Which pass for Zurich Airport to Livigno?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 February 2016 at 10:44:43 #808477

Hello

My daughter will be landing in Zurich on 25 March 2016, this is Good Friday, will all the trains be traveling as normal even though it is a religious holiday ?

What is the best way for her to travel from Zurich airport to Livigno ?

i have heard about My Swiss Pass that I can purchase outside of Switzerland, is this a good idea ? She is a University student would she get a student rate ?

She will be meeting the rest of us ( family) in Livigno and then all 5 of us would love to do the snow train from Zernez back to Zurich. How do we do this and do we need to book ? If she took the My Swiss Pass return would this enable her to travel back on the snow train with us ?

Thank you so much for your help ?

Kind Regards

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    24 February 2016 at 11:15:52 #848668

Hi Squirrel,

There might be minor changes in train schedules, but nothing major. You can check in the timetable.

The Swiss Pass no longer exists. There is a product called like this, but it’s for Swiss citizens. As a tourist you need the Swiss Travel Pass: myswissalps.com/ swisstravelpass. You can buy it through http://www.swissrailways.com/ en. Be sure to pick “Online Ticket” when asked for delivery options, so you can print the pass at home. Whether this pass is the best choice depends on all of your travel plans. If you just need to travel from Zurich to Livigno and back, the Swiss Transfer Ticket is a better option: myswissalps.com/ swisstransferticket. You can buy it through the same website.

I have not heard of the snow train before. Can you provide a link with more information? All regular trains from Zernez to Zurich are covered with both passes I mentioned, and don’t need to be booked in advance.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 February 2016 at 5:17:32 #848669

Dear Arno

Thank you so much for your invaluable help, I really appreciate it.

Will the Swiss transfer ticket allow travel from Zurich Airport all the way to Livigno and then return ?

i will find out more about the snow train from Zernez to Zurich – but if there is only 1 train then maybe they call it this. Is this a beautiful journey ?

Does the train from Milan to Tirano go past Lake Como ? Is their a fast train from Milan to Tirano ?

Thank you again

kind regards

Squirrel

Arno
    15483 posts
    25 February 2016 at 8:27:11 #848670

Hi Squirrel,

Yes, the Swiss Transfer Ticket covers the entire trip (see the map). There are trains from Zernez to Zurich all day long (no direct trains though). With a Swiss Transfer Ticket you’re required to take the fastest route via Klosters and Landquart. It’s a pretty nice route. But you will see it on the way to Livigno too. Another option, also very scenic, is a slight detour via Samedan and Chur, then on to Zurich.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 February 2016 at 4:24:10 #848671

Dear Arno,

Thank you so much once again…very helpful.

I have a query regarding the Tirano to Zernez route – is the train that travels the Tirano-St Moritz route with the panoramic coach the same train that travels the Tirano-Zernez route? I know that the Tirano-St Moritz route is part of the beautiful Bernina Express route…is the Tirano-Zernez route also part of the Bernina Exress route?

Kind regards,

Squirrel

Arno
    15483 posts
    26 February 2016 at 8:41:36 #848672

You’re most welcome! Tirano to Zernez would be the Bernina Express route until Pontresina, where you change to a different train. The timetable and map I referred to in my previous posts help you find routes. Note that the Swiss Transfer Ticket only allows the quickest route from point A to B as suggested by the timetable. If you prefer different routes you need another pass or ticket.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 February 2016 at 9:13:03 #848673

Dear Arno

Really impressive all that you know, thank you, really appreciate your help.Onyour advice I have booked the Swiss transfer ticket from Zurich to Livigno, return, for my daughter where will be meeting her.

We need to get from Milan to Livigno and and are trying to do some of the beautiful Bernina Express route on a regional train.

I found out about a “lo viaggio ovunque in lombardia” pass that apparently gives you unlimited travel for one or two days in the entire Lombardy region. This I think would cover our traveling around Milan to Como and then up to Livigno. Do you anything about this pass and can I book online or only at the station ?

Once again a million thank you’s Arno

kind regards

Squirrel🐿

Arno
    15483 posts
    26 February 2016 at 9:38:26 #848674

Hi Squirrel,

In winter the options are somewhat limited but you could travel from Milan to Tirano by train, then another train to Pontresina, another one to Zernez and a bus to Livigno. It takes about all day to do that, but the scenery is wonderful and it includes the southern half of the Bernina Express route. All details are in the timetable. Como is not en route, unless you would go all the way via Zurich, but then you’d miss the Bernina Express route.

If you have two days for this trip you could do Milan – Göschenen – Andermatt – Chur (Glacier Express, partly) – St. Moritz (Bernina Express, partly) – Zernez – Livigno.

I think you need to study the timetable for your travel date, check the map, and see which options fit your requirements.

I don’t know the Italian pass you mentioned, sorry.

• The thread ‘Which pass for Zurich Airport to Livigno?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.