Zermatt, Wengen or Grindelwald for a few days

• Tati_Moreira
    Participant
    8 posts
    13 March 2019 at 20:59:34 #820381

I want to stay couple days in a alpine village.

I’ve 2 options:

(1) Thun to Lautterbrunen + Wengen + Grindelwald and return to Thun.

and later go to Zermatt and stay there for 2 days.

or

(2) Just stay in Wengen (or Grindelwald) and visit Lauterbrunnen, Thun, Wengen, Murren, Grindelwald slowly

I went in Zermatt 2 years ago and loved it, so, know I’ve doubt if I must come back there or just stay in Interlaken region.

If your help says that I must stay in Jungfrau Region…Should I stay in Wengen or Grindelwald?

Tks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 March 2019 at 21:27:47 #906445

Hi Tatimoreira,

Both areas are beautiful, I would say that there is a lot to do specially in the Jungfrau area so perhaps it would be better to have a longer stay there given you have already seen Zermatt. However I will let others comment.

If you stay in the area then Wengen and Grindelwald are comparable – Wengen is car-free whilst Grindelwald is not. The time of year is also important, Grindelwald may be better if you’re coming during the low season for example…

Here is a forum thread that will help you with more information: http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/tips-about-wengen-and-the-jungfrau-region-by-kim

and here are links to your destinations for further information:

All the best in your planning!

Maria.

Tati_Moreira
    Participant
    8 posts
    13 March 2019 at 23:31:18 #906446

I’m going in 12 days, between March, 25 and April, 5.

My trip will be (option 1)

1 – Amsterdam

2 – Amsterdam

3 – Amsterdam

4 – Luzern

5 – Luzern – visit Bern

6 – Luzern – visit Gruyeres

7 – Wengen (or Grindelwald) – visit Thun + Interlaken

8 – Wengen (or Grindelwald) – visit Lauterbrunnen + Murren + Schilthorn

9 – Wengen (or Grindelwald) – visit Grindelwald + First + Wengen

10 – Zurich

11 – Zurich

My trip will be (option 2)

1 – Amsterdam

2 – Amsterdam

3 – Amsterdam

4 – Luzern

5 – Luzern – visit Bern

6 – Thun – visit Gruyeres

7 – Thun

8 – Thun – visit Lauterbrunnen + Wengen + Grindelwald + First

9 – Zermatt

10 – Zermatt

11 – Zurich

My doubt is about going to Zermatt or not.

I will be with my mother (65y) and daughter (1y6m), we are traveling with SwissPass.

I’ll appreciate your comments about my doubts 😉

Tks a lot!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 March 2019 at 16:07:19 #906447

Hi again Tati,

I posted the links to all the areas above so you can have a read and decide.

Personally, if I had already seen Zermatt I would stay longer in the Wengen and Grindelwald areas, given there is so much to do there, specially as I don’t like changing hotels and travelling too far (I would prefer to spend time on a cable car to the top of a mountain or hiking rather than travel across Switzerland), that’s just me 🙂

However your family priorities might be different, what is more important for your mum and daughter? By which criteria are you making your decision?

To verify travel times between your destinations, you can use the timetable tool http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Let us know more about what you are after and we’ll be happy to advise further 🙂

Maria.

• The thread ‘Zermatt, Wengen or Grindelwald for a few days’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.