Zurich and the near area - 6 days

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
DD123
DD123
20 posts
Mar 27, 2017 - 2:46 PM

Hello all,

We will be staying in Zurich during the second week of April for 6 days and were wondering on the best pass options for traveling in the Zurich area at such time (with excursions out of Zurich to (a) Rhine falls + Schaffhausen + Stein am Rhein; (b) Lucerne + Mt. Pilatus; and (c) maybe another spot or two - any recommendations on nice half-day trips would also be greatly appreciated :)).

The questions is relevant for 3 adults and 3 children ages 2 and a half and 5 and a half (since my wife and I will be purchasing the 15-day STP as part of a longer trip):

1. What pass/ticket would you say is best for the adults? I couldn't find any local pass that covers only that area... And BTW, is there any discount for seniors/people with disability cards?

2 From what I understand, children up to the age of 5 travel for free and children from 6 to 15 can get a free pass to go with their parents' pass - that leaves a limbo for 5 until 6... I assume we're good there? :)

3. Any additional thoughts would be great as well. :)

Thanks!

Lucas
Lucas
9622 posts
expert &
Mar 27, 2017 - 5:23 PM in reply to DD123

Hi DD123,

1. So is the 15 day Swiss Travel Pass not going to be used until after this 6 day trip is done?
    You could get a ZurichCard to cover Zurich and/or an all zone day pass at ZVV.ch. But there is no pass that can cover Zurich and trips to Luzern. A Swiss Half Fare Card combined with the Swiss Family Card for your 5 and a half year old will give you the discounts on all train trips during those 6 days.
  2. 5 (or 5.5) years old and under are free and 6 to 15 on the Family Travel Card travel free. :)
  3. For ideas around Zurich I would recommend: Zurich Zoo, Uetliberg mountain and boat trips on Lake Zurich.

I hope that helps!

Lucas

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018