanks rock oyster.

I got confused between working on and in work. We should get to go on the new cable car depending on the weather.

Thank goodness for the new chairlift so I have options even if they are working on one.

Yes, we leave on the 22nd.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 March 2019 at 2:55:55 #906700

Personally I would do the Gornergrat side at leisure and not try to squeeze in the Klein Matterhorn as well

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 March 2019 at 4:26:01 #906701

Thanks 1960man.

I think you are right now that I’ve looked into it more and realised the value of the Gornergrat side. We are going to squeeze in the Matterhorn with the 5 lakes walk on a different day, weather permitting.

• The thread ‘Hiking parts of Zermatt to Gornergrat journey Jun’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.