Swiss Travel Pass coverage around Wengen

Swiss Travel Pass coverage around Wengen

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Ina
Ina
24 posts
Apr 27, 2018 - 2:56 AM

Folks, I am in Switzerland for 8 days, with family (2 Adults, 2 kids) staying in Wengen. If I buy 2 Swiss 8 days passes would the following travel be free ?

1. Wengen - Interlaken - Boat trip on lake brienz

2. Wengen - Grindelwald - Wengen

3. Wengen - Murren - Wengen

Thanks in advance !

Lucas
Lucas
8868 posts
expert &
Apr 27, 2018 - 5:53 AM in reply to Ina

Hi Ina,

Yes those 3 routes are covered by the Swiss Travel Pass - see what all is covered by the Swiss Travel Pass here.

How old are your kids? If under 6 they always ride free (no ticket or pass required). If 6 to 16 you need to order the free Swiss Family Card when ordering the Swiss Travel Pass - then they are free everywhere as well.

Removed user
Removed user
0 posts
Apr 28, 2018 - 1:43 AM in reply to Ina

Hi Ina,

>> 2. Wengen - Grindelwald - Wengen

There are three ways to travel to Grindelwald from Wengen:

• Train Wengen-Lauterbrunnen-Zweilütschinen-Grindelwald (free with Swiss Travel Pass)
  • Train Wengen-Kleine Scheidegg-Grindelwald (25% discount with Swiss Travel Pass)
  • Cable car Wengen-Männlichen, then gondola Männlichen-Grindelwald Grund, then train Grindelwald Grund to Grindelwald (50% discount on cable car and gondola; 25% discount on train). This route is only possible when the cable car and gondola are operating. For the remainder of 2018, this means 1 June to 21 October, then again from about the third week in December until the first few days of April the following year.

Alpenrose

Last modified on Apr 28, 2018 - 1:50 AM by Removed user
Ina
Ina
24 posts
Apr 29, 2018 - 12:00 AM

Lucas, Alpenrose - Thanks a lot for your responses & suggestions. We will be buying the 2 Swiss rail passes with Swiss family cards for our 2 kids (10, 15). Is there an additional discount if the 4 of us travel together always ?

Also, is the Jungfrau pass any additional value ? (Esp. when we plan to do the Top of Europe & Sphinx observatory for a day)

Ina
Ina
24 posts
Apr 29, 2018 - 1:15 AM in reply to Removed user

Clarifying my question a bit more - Will the Jungfrau pass give me the following cable car route for free as well ?

Cable car Wengen-Männlichen, then gondola Männlichen-Grindelwald Grund, then train Grindelwald Grund to Grindelwald

Lucas
Lucas
8868 posts
expert &
Apr 29, 2018 - 1:42 AM in reply to Ina

Hi Ina,

You can compare the coverage areas and discounts of the two passes here:

I wouldn't think the extra discount you get at Jungfraujoch would make up for the extra cost of the Jungfrau Travel Pass purchase. Usually people get one pass or the other.

Sometimes, if you spend most of your time in Switzerland in the Jungfrau region, buying a Swiss Half Fare Card and a Jungfrau Travel Pass can be a good idea.

If you want to do the math, to compare rail passes (once you have all your travel plans set) we have a spreadsheet here to help: https://www.myswissalp s.com/train/ticketspas ses/practical/choosera ilpass

Ina
Ina
24 posts
Apr 29, 2018 - 9:50 PM in reply to Lucas

Thanks again Lucas ! I'll stick to Swiss Travel Pass only.

When I browsed the routes that I are covered with STP Wengen - Grindelwald - Wengen is covered via rail and there is a discount on the cable cars, gondolas.

How do I calculate the cost for the following cable car travel ? Is there any pass that offers "Unlimited or Free" cable cars for a day ? Thought it would be fun for the kiddos ;)

Wengen-Männlichen, then gondola Männlichen-Grindelwald Grund, then train Grindelwald Grund to Grindelwald

Chantal
Chantal
944 posts
top member
Apr 30, 2018 - 6:52 AM in reply to Ina

Hi Ina,

There is no such a pass. I use the Swiss rails timetable to calculate fares.

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018