Fastest way from Interlaken to Milan

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 February 2018 at 14:12:54 #814440

I´m traveling from Milan to Zurich, Lucerne and Inerlaken. What is the fastest way from Interlaken to Milan

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 February 2018 at 18:52:28 #876869

Hi Annie65, and welcome to MySwissAlps,

I am assuming your traveling by train? If you use the Swiss timetable http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable and fill in from Interlaken to Milan the tool will give you by default the fastest route.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 February 2018 at 18:59:51 #876870

Thank you very much. Yes, I am travelling by train.

Also, I am a little confused regarding the different train passes available. Eurail, Railpass, swisspass…Since my trip begins in Milan, and will be traveling by train to Zurich and Interlaken, which pass would be best for me?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 February 2018 at 19:24:31 #876871

In order to pick the best rail pass for your trip read our page on how to choose the best rail pass. You will need to check the prices of all your planned train, bus, gondola, boat tickets (you plan to take) and do the math to compare prices. We have a spreadsheet on that page to help you do the calculation.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 February 2018 at 19:47:58 #876872

Excellent. Thanks for the assistance.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    20 February 2018 at 22:23:31 #876873

Eurail Pass will only be of use if you are doing a lot of train travel in Italy prior to reaching Switzerland.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    21 February 2018 at 2:08:40 #876874

To add to what Rockoyster has already stated, a train ticket to Chiasso, just over the Swiss border from Italy, will cost less than 10 Euros for a direct train and less than 6 Euros with a change of train en route.

Over how many days are you doing this trip to Switzerland ? If I read your question correctly, I assume that you are returning to Milan. Make sure you follow Chantal’s advice about costing out what you are planning to do to see which pass would be the best fit for you or even if buying tickets as you go would be better. Just keep in mind that the advantage of a pass is that you can modify what you do on a daily basis.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 February 2018 at 16:28:08 #876875

Thank you. I´m traveling from Milan to Zurich by train and staying in Zurich/Lucerne for two days, on the third day, I will travel to Interlaken, stay overnight and return at the end of the day to Milan.

Arno
    15484 posts
    25 February 2018 at 10:27:41 #876876

Hi Annie,

A 4-day Swiss Travel Pass could make sense for the Swiss portion of your trip, plus tickets for the Italian legs as explained above. Did you find a pass that suits your needs?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 February 2018 at 22:57:15 #876877

Thank you all for your help. I think I am ready. I’m purchasing the 4 day Swisspass and separate portiions for Milan-Zurich/Interlaken-Milan. Thank you again!

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    25 February 2018 at 23:24:46 #876878

Hi Annie,

It’s the Swiss Travel Pass (the Swiss Pass is a different product for Swiss residents). Remember you only need a separate ticket between Milan and the Swiss border. Within Switzerland your are covered by the STP.

You asked for the fastest route Milan to Zurich. I would stay in Lucerne, not Zurich. You can go direct to Lucerne and skip Zurich altogether.

If you had the time and depending on what time of year you are travelling you could take the very scenic Gotthard Panorama Express (http://www.myswissalps.com/go tthardpanoramaexpress) or follow that route on regular trains. If Time is short you can scrap the boat leg and just used trains. Just make sure you add via Göschenen to follow the scenic train route.

The fastest route will always take you via the Gotthard Base tunnel where you will spend 57km underground with not a lot to look at. Take a good book.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 February 2018 at 1:29:34 #876879

Thank you for clesring that point up. Will make sure not to make a mistake when purchasing.

I have very little time and will look forward to coming back to your suggested route.

Regards and thank you again!

• The thread ‘Fastest way from Interlaken to Milan’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.