Rail pass for Zurich, Bern, Lucerne, Jungfraujoch

Rail pass for Zurich, Bern, Lucerne, Jungfraujoch

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
ohprttyby
ohprttyby
3 posts
Jan 18, 2018 - 6:04 AM

Hi all.

I will be travelling into Zurich this July, and am slightly lost right now with the route, and how does the swiss pass will help me.

The following is my itinerary, please advise if the swiss pass will be useful or not.

Day 1; Zurich

Day 2: Jungfraujoch

I understand I'll have to take the cogwheel train from kleine scheidegg, that is at 25% disc, however, what is the original price?

the pass will cover my trip from zurich - interlaken -grindelwald/Lauterbrunnen - klein scheidegg right?

I also understand, there's a few things that we can do up in jungfraujoch, like observation deck and the ice palace, will that require additional admission fee, or all is included together with the cogwheel train ticket.

Day 3: Zurich to Bern & Lucerne

Does the swiss pass cover for both my trips to bern and lucerne?

Is it possible to cover both bern and lucerne in 1 day? Only doing the major tourist attractions.

Lucas
Lucas
7106 posts
expert &
Jan 18, 2018 - 6:36 AM in reply to ohprttyby

Hi ohprttyby and welcome to MySwissAlps!

I would think the Swiss Travel Pass is a good option for your proposed itinerary. The only way to find out is to do the math on all your planned trips and compare regular tickets vs. the rail pass cost. We have a web page here that will help with the math.

You can see what routes and mountains are covered by the Swiss Travel Pass here.

It will cover all your planned trips fully except Jungfraujoch - you are fully covered to either Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen (two way to get there). After that you get 25% off the ticket cost. We have a PDF price list noted on this link under "more information". The regular price is about 190 CHF round-trip (then -25% if you have the Swiss Travel Pass).

I guess technically you can see both downtown Bern and Lucerne in one day if you get an early start. Use the Swiss railways timetable to plan out all your trips.

Last modified on Jan 18, 2018 - 6:36 AM by Lucas
Alpenrose666
Alpenrose666
2419 posts
top member
Jan 25, 2018 - 7:15 AM in reply to ohprttyby

>> I understand I'll have to take the cogwheel train from kleine scheidegg

The route to the Jungfraujoch is described here:

www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfraujoch/gettingther e

>> that is at 25% disc, however, what is the original price?

A price list showing full fares can be found here:

www.jungfrau.ch/filead min/Prospekte_und_Bros chueren/Jungfraubahnen _Fahrpreise_Preisliste .pdf

Alpenrose

Alpenrose666
Alpenrose666
2419 posts
top member
Jan 25, 2018 - 7:19 AM in reply to Lucas

Hi Lucas,

>> I would think the Swiss Travel Pass is a good option for your proposed itinerary ... It will cover all your planned trips fully except Jungfraujoch - you are fully covered to either Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen (two way to get there). After that you get 25% off the ticket cost.

The Swiss Travel Pass provides free travel to Wengen, which is two stops beyond Lauterbrunnen! The 25% discount kicks in from Wengen (or from Grindelwald on the other side).

Alpenrose

Lucas
Lucas
7106 posts
expert &
Jan 25, 2018 - 8:28 AM in reply to Alpenrose666

Ah yes. Brain synapses weren't firing well that day!
They'll save a few extra dollars.

Thanks for the correction Alpenrose.

Last modified on Jan 25, 2018 - 8:35 AM by Lucas
ohprttyby
ohprttyby
3 posts
Jan 27, 2018 - 4:18 PM

thanks for the info guys! I finally get a clear view of my route.

what about the attractions up on jungfraujoch?

I heard there's an observation deck, ice palace etc. any additional ticket needed to get access to all this? is it based on admission for each attraction, or everything is priced under 1 package? will there be any discount by using the swiss pass?

Lucas
Lucas
7106 posts
expert &
Jan 27, 2018 - 7:02 PM in reply to ohprttyby

Once you are at the top you are good to go! You can read about the activities at Jungfraujoch here.
Sledging or using the snow park would be extra though.

Last modified on Jan 27, 2018 - 7:23 PM by Lucas

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018