• madduris2000
    Participant
    32 posts
    1 September 2016 at 16:45:31 #810018

Hi friends,

I have following program:

1. Arrive Geneva from Paris 21/9/16 at 12.30 hrs by TGV

2. Geneva to Zermatt by train arriving Zermatt at 16.30

3. On 22/9/16 travel to Glacier Paradise( by cable car) and Gornergrat( by train)

4. On 23rd leave Zermatt in evening for Basel by 19.00 Hrs , to leave for Dusseldorf

4. I may do boat trip at Basel on Rhine

I propose to purchase Swiss Transfer Ticket for Travel from Geneva to Zermatt and Zermatt to Basel.

In combination I propose to buy “Half fare card ” to buy tickets at half fare to Glacier Paradise, Gornergrat and Basel river cruise.

According to my calculation for above program i should buy ” Swiss transfer ticket” in combo with Half fare pass.. Do you agree with this logic? Or have I missed some facts?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    1 September 2016 at 18:16:37 #855652

Hi madduris2000,

Thank you for posting on MySwissAlps! I agree that the Swiss Transfer Ticket Combi makes sense in your case, but note that validity of the ticket ends as soon as you’ve completed your return trip. So you won’t get a discount on the boat trip in Basel. A boat trip to Rheinfelden and return by train costs about CHF 45 without discounts, so it’s not a major difference. Shorter trips will of course be cheaper.

You’ll find all pass details here: myswissalps.com/ swisstransferticket. The Swiss Transfer Ticket Combi can not be printed at home, so please order in time so shipping won’t be an issue. In your case, from India, you can order it through http://www.raileurope.co.in/p ass/swiss-transfer-ticket-half-fare. Shipping is free and takes about 5 days.

madduris2000
    Participant
    32 posts
    1 September 2016 at 18:30:01 #855653

Hi Arno,

Thanks for quick reply. On my way from Zermatt to Basel is it feasible and worthwhile visiting Interlaken ( half fare ticket )?

I need to catch bus from Basel to Düsseldorf on 23rd night at 22.35 hrs .

Thanks

Sundar

Arno
    15471 posts
    1 September 2016 at 18:44:39 #855654

Hi Sundar,

To be honest, Interlaken is not very interesting, but the area south of Interlaken is wonderful. If you want to visit a city, Bern is worth your time, and it’s on your route. Please see:

madduris2000
    Participant
    32 posts
    2 September 2016 at 8:48:28 #855655

Hi Arno,

Thanks for that advise.

I kept 2 days in Zermatt since I may miss Matterhorn sighting if weather is bad. If I am lucky and weather is fine on my first day( 22nd Sept) , 2nd day (23rd Sept), I will move to Jungfraujoch leaving Zermatt early in morning.

I will travel from Zermatt to Spiez on my Swiss Transfer ticket and from Spiez I will buy return tickets to Jungfraujoch using Half fare Pass.

From Spiez .to Basel I will travel by an evening train, using my Swiss Transfer Ticket, to catch my bus from Basel to Dusseldorf .

Hope this plan will work

Regards

Sundar

Arno
    15471 posts
    3 September 2016 at 9:50:03 #855656

This should work if your hotel reservations are flexible and the weather cooperates. Have fun!

• The thread ‘Rail pass for trip to Zermatt and Basel’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.