Zurich, Domodossola, Geneva, Frankfurt in August

• Lmyuen88
    Participant
    42 posts
    1 June 2022 at 14:17:41 #827380

Aug 2 arrive Zurich

Aug 3 train to Frankfurt for tour until august 15 – can I use SBB from Zurich to Basel? or all the way thru to Frankfurt? And on my way back from Basel to Zurich? How does this work? Show pass on Swiss train and pay for Germany leg of trip?

August 14 back to Zurich

August 15 day trip to Liechtenstein. Swiss pass?

Aug 16 train to Domodossola, Italy for one night. Can I use Swiss pass all the way thru or only to Brig?

August 17 Domodossola to Geneva Swiss pass

August 18 hop on hop off bus in Geneva SBB?

August 19 day trip to Chamonix, want to do Aigille du MIDI, and back to geneva

August 20 and 21 to Annecy, France

The stay in Geneva and Annecy not set in stone, but dependent on sunny day to go to Chamonix when weather is good

i want to stop at Gruyère to taste the cheese and while I’m there, candy, 😋! Will golden pass take me there? Can I take golden pass to Zurich on the 24, leave Zurich 25. Wanted to change flight and stay longer, but airfare tickets exploded and so now I have to cram everything in a short time.

Should I get flex pass for 8 days? Can I keep my luggage with me on 2nd class or do I have to get 1st class ticket?

is the weather historically decent in August?

I appreciate any help with these ten days. Thank you very much.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 June 2022 at 0:37:53 #942702

First of all: A Swiss Travel Pass will be valid on all the trains in Switzerland that you have mentioned so far in your plan (it is also valid on all other forms of transport)

Aug 3 train to Frankfurt can I use SBB from Zurich to Basel? or all the way thru to Frankfurt? And on my way back from Basel to Zurich? How does this work? Show pass on Swiss train and pay for Germany leg of trip?

For geographical reason, German Federal railways runs into Basel’s main station, Basel SBB. Therefore if travelling to Frankfurt it is easiest to take any Swiss inter city train and have a break at Basel before taking an internal German express train north to Frankfurt

August 15 day trip to Liechtenstein.

To get into Liechtenstein you get a bus from the SBB station at Sargans

Aug 16 train to Domodossola, Italy for one night. Can I use Swiss pass all the way thru or only to Brig?

Swiss tickets are valid to Domodossola (Domo) as the railway through the iconic Simplon tunnel is Swiss-owned as far as Domo

August 18 hop on hop off bus in Geneva SBB?

Not sure what you mean by this question. But in the meantime note that in French speaking Switzerland (known as Suisse Romande) the federal railway is CFF (Chemin de Fer Federaux) instead of SBB

i want to stop at Gruyère to taste the cheese and while I’m there, candy, 😋! Will golden pass take me there?

To get to Gruyeres the route is Geneva – Montreux – Montbovon – Gruyeres. Montreux – Montbovon is MOB railway over the original ‘Golden Pass‘ . Montbovon – Gruyeres is Fribourg region railways (TPF).

From Gruyeres you can go direct to Bern and on to Zurich, or you can go back to Montbovon to complete the true ‘Golden Pass’ on the rest of the MOB on to Zweisimmen. From Zweisimmen you can go direct to Bern

Should I get flex pass for 8 days? Can I keep my luggage with me on 2nd class or do I have to get 1st class ticket?

luggage can be taken on all European main line trains regardless of the type of carriage you travel in

is the weather historically decent in August?

Due to School many of my holidays in Switzerland are in August and the weather is mainly good, apart from the odd stormy period

I

Lmyuen88
    Participant
    42 posts
    2 June 2022 at 2:27:42 #942703

Thanks for info. I need clarification on a few. The trip to Frankfurt; at Zurich train station, how can I tell if the train is inter city? Is there a customer service or information kiosk at train station to help people like me? Then when I get to Basel, I’m assuming that there’s a reader board to let you know the track number of the train that goes to Frankfurt. Can I purchase ticket online, Basel to Frankfurt? And of course do opposite coming back to Zurich.

now Liechtenstein, I read train to just inside Liechtenstein and bus the rest of the way. I just get bus you mentioned and no train. 🤷‍♀️

Sorry for all these questions but traveling by myself is a bit overwhelming especially at my age (78). I will go on Rick Steve’s forum and ask questions about Chamonix and Annecy. Is that ok to say that?🫢

Really appreciate your response. 😇

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 June 2022 at 19:21:30 #942704

Hi Lmyuen88,

as you are going to Germany, this might be useful for you: http://www.myswissalps.com/traintickets/germany/. Yes, you can purchase your ticket online in advance: http://www.myswissalps.com/traintickets/germany/price.

Yes, at the Zurich train station you’ll find an office, where they help you if you need it. But if you check the timetable, it will show you the platform number. Learn more about how to travel by Swiss trains: http://www.myswissalps.com/train/practical/howtotravel

The weather is usually warm in August, you can read more about it here: http://www.myswissalps.com/besttimetovisit.

