Zurich Airport customs: time needed for Americans

• Caroline679
    Participant
    47 posts
    29 June 2018 at 18:29:06 #816964

How much time should I allow as an American going through Customs at Zurich Airport? We will be flying in, and then catching a train right there at the Zürich Airport railway station (Bahnhof Zürich Flughafen). I’d be most appreciative of any advice on how much time that whole transition could take, so I can choose a realistic departure time for my train reservations.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 June 2018 at 19:39:22 #889729

Hi Caroline679 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

I would give yourself about an hour from landing to your train departure – maybe a little more to be safe. Although train reservations are very uncommon in Switzerland and generally not needed (or often not possible). Certainly not for Zurich airport to main station. Trains depart every 6-10 minutes if not more often to the main station.

Read more about reservations here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/train/reservatio ns

Nbunim
    Participant
    19 posts
    30 June 2018 at 2:06:24 #889730

Hi I’m not an expert but frequent traveler to switzerland . You definitely don’t need to do reservation on train from Zurich Airport to Zurich Bahnhof . Plus they ran very often . I think whole trip is 5min . Don’t worry about it .

kim11
    Participant
    606 posts
    30 June 2018 at 22:24:37 #889731

Hi Caroline

even if you are traveling further than main station (like, say to Wengen or Zermatt) you still don’t need a reservation. Trains run about every 20 to 30 minutes. So just go thru customs and buy your ticket for the next train there at airport train station. Easy breezy

• The thread ‘Zurich Airport customs: time needed for Americans’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.