Home  ▶  Get in touch  ▶  Forum  ▶  Zurich Airport - Rhein Falls - Stein Am Rhein

Zurich Airport - Rhein Falls - Stein Am Rhein

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Mario anggor
Mario anggor
5 posts
Dec 17, 2019 - 7:56 AM

Hi, i will arrive at Swiss on 27 January, and i will travel buy swiss 4 days pass . I need an opinion or suggestion for my itineary below : (especially on 27 January)

27 January : Zurich airport - Rheinfalls - Stein Am Rhein - Zurich Airport - Zurich Old Town - Luzern

From Zurich Airport i hire a car to drive to rheinfalls and stein am rhein after that i returned the car to zurich airport, and take a train to zurich main station using swiss travel pass, deposit the luggage then stroll around zurich old town, then take the train to Luzern. Overnight at Luzern.

This is my concern because :

1. Take train from zurich airport - rheinfalls - stein am rhein take a lot of times, so i think better drive

2. Using an uber or taxi is very expensive.

3. Return the car at different location will be very expensive.

I wonder is it safe to drive to rhein falls and stein am rhein on January? or maybe do u have better options or suggestion please share.

28 January : Luzern - Zermatt, from Luzern i take a train to Zermatt (matternhorn express to klein matterhorn). Overnight at Zermatt

29 January : Zermatt - Interlaken - Basel, from Zermatt, i take train to Interlaken, go to Jungraujoch if possible then take a train to Basel. I watching the concert at Basel (overnight at Basel)

30 January : Basel - Montreux, by train go to glacier 3000

31 January : montreux - chamonix (by train, buying regular train ticket because swiss pass is expired) - geneva (overnight at geneva)

1 Feb : geneva - nice

Thank you very much for your attention. Cheers :)

Regards

Rio

Steph
Steph
2293 posts
top member
Dec 17, 2019 - 9:25 AM in reply to Mario anggor

Hello Rio and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

Your overall itinerary sounds very nice and varied. Make sure you get familiar with the timetable below to plan in detail, it's an invaluable tool for any planning:
- www.myswissalps.com/timetable

As for your first day, I think the option of renting a car for the Rhinefalls, Stein am Rhein trip is a very good one, as you will save quite some time and after that you rely on the public transport system, which is fantastic in Switzerland. Make sure you read:
- www.myswissalps.com/car
- www.myswissalps.com/car/carrental
- www.myswissalps.com/carversustrain

Alternatively there is also a guided tour to the Rhinefalls and Stein am Rhein, starting from Zurich with pickup option at the Airport (ending by the main station).
- Guided Tour Rhinefalls and Stein am Rhein
- www.myswissalps.com/rhinefalls
- www.myswissalps.com/airports/zurich

For input on the other bases/destinations you mention, you can type them into the search bar of this page.

Get back to us anytime for further support.

Best,
Steph

Also make sure to check:
- www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass

Last modified on Dec 17, 2019 - 9:26 AM by Steph
Mario anggor
Mario anggor
5 posts
Dec 23, 2019 - 11:25 AM in reply to Steph

Dear Ms Steph,

Thank you very much for your reply :). I wonder is it safe to drive from zurich airport to rhine falls, stein am rhein and back again to zurich airport since i heard there are a road closure if heavy snow fall, slippery road, etc. Thank you

Best Regards

Mario

Anna
Anna
890 posts
top member &
Dec 23, 2019 - 3:17 PM in reply to Mario anggor

Hi Mario anggor,

Just stick to the motorways and you’ll be fine. The drive is pretty flat all the way. I would recommend reading these links just so you are aware of the traffic regulations and driving peculiarities in Switzerland.

Driving in Switzerland: www.myswissalps.com/car

Traffic regulations: www.myswissalps.com/car/trafficregulations

Safe travel, and happy holidays.

Regards,

Anna

SWISS TRAVEL MUST KNOWS

All you need to know about traveling by train, bus or car in Switzerland.

More

NEED SOME TIPS ON WHERE TO SLEEP?

Hand picked Swiss hotels and other accommodations are right here.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2020