Jan 25, 2020 - 1:59 PM
in reply to Chrisfcs
Welcome to MySwissAlps!
I'd highly recommend you use the SBB timetable to plan your journeys: www.myswissalps.com/timetable. There is also a mobile version you can download. The timetable will tell you the quickest route or connection from Zurich Airport to Rubigen via Bern, Zurich to Thun etc. And will also list all the different types of tickets available including prices. Do take note, these prices are half-fare prices by default.
To answer your questions,
- yes, there is a direct train to Bern from Zurich Airport. It takes about 1 hr 12 mins. The Zurich Airport train station is located within the airport complex itself, at the lowest level: "Level 02" right below the "Check-in 3" area at "Level 01"
- as you will only be in Switzerland for 2 days, and would preferably like more flexibility when you are travelling, you should consider getting the Saver Day Pass. It's basically a 1-day rail pass that allows you unlimited travel on public transport for 1 day up to 5am the next day. With this ticket you don't have to stress or worry about buying tickets each time you travel, like you would if you buy point-to-point tickets. Sometimes a Saver Day Pass can be cheaper than a point-to-point ticket if you book early.
More details about the Saver Day Pass here: www.myswissalps.com/saverdaypass.
And details about Point-to point tickets here: www.myswissalps.com/traintickets/switzerland
- It's very common here to take your luggage with you on the train. You can put your luggage in the designated space over the seats, between the backrests, or at the end of the coach.
More details here: www.myswissalps.com/train/practical/luggage
- To purchase return tickets on the SBB website for point-to-point tickets, click on the preferred connection, then click on purchase tickets, then choose either single or return.
- The train journey from Rubigen to Zurich Aiport via Bern takes about 1 hr 45 mins. If you take the 7.28 am train, you would reach the airport at 9.14 am. Trains leave Rubigen for Bern every half hour, try and take the earliest possible connection so you'll have enough time to reach the airport even if you miss your connection in Bern.
These links may also be useful:
Zurich Airport: www.myswissalps.com/airports/zurich
Hope this helps!
Last modified on Jan 25, 2020 - 2:15 PM by Anna