Zermatt to Locarno reservation needed?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 July 2018 at 19:03:41 #817159

We are planning to go from Zermatt to Locarno via train in September. In some of the information , it seems that the Italian portion of the trip recommends a reservation but I haven’t been able to figure out how to do this.

Is a reservation really necessary and if so – how do we do that in advance?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 July 2018 at 1:55:12 #890761

Hi Ronald, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

>> We are planning to go from Zermatt to Locarno via train in September. In some of the information , it seems that the Italian portion of the trip recommends a reservation but I haven’t been able to figure out how to do this.

Do you mean the Centovalli Express between Domodossola and Locarno?

Reservations are possible on most, but not all, Centovalli departures, and can be made on the Centovalli website at a cost of 4,00 or 5,50 Euro.

Here is the link, and I have included some vocabulary to assist you in completing the transaction. The instructions below assume you are travelling with a Swiss Travel Pass:

prenota.vigezzinacento valli.com/

Change the language to English if necessary, on the top right of the page.

• Travel document – choose Turistico
    • Nome – first name
    • Cognome – surname
    • Progressivo biglietto – in this field, put Swiss Travel Pass
    • The default is a return journey, so change it to single
    • From – Locarno FFS
    • To – Domodossola

The rest should be easy enough to follow.

At the end, what you get is a prenotazione internazionale – international reservation.

If you wanted to, instead of getting a train through the Simplon tunnel between Brig and Domodossola, you could get the Swiss PostBus #631 over the Simplon Pass from Brig to Domodossola instead. The bus drops you very close to the station at Domodossola, from where you can catch the Centovalli Express for the rest of the trip to Locarno.

It is a very scenic trip through the mountains. If you are interested, you can read my trip report about it under the heading Saas-Fee to Locarno on the following page:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/trip-report-late-august-to-mid-october-2016

>> Is a reservation really necessary and if so – how do we do that in advance?

I travelled from Domodossola to Locarno on the Centovalli Express in September 2016 and didn’t reserve. (Actually, reservations were not possible at that time – they are a more recent introduction.) Although the train was well patronised, I found a window seat OK. However, it doesn’t cost much to reserve, and you can ensure that you sit together and get a window seat, so it’s probably worth it. Personal choice in the end 🙂

Alpenrose

Judy52
    Participant
    131 posts
    9 July 2018 at 6:50:39 #890762

Hi Ronald

I reserved two seats on the Centovalli train from Locarno to Domodossola for September. It cost me 8€. I was told that it isn’t really necessary but it feels good to know I have the seats reserved, just in case it turns out to be a crowded train.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 July 2018 at 11:19:17 #890763

Thanks

This is awesome information and will be a great help.

We will check out the post bus option as well.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 July 2018 at 11:36:01 #890764

How long does the post bus take to make the trip if we choose to use it?

The view is probably worth the extra time in any case.

Thanks again your report was also very helpful.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 July 2018 at 15:33:18 #890765

>> How long does the post bus take to make the trip if we choose to use it?

The Swiss Timetable will tell you 🙂

In your timetable search put the following

• From Zermatt
    • To Locarno FART
    • Via Simplon Dorf, Post

Leaving out Via Simplon Dorf, Post will get you the fastest route, which is a train that goes underneath the Simplon Pass in a long tunnel.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 July 2018 at 21:24:34 #890766

Once again

Thanks for your help!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 July 2018 at 23:22:53 #890767

I travelled the Centovalli route in September a few years ago – no reservation needed in truth.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 July 2018 at 23:26:42 #890768

Thanks

• The thread ‘Zermatt to Locarno reservation needed?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.