Zurich Hotel recommendation for April 29

• Kweinheimer
    Participant
    8 posts
    27 April 2018 at 2:02:08 #815552

Hello –

Arriving Zurich by train Sunday afternoon & looking for a great hotel . . .

One night in Zurich, centrally located for walking around town late afternoon evening. Near the train station would be good as we leave Monday for Muerren.

Any input helps as I need to book the room asap.

Thank you for the assist.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 April 2018 at 5:57:29 #883348

Hi Kweinheimer,

We have a list of recommended hotels for Zurich here– and it is noted how close they are to the main train station. I’m not sure your budget, but for a reasonable price, 3 star hotel, I’ve had family stay at the Hotel Montana and thought it was nice (it is on the link above).

pvonk
    Participant
    382 posts
    27 April 2018 at 16:41:41 #883349

Yes to Hotel Montana. My son and I stayed there for one night (arriving from Lucerne, off to airport next morning) last October. It was perfectly good, no negatives that we encountered. It’s an easy walk to the train station. In the afternoon of the first day, we walked from the hotel (in the northern part of the Zurich) down to the southern tip by the lake. Zurich is just another city (but it does have an Apple Store!) but down in the older part of town, you’ll find the typical old architecture with that certain bit of ambiance.

Unfortunately, we didn’t know how the trolly system worked (does the STP cover it??? or do we pay on the trolly?). Perhaps someone else can answer that. If using the trolly is easy, I would recommend that for getting from end of town to the other. We did walk across the river near the train station to the small cog train that takes you to ETH (the university) up a steep hill. It was interesting, if you are an academic!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 April 2018 at 0:58:23 #883350

>> Unfortunately, we didn’t know how the trolly system worked (does the STP cover it??? or do we pay on the trolly?). Perhaps someone else can answer that.

Do you mean the trams?

Yes, they are covered by the Swiss Travel Pass, but it would not make sense to use the Swiss Travel Pass for local transport in Zürich unless you had also made a longer journey outside Zürich on the same day.

Tickets can be bought from ticket machines at tram stops. Single tickets are timed. A Day Pass lasts for 24 hours and costs the same as 2 single tickets. You must buy your ticket before boarding the tram.

There is information on the various ticket options here:

http://www.zvv.ch/zvv/en/trav elcards-and-tickets/tickets.html

Having decided which type of ticket to get, you will need to work out how many zones it needs to cover. Note that Zone 110 in Central Zürich counts as two zones for calculating ticket cost.

There is a Zone Map here and they are also at tram stops etc:

http://www.zvv.ch/zvv/en/time table/zonenplan.html

>> We did walk across the river near the train station to the small cog train that takes you to ETH (the university) up a steep hill.

That funicular is called the Polybahn, and is a short, but fun ride. There is a good view over the rooftops of Zürich from the ETH terrace.

I have written about it in my post of Mar 12, 2018 – 3:23 AM on the following page. There are also some photos attached a little further down that page:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/need-help-in-deciding-no-of-days-of-stp

Alpenrose

pvonk
    Participant
    382 posts
    28 April 2018 at 1:03:59 #883351

Thanks for the tram ticket info. Yes, we each had an 8-day STP, Zurich being our last stop. At least now I know.

I’m embarrassed to say that we weren’t sure whether the STP could be used on the Polybahn. There was a ticket machine at the base but we couldn’t figure out what ticket to get. I asked a young woman (using my half forgotten french) how to get a ticket. Fortunately she and a friend knew english and told my son and I that no one uses tickets except at the morning and evening rushes. This was around 8 or 9 pm, so we followed them and just got on the funicular. Sure enough, no one was collecting tickets up or down.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 April 2018 at 2:26:56 #883352

Haha. Yes I’m sure the University students know when the ticket inspectors are likely to be onboard! 🙂

• The thread ‘Zurich Hotel recommendation for April 29’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.