Rail pass for Zurich, Bern, Lucerne, Jungfraujoch

• ohprttyby
    Participant
    6 posts
    18 January 2018 at 6:04:53 #814072

Hi all.

I will be travelling into Zurich this July, and am slightly lost right now with the route, and how does the swiss pass will help me.

The following is my itinerary, please advise if the swiss pass will be useful or not.

Day 1; Zurich

Day 2: Jungfraujoch

I understand I’ll have to take the cogwheel train from kleine scheidegg, that is at 25% disc, however, what is the original price?

the pass will cover my trip from zurich – interlaken -grindelwald/Lauterbrunnen – klein scheidegg right?

I also understand, there’s a few things that we can do up in jungfraujoch, like observation deck and the ice palace, will that require additional admission fee, or all is included together with the cogwheel train ticket.

Day 3: Zurich to Bern & Lucerne

Does the swiss pass cover for both my trips to bern and lucerne?

Is it possible to cover both bern and lucerne in 1 day? Only doing the major tourist attractions.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 January 2018 at 6:36:33 #874545

Hi ohprttyby and welcome to MySwissAlps!

I would think the Swiss Travel Pass is a good option for your proposed itinerary. The only way to find out is to do the math on all your planned trips and compare regular tickets vs. the rail pass cost. We have a web page here that will help with the math.

You can see what routes and mountains are covered by the Swiss Travel Pass here.

It will cover all your planned trips fully except Jungfraujoch – you are fully covered to either Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen (two way to get there). After that you get 25% off the ticket cost. We have a PDF price list noted on this link under “more information”. The regular price is about 190 CHF round-trip (then -25% if you have the Swiss Travel Pass).

I guess technically you can see both downtown Bern and Lucerne in one day if you get an early start. Use the Swiss railways timetable to plan out all your trips.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 January 2018 at 7:15:22 #874546

>> I understand I’ll have to take the cogwheel train from kleine scheidegg

The route to the Jungfraujoch is described here:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfraujoch/gettingther e

>> that is at 25% disc, however, what is the original price?

A price list showing full fares can be found here:

http://www.jungfrau.ch/filead min/Prospekte_und_Bros chueren/Jungfraubahnen _Fahrpreise_Preisliste .pdf

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 January 2018 at 7:19:20 #874547

Hi Lucas,

>> I would think the Swiss Travel Pass is a good option for your proposed itinerary … It will cover all your planned trips fully except Jungfraujoch – you are fully covered to either Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen (two way to get there). After that you get 25% off the ticket cost.

The Swiss Travel Pass provides free travel to Wengen, which is two stops beyond Lauterbrunnen! The 25% discount kicks in from Wengen (or from Grindelwald on the other side).

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 January 2018 at 8:28:14 #874548

Ah yes. Brain synapses weren’t firing well that day!
    They’ll save a few extra dollars.

Thanks for the correction Alpenrose.

ohprttyby
    Participant
    6 posts
    27 January 2018 at 16:18:45 #874549

thanks for the info guys! I finally get a clear view of my route.

what about the attractions up on jungfraujoch?

I heard there’s an observation deck, ice palace etc. any additional ticket needed to get access to all this? is it based on admission for each attraction, or everything is priced under 1 package? will there be any discount by using the swiss pass?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 January 2018 at 19:02:20 #874550

Once you are at the top you are good to go! You can read about the activities at Jungfraujoch here.
    Sledging or using the snow park would be extra though.

• The thread ‘Rail pass for Zurich, Bern, Lucerne, Jungfraujoch’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.