Zurich and the near area - 6 days

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
DD123
DD123
20 posts
Mar 27, 2017 - 2:46 PM

Hello all,

We will be staying in Zurich during the second week of April for 6 days and were wondering on the best pass options for traveling in the Zurich area at such time (with excursions out of Zurich to (a) Rhine falls + Schaffhausen + Stein am Rhein; (b) Lucerne + Mt. Pilatus; and (c) maybe another spot or two - any recommendations on nice half-day trips would also be greatly appreciated :)).

The questions is relevant for 3 adults and 3 children ages 2 and a half and 5 and a half (since my wife and I will be purchasing the 15-day STP as part of a longer trip):

1. What pass/ticket would you say is best for the adults? I couldn't find any local pass that covers only that area... And BTW, is there any discount for seniors/people with disability cards?

2 From what I understand, children up to the age of 5 travel for free and children from 6 to 15 can get a free pass to go with their parents' pass - that leaves a limbo for 5 until 6... I assume we're good there? :)

3. Any additional thoughts would be great as well. :)

Thanks!

Lucas
Lucas
10385 posts
expert &
Mar 27, 2017 - 5:23 PM in reply to DD123

Hi DD123,

1. So is the 15 day Swiss Travel Pass not going to be used until after this 6 day trip is done?
    You could get a ZurichCard to cover Zurich and/or an all zone day pass at ZVV.ch. But there is no pass that can cover Zurich and trips to Luzern. A Swiss Half Fare Card combined with the Swiss Family Card for your 5 and a half year old will give you the discounts on all train trips during those 6 days.
  2. 5 (or 5.5) years old and under are free and 6 to 15 on the Family Travel Card travel free. :)
  3. For ideas around Zurich I would recommend: Zurich Zoo, Uetliberg mountain and boat trips on Lake Zurich.

I hope that helps!

Lucas

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019