Zermatt to Lauterbrunnen via Kandersteg -timetable

• charwinelove
    Participant
    53 posts
    3 July 2018 at 17:11:52 #817049

Checking train schedule again to travel the more scenic route via Kandersteg, I have a questions about the 15:37 departure from Zermatt to VISP (headed in the direction of VISP) that arrives in VISP at 16:46 and departs VISP, Banhof Sud at 17:08 and then it lists Bus 522 Direction Ausserberg? Can someone tell me with this time option is one of the 5 changes of trains involve a BUS? Date of travel July l5th.

Secondly am I selecting the right direction VISP as I see there is another option of Fiesch?

Appreciate insight.

Have flexiblity on when we would leave Zermatt – what would be the recommended afternoon departure . They are all about 4 hours and 22 plus minutes versus the route “not via Kandersteg” which is 2 hrs. 52 minutes.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    3 July 2018 at 19:24:09 #890079

Hi Charwine,

In the timetable you can fill out Zermatt to Lauterbrunnen via Brig and Kandersteg. That should get you the train only options.

charwinelove
    Participant
    53 posts
    3 July 2018 at 19:44:07 #890080

How do you add “two via’s” in the timetable please?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 July 2018 at 5:38:13 #890081

You’ll want to use the SBB timetable on the right side of the page on Arno’s link. There are blank spaces for 2 ‘via’ stations.

charwinelove
    Participant
    53 posts
    4 July 2018 at 11:37:34 #890082

Secondly am I selecting the right direction VISP as I see there is another option of Fiesch?

When I choose the route Direction VISP it departs(for example) at 15:37…Zermatt/VISP, VISP/Brig, Brig/Spiez,Spiez/Interlaken Ost, Interlaken Ost/Lauterbrunnen arriving 19:55

When I choose the route Direction Fiesh it departs (for example) at 15:13 Zermatt/Brig, Brig/Spiez, Spiez/Interlaken Ost, Interlaken Ost/Lauterbrunnen arrriving 19:55.

So when you get to Brig you wait an hour on the 15:13 departure and the Brig to Spiez and the rest of the trains are the SAME.

Direction VISP has 5 changes of trains, Direction Fiesch has 4 changes of trains but the hour wait in Brig.

What would be your recommendation and are there any other options I am missing.

Thank you.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 July 2018 at 19:04:06 #890083

The direction of the train doesn’t really matter, in so much as that is the end destination of the train.

You’ll want to just choose the train trip that is most convenient for you.

It isn’t a great choice. An extra train change or a longer stopover in Brig….

The Visp to Brig section is about 5 minutes…if you have a lot of luggage etc I would take the trip with fewer connections.

charwinelove
    Participant
    53 posts
    4 July 2018 at 19:25:03 #890084

Once we arrive in Brig taking the 15:13 Zermatt to Brig arrive 16:37, the next train is Brig to Spiez 17:36 to 18:44 so we have an hour layover in Brig…..is there a way to avoid the hour layover?

Do you feel the scenery via Kandersky is worth the time commitment versus going direct from Zermatt to Lauterbrunnen which is 2 hours and 52 minutes….versus Zermatt via Brig and Kandersky which is 4 hours and 42 minutes.

Trains we would have done before then are the Lucern to Bernina Suot via Uznach and the Glacier Express St. Moritz to Zermatt.

Taking the route via Kandersky will the additional two hours show us much greater/different scenery? I know it’s all beautiful…

Value and appreciate your insight…..

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 July 2018 at 23:56:09 #890085

It is not absolutely vital to take the old mountain route if it will not suit your timetable.

The Visp – Spiez base tunnel route is scenic in itself north of the north end of the tunnel. Here is a picture I took of a base tunnel route express train near Frutigen a few days ago

The reason you got a bus to Ausserberg showing up is that there is a bus from Visp to Ausserberg and the computer will have worked out that at certain times of day that would be the quickest way to get from Visp to Kandersteg

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 July 2018 at 5:25:16 #890086

A tough call for sure. I don’t think it is absolutely needed to do this trip. Nice of course but if it gets too annoying and long for you perhaps it isn’t worth the trouble. You’ll definitely get some nice scenery of course on your other trips!

• The thread ‘Zermatt to Lauterbrunnen via Kandersteg -timetable’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.