Zermatt to Milan by train: buy ticket in advance?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 July 2018 at 17:47:19 #817334

Traveling from Zermatt to Milan by train in August.

I have been told that it is not necessary to buy train tickets ahead of time that we can buy them the same day of travel at the stations . Is this your recommendation as well?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 July 2018 at 19:02:35 #891755

Hi Diane,

That is definitely true when it comes to travel within Switzerland but on international travel you will want to buy tickets in advance. Prices for international trains go up as you get closer to departure. Most international trains also have reservations as mandatory, so technically your train could sell out of seats as well (though you can stand if you wanted to).

You can buy tickets from Milan to Switzerland through one of the online retailers noted here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/traintickets/ita ly

If you are traveling in Switzerland on the Swiss Travel Pass (https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisstravelpass) you only need a ticket from Milan to Domodossola (Swiss-Italian border) but if not you can buy a ticket all the way to Zermatt as well.

Nbunim
    Participant
    19 posts
    18 July 2018 at 20:02:57 #891756

Hi , few years ago I was traveling from Zermatt to Milan in August . Waited till couple days before and end up buying first class on Domodossola -Milan part . I didn’t regret it but everything what you buy in advance as much as possible will be less expensive. And if you organize you can get Super Saver tickets .

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 July 2018 at 21:40:25 #891757

Lucas, thank you for your suggested to buy the tickets ahead of time. In an afford to do that I called the Switzerland tourism office and spoke to two different people who told me to buy them the day of travel at the stations. It make this a frustrating process when it clear need not be! Thanks again

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 July 2018 at 5:28:44 #891758

Strange advice indeed for international trains. It certainly is possible to buy on the spot but you will save money buying in advance.

As I said, don’t worry about buying in advance within Switzerland though.

Happy Travels

Nbunim
    Participant
    19 posts
    19 July 2018 at 10:27:06 #891759

Hi Lukas and Diane . I only wanted to say buying in advance within Switzerland and international will save you a lot of money . Also (international) if someone prefer 2nd class it’s might be sold out if you leave purchasing tickets to couple day before travel . That what happened to me . I’m not sure why it’s strange . But thank you .

I

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 July 2018 at 14:38:15 #891760

Hi Nbunim,

Train tickets within Switzerland don’t sell out. You just stand. 🙂

Purchasing tickets on domestic Swiss trains does not reserve you a seat like on international trains. Reservations are not normal here either – there is almost always a seat for everyone. If there isn’t someone will get up and leave the train shortly (commuters) and you will get a seat. It is a great system that seems to work quite well.

https://www.myswissalp s.com/train/reservatio ns

Nbunim
    Participant
    19 posts
    19 July 2018 at 15:06:19 #891761

Hi Lucas , I’m only talking about Domodossola-Milan part .

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 July 2018 at 15:08:15 #891762

Ah you didn’t say that; but you meant about your first post.

Yes I agree with your point. 🙂

• The thread ‘Zermatt to Milan by train: buy ticket in advance?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.