Zermatt to Wengen, via Kandersteg train

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 July 2018 at 6:23:22 #817441

Hi I had a thread previously where we were looking at travelling to Wengen. We are holders of a 3 country 1st Class Eurail pass . I’m now putting the itinerary together as we leave Australia next week!

My previous thread had closed, so I’m trying to re-create my questions and have the thumbs up that I’ve got all correct.

We wish to travel from Zermatt to Wengen on Tuesday, 28 August, 2018. Was recommended on previous thread we look at train via Kandersteg, to Thun. Join Paddle Steamer DS Blumlisalp to Interlaken West, Train to Interlaken Obst, to Lauterbrunnen to Wengen

Its taken quiet a bit of investigating as the Zermatt to Wengen search kept putting in a bus sector!

So I’ve had to look at the sectors separately. Have I got this journey correct, is this the best way as in Scenic to travel. (had to uncheck the Bus as being part of the search)

Tue 28 August, depart Zermatt 08.37am Platform 3 Regio 226 (Direction Visp)

Arrive Visp 09.46am Platform 3 walk and change to IR90 InterRegio 1711 direction Brig, Visp platform 6 Depart Visp 09.55am .Arrive Brig 10.02 platform 8. walk and change to Regio Express4266 Direction Bern Lotschberger (says BK which I think means get your ticket on the train, but as we have Eurail Pass, I don’t think we need to do this?) Depart Brig platform 7 10.36am ARRIVE THUN 11.58am Platform 2

Walk to Dock to join Paddlesteamer DS Blumlisalp to Interlaken West departing Thun at 12.40pm. (using our Eurail 1st Class … no charge, no reservations required) arrive

When the boat arrives at Interlaken West 14.53 , walk forward from the boat, turn right into the underpass and up the stairs or lift to the platform.( we will have purchased the Interlaken Ost to Wengen section in Zermatt)

Interlaken West depart Platform 1 15:23 IC61 1073 Intercity 61

Interlaken Ost arrive Platform 7 15.28 R173

Interlaken Ost depart Platform2A 15:35 R 373

Lauterbrunnen arrive Platform 2 15:55

Lauterbrunnen depart 16.07

Wengen arrive 16:19

or if by luck the Paddlesteamer arrives earlier .. perhaps we can do:

Interlaken West depart Platform 1 14:53

Interlaken Ost arrive Platform 7 14:57

Interlaken Ost depart Platform2A 15:05

Lauterbrunnen arrive Platform 2 15:25

Lauterbrunnen depart 15:37

Wengen arrive 15:39

(Question .. why would the timetable site put the Bus as the option for Visp to Ausserberg?)

Have I got everything correct? The only ticket I need to purchase at Zermatt is the Interlaken West to Wengen sector?

Thanks so much, I couldn’t believe it was so much harder this time to find the above journey. I don’t recall the “bus” bit throwing me out before? The new timetable after the summer timetable ends on 26th August – will this cause me any problems?

Thank you all in anticipation of your extremely helpful and professional assistance.

AusCol

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    24 July 2018 at 7:29:29 #892283

BK means it is possible to purchase ticket onboard for an additional fee. Of no concern to you anyway with your pass.

The bus Visp to Ausserberg means you join the Regio-Express Lötschberger at Aussberger instead of Brig. It’s a “shortcut”. The timetable is always trying to get you to your destination in the fastest, not necessarily most pleasant manner. 😉

You only need a ticket Interlaken Ost to Wengen.

What “summer” timetable are you referring to? Should be no change in trains between 26 and 28 August. Not sure about Thun boats.

Here’s your lost thread http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/interlaken-ost-to-wengen-is-it-included-in-eurail

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 July 2018 at 7:42:23 #892284

Hi – yes I put in Zermatt to Thun via Kandersteg depart 08.10 and thats what came up for the 8.37 departure . 3 change of trains and Bus 522 52209 from Visp Bahnhof sud platform 9 was the first option.

I had to de-select bus to find the train journey all the way.

So you don’t think we have to reserve seats for the Lotschberg railway section? It was a bit of a curve ball, I hadn’t realised this was a “scenic train”.

I have booked Bernina Express, Glacier Express and MOB trains all ready for our travel. But have just stumbled on this Lotschberg sector and don’t want to miss out on the Paddle Steamer section if they say sorry, no seats.

Have you managed to look at the rest of my “hopeful” itinerary … have I got everything right?

Thanks so much … especially for your amazing prompt reply.

AusCol

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    24 July 2018 at 7:53:26 #892285

Hi AusCol,

You don’t need reservations on the Regio-Express Lötschberger. It’s just a regular train on a scenic route. Although having said that Kandersteg is a very popular hiking destnation.

You can make reservations on any regular train that offers reservations at bit.ly/2HHB2Ev.n't

I haven’t checked all the other timings for your journey. The paddle steamer is unrelated to the Regio-Express Lötschberger and if it’s like any of the paddles steamers on Lake Luzern seat reservation is not an option. People tend to wander around on boats rather than staying put in a seat. They will let you on. You won’t find a sold out sign.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 July 2018 at 8:39:39 #892286

thank you once again, I’ll put the journey into our itinerary as it is. We will be in Zermatt on 26 August. Should I book & pay the Interlaken – Wengen sector either on the 26 or 27 August as train station may be very busy at 8am in the morning. If train departs at 8.37am … shall we be there 30minutes prior to departure? We will have a trundle suitcase each of medium size.

thanks so much –

AusCol

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 July 2018 at 10:54:52 #892287

Hi AusCol,

Certainly you can buy tickets at the station a day or two ahead, whenever it is convenient for you.

I wouldn’t be there 30 minutes before a train departs – The train may not be on the track for you to board in any case (or doors locked). 10-15 minutes should be more than sufficient to board and find a free seat.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 July 2018 at 11:11:45 #892288

wonderful – so very helpful. I’m off and running with the planning now.

Cheers, AusCol

• The thread ‘Zermatt to Wengen, via Kandersteg train’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.