Zurich Airport – Grindelwald – Venice by train

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 January 2018 at 16:33:09 #814059

Hello there!

We will be visiting Grindelwald for a day trip on April 6th (expected time of arrival in the airport is at 0655), then we will be heading out to Venice on the next day.

Regarding the train tickets and transfers, there some few questions that I want to ask from you guys, is it necessary and better for us to book a ticket online ahead of time? And does ‘transfer’ during train travel means literally transferring between one train to another? Is travelling by train the cheapest way to get to our destinations?

Thank you in advance. 🙂

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 January 2018 at 20:45:43 #874481

Hi cherryberry, and welcome to MySwissAlps,

You need reservations on the Italian trains and I would book the tickets ahead of time. Please read more here.

The Swiss Transfer Ticket allows a free transfer from any Swiss airport or border rail station to any Swiss town and on the last day a free transfer from any Swiss town to any Swiss airport or border rail station. Your point of entry and point of departure and the towns to travel to/from do not need to be the same. The price of such ticket is CHF 152,- (lowest online price currently). If you were to buy point-to-point tickets you would pay the same price for an adult. The difference is that the Swiss Transfer Ticket allows you traveling by train, bus, boat or mountain transport as well to get to your destination.

If you fill in your trip in the Swiss timetable, you’ll get to see the pricesfor point-to-point tickets. Please be advised that the prices shown for the Swiss trains are based on the Swiss Half Fare Card (50% discount) so you’ll have to multiply it by two.

In what context did you see ‘transfer’? I would say it means changing trains. The Swiss timetable also shows you when you need to change trains.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 January 2018 at 2:23:33 #874482

Thanks for your response, Chantal!

Swiss Transfer Ticket will be very useful for our airport transfer going to Grindelwald.

On the other hand, I’ve checked from the SBB site that the stations/stops from Grindelwald – Venezia Sta. Lucia would be Via Interlaken OST – Spiez – Brig, and that Swiss Transfer Ticket would allow us to travel free via Domodossola. My question is, will the Swiss Transfer Ticket cover the whole travel from Grindelwald to Venice?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    17 January 2018 at 2:35:21 #874483

Hi cherryberry,

The Swiss Travel Pass only get you to the Swiss border i.e Domodossola if you go that way or Chiasso if you go back through Lucerne. Not sure which is quicker although there is a direct train from Bellinzona to Venice which might be good.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 January 2018 at 7:40:46 #874484

Hi Cherryberry,

Yes, you’ll need a separate ticket for the Italian portion of the trip (Chiasso or Domodossola to Venice). You can buy that ticket online here. Use the timetable link from Chantal to see which station the train route you choose to take travels through.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 January 2018 at 13:05:29 #874485

I see, thank you guys for taking time to respond to my queries. We sure sill check the train timetables and connections for our journey. 🙂

• The thread ‘Zurich Airport – Grindelwald – Venice by train’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.