Zermatt to Milan in 2 days

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 September 2016 at 7:54:23 #810166

First of all, I like to say how I value your website and your forum in making a trip to Switzerland more enjoyable.

I am leaving Zermatt for Milan by train and need to know which would be the best way. I will be staying overnight(1 night) en route.

I am looking at the shortest and very scenic journey. My original plan was to take the train to Zurich and stay there for one night, and then from Zurich to Chur and get a connection to Tirano via Bernina express before continuing on to Milan.

Is there an ordinary Swiss train that goes exactly the same route as the Bernina express to Tirano saving time?

Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    28 September 2016 at 8:53:54 #856249

Thanks for your compliments Sirles!

The shortest route is ZermattBrig – Milan and only takes 3.5 hours. It is not worth it to spend two days on that in my opinion. Brig is a nice town but you need more time there to really explore the area.

If you’re interested in scenic trains then take the Glacier Express to Chur or St. Moritz. Spend the night there, and then take the Bernina Express or any regular train (not much difference time wise) to Tirano. Then a train to Milan from there. I wouldn’t go all the way to Zurich but rather spend that night somewhere in or near the mountains.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 September 2016 at 13:17:28 #856250

Hello Arno

Sorry for delay in replying. Many thanks for your information very helpful.

1. How much will it cost using the Glacier Express to either Chur or St Moritz with a Swiss Pass, and where do I get on the Glacier Express, Zermatt or Brig ?

2. What is the difference using either a normal train or the Bernina Express to Tirano from Chur or St Moritz – do they use the same line?

I am actually leaving Zermatt in the morning on the 9th February but need to get to Milan early evening on the 10th.

Thank you

Arno
    15483 posts
    29 September 2016 at 13:51:44 #856251

Hi sirles,

1. With a Swiss Travel Pass, the ride is free. You only need to reserve a seat, which costs CHF 33 in summer and CHF 13 in winter. Where you get on the train is up to you, but as you stay in Zermatt I would get on there. Note that the Swiss Pass is a product for Swiss citizens. You don’t need that. The Swiss Travel Pass is for tourists. Please see here for where to buy one. You can print it at home.

2. That’s explained on the Bernina Express page I linked to in my previous post.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 September 2016 at 14:44:26 #856252

Thank You Arno

You are very helpful. Keep up the good work you are doing for us tourists travelling in Switzerland.

Kind Regards

Les

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 September 2016 at 15:05:06 #856253

Hello Arno

Sorry to be a pain.

I was checking the glacier express train from Brig to Chur and having look at the route, it goes all the way round north of Switzerland and through Zurich before coming back down to Chur.

Not sure what to do.

thanks

Arno
    15483 posts
    29 September 2016 at 15:29:04 #856254

No problem Les! Please see myswissalps.com/ glacierexpress/ gettingthere. There is a map and a detailed route description. It goes through Andermatt. If you don’t enter that in the timetable it just shows the quickest way to get from Brig to Chur, which may go through Zurich. You’d better board in Zermatt though.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 September 2016 at 23:03:49 #856255

On 8 Sep we caught the Glacier Express from Zermatt to St Moritz leaving 9:52 arriving 18:03. We had a Eurail and paid the extra at the Zermatt station beforehand. We had booked the reservation at the Zurich train station and then I emailed the catering people that we wanted a meal.We had the 3 course lunch and drinks and we paid for this on the train. It was a wonderful experience. The train stops at a few places for 20 minutes or so and I suggest you get out and stretch your legs. Some passengers rushed off to buy ice creams as it was a warm day!

Our hotel had a shuttle service to and from the station (pre-arranged) in St Moritz

Next morning on 9 Sep we caught the 9:48 local train to Tirano. We had the first class carriage to ourselves and it was great. We opened the windows to get better photos. This gave us about 45 min in Tirano before catching the 13:08 train to Milan. We had no reservation to pay as it was not the Bernina Express. There was a map on the table so you knew where you were.

Originally we were to catch the 10:48 train to Tirano which would have given us 8 minutes to change stations and trains. I know people who have missed their connection if the first train is a minute or two late. In Tirano we had time to freshen up and have a very cheap coffee (after Switzerland) and gelato. The Italian train was terrible after the wonderful Swiss trains. We arrived in Milan at 15:40. So my advice is to allow enough time in Tirano.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    1 October 2016 at 7:46:05 #856256

Hi swissanne –

Thanks for the comments about the connection in Tirano.

You do get used to excellent service and the ability to make short connections on the trains in Switzerland. After a while, you begin to think it is “normal.” 😉

So, when you experience a system that does not run with the same degree of precision, it is surely a good idea to allow extra time for connections. I’ve also had occasional problems with connections in Italy.

And. it always pleasant to recalibrate your expectations for the cost of a cup of coffee, once you leave Switzerland. 😉

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Zermatt to Milan in 2 days’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.