Zurich activity suggestions – Day trip Stuttgart?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 May 2018 at 14:14:30 #816273

Hi

I have incorporated many of your experts’ advice and i’m liking the forum. More advice is needed:

We have 4 days in Zurich in the end of our visit.

On 1st day of Zurich we shall be travelling to Rhine falls and back. If time permits we visit Bahnoffstrasse.

Day 2 will be for Zurich zoo and then a cruise in the later part of the day. If weather is good in morning we may take cruise in morning.

Day 3 is for Utliberg and some more window shopping later on.

Need a suggestion for day 3 (post-lunch) and day 4. I was hoping for a visit to Stuttgart but is it possible for just 1 day? Any other suggestion for the day?

Cheers

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    28 May 2018 at 19:46:42 #886564

<<“Need a suggestion for day 3 (post-lunch) and day 4. I was hoping for a visit to Stuttgart but is it possible for just 1 day? Any other suggestion for the day?”>>

Use the time table to understand the time to travel to Stuttgart:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Consider Skt Gallen and vicinity (Ebenalp, Saentis,) or a lake boat ride on Lake Lucerne.

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/st-gall-aka-sankt-gallen-and-good-bratwurst

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 May 2018 at 5:46:21 #886565

Yes Stuttgart is quite the day trip from Zurich – doable if you really want to see something there?

I’d pick St. Gallen or Ebenalp as Slowpoke recommends. Here is a trip report about a day trip I made there last year:
    https://www.myswissalp s.com/forum/topic/eben alp-appenzell-from-zurich-day-trip

For a 1/2 day in Zurich after Uetliberg (https://www.myswissalp s.com/hiking/uetliberg -felsenegg) perhaps a museum visit? The FIFA museum is there as are great art galleries. Beachs are also really nice on Lake Zurich if the weather cooperates. Be sure to go across the river from bahnhofstrasse to explore the old town as well.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2018 at 10:07:05 #886566

Thank you Slowpoke & Lucas for your kind advices.

For day 3 post lunch option, is St Gallen doable?

For day 4 we are considering Basel instead of Stuttgart to see more of Swiss than any other thing. Hope my choice is correct? What all we can see in Basel?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2018 at 12:55:17 #886567

St. Gallen is about an hour from Zurich so you can visit it in the afternoon if you like.
    Use the timetable again to plan the trips.

Nothing wrong with Basel, but I’d choose a day trip to Bern or Lucerne first – much more popular towns to visit and I think have more to see and do for the average tourist.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2018 at 16:23:17 #886568

Hi Lucas

we shall have already covered both Bern n Lucerne while our stay at interlaken.

so now we were only looking for options from Zurich, that is, northern and eastern Swiss.

more insight on Basel please.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2018 at 19:36:11 #886569

I’ve only spent an afternoon in Basel (meeting a friend for lunch and drinks) so I don’t have any personal recommendations for the day. I’d spend my time near the Rhine river I think.

The Basel link on my last post has our suggested activities to do there. I’d rather the spend a full day (day 4) in St. Gallen and/or the Appenzell area and spend my open 1/2 day just in Zurich or go to Basel then.

Arno
    15471 posts
    31 May 2018 at 21:00:49 #886570

Basel has a very nice historical town center, a cathedral and many other churches, and lots of museums. It depends on your interests if that fills a day, or multiple days, for you.

Many museums are free with the Swiss Travel Pass, including the popular Tinguely museum.

• The thread ‘Zurich activity suggestions – Day trip Stuttgart?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.