At http://www.myswissalps.com/geneva/activities you’ll find some guided tours in Geneva. And regarding the hop on hop off busses, please check this one: http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/hop-on-hop-off-bus.

You can get a Swiss Travel Pass (15 days) or a Swiss Travel Pass Flex (8 days).

Please note, that I’ve added a few links in 1960man’s answer, feel free to visit them for more information.

Do not worry, we are glad to help. 🙂

Take care,

Ildiko

Lmyuen88
    Participant
    42 posts
    3 June 2022 at 20:13:43 #942705

Thank you IIdiko. Really appreciate your suggestions.

I think I’m comfortable maneuvering around Switzerland. I just have to check connecting train to Frankfurt. I may have more questions. My itinerary is changing daily. 😊

Not sure about my last leg from Geneva to Zurich with stop in between for cheese and candy. Will get back when I know what I’m doing. Thank you 😊

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 June 2022 at 23:24:46 #942706

If you want a direct train Zurich – Frankfurt, they leave Zurich (usually from track 12 or 13) every two hours starting at 05.59 in the morning, so the departures are at 05.59, 07.59, 09.59 etc

The trains are called ICE, which is the German Federal Railways’ high speed train (ICE = Inter City Express) and they are pure white

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 June 2022 at 23:26:25 #942707

The quickest way to Liechtenstein is a fast train Zurich – Sargans, then a bus from Sargans across the border into Liechtenstein.

There isn’t a great deal to see in Liechtenstein.

Lmyuen88
    Participant
    42 posts
    4 June 2022 at 7:12:38 #942708

Thank you for this info.Yes, I read Liechtenstein has nice hiking trails, castles and just a small little town with some shopping. But I read they stamp your passport. So that’s what I’m going to get. I have to do more research on train connections for Frankfurt, which is tricky for me because I have to be at Frankfurt airport before 2:00pm. Again thanks for your help. Gladly accept suggestions. 😊

Arno
    15482 posts
    4 June 2022 at 9:12:41 #942709

No problem, the trains are fast. It takes about 4 hours to reach Frankfurt Airport from Zurich. The airport has a train station, called “Frankfurt(M) Flughafen Fernbf”.

Enjoy the ride!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 June 2022 at 12:03:38 #942710

Direct ICE from Zurich do not go to Frankfurt airport’s mainline station, so you would need to get the 05.59 or 07.59 ICE from Zurich to Frankfurt and link to the airport by another train.

Alternatively, you can go Zurich – Stuttgart and change at Stuttgart into an ICE direct to Frankfurt Flughafen Fernbahnhof

Best option is to use the German Railway on line timetable:

http://www.bahn.com/en

Lmyuen88
    Participant
    42 posts
    4 June 2022 at 14:24:44 #942711

here’s what I got Leaves zurich hb @ 7:59 for Frankfurt main hbf, 0 changes? Arrive frankfurt 11:52 Travel time 3 hours 53 minutes

is train s station under airport? Do I just take elevator up to arrival to meet group. I don’t know what the bottom paragraph is trying to tell me except that I must wear mask. Do they serve coffee and something to eat on train?

thanks millions for your help

– 11:52

| 3h 53min

, 0 Changes

ICE

Zürich HB

Frankfurt(Main)Hbf

Hide details

from 47,90 €

07:59

Zürich HB

ICE 76

Hamburg-Altona

Further information

Pl. 17

Intercity-Express
    9-Euro-Ticket nicht gültig (Basel SBB –> Frankfurt(Main)Hbf), Komfort Check-in possible (visit bahn.de for more information) (Basel SBB –> Frankfurt(Main)Hbf), Please wear an FFP2 mask. You are legally required to do so (Basel SBB –> Frankfurt(Main)Hbf), Bicycles conveyed – subject to reservation , Number of bicycles conveyed limited , Bordrestaurant , vehicle-mounted access aid
    Operator: SBB, DB Fernverkehr AG

Anna
    6355 posts
    4 June 2022 at 19:56:23 #942712

Hi Lmyuen88.

I agree with 1960man. If your final destination is Frankfurt Airport, then you should travel via Stuttgart. The above route takes you to the main railway station in Frankfurt and you would need to take a connection train to the airport.

By the way, Bordrestaurant indicates there is a restaurant aboard the train.

Let us know if you need more info.

regards,

Anna

Lmyuen88
    Participant
    42 posts
    5 June 2022 at 14:03:11 #942713

Hi Anna and thank you for your suggestion. Unfortunately, Germany is the beginning of my journey. The only thing I have to plan is getting there and leaving Germany for Zurich to begin my adventure in Switzerland. One question, do taxicabs take credit cards or just Swiss Franc? Thank you

Anna
    6355 posts
    6 June 2022 at 7:02:48 #942714

Hi Lmyuen88,

Yes, most taxi services accept card payment too.

Regards,

Anna

Lmyuen88
    Participant
    42 posts
    6 June 2022 at 13:23:57 #942715

Thank you Anna. One more question checked off my my list. 😊

• The thread ‘Zurich, Domodossola, Geneva, Frankfurt in August’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